N. Korea-Axis of Evil

pistoff

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
N Korea has the right to have nuclear weapons, The US has 3,000 nuclear warheads and say to others you can't have them unless we say you can seems hypocritical.

N. Korea, Israel, S Africa, India and Pakistan all have them now. Nations enjoy the deterrence and respect these weapons provide.

N. Korea violated an agreement with a number of countries. This matter has to be addressed, although the US failed to build the alternative reactors promised them as well, also a violation of said agreement. There is more than one angle to a dispute in this complex world.

To remove the troops and take out the reactor sounds dangerous much more than their possessing these weapons. Withdrawing the troops merely sentences all Koreans to a possible nuclear holocaust, supposedly without direct US casualties.

Why not try to address all the grievances, in an multi-national setting, at least right now, to get to the bottom of it? So many nations border N. Korea and the radiation from an explosion can affect so many people around there that it's simply foolish to go and take out N Korea unless the imminence of a war was there.

Why does the US Govt. insist upon N. Korea destroying and proving that they have destroyed these weapons before the US will sign a Non-agression Pact, at the very least?

Why can't the US along with it's Allies send food to N. Korea? In exchange for food perhaps the US and it's Allies could ask the N. Korean Govt. to allow a few thousand of it's political prisoners to immigrate to the West?

Can't the US and it's Allies think of ways to help the N. Korean people without threatening to invade their country? Perhaps the carrot would be more effective than the stick?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 13
No top replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:58 pm
Re: N. Korea-Axis of Evil
pistoff wrote:
S Africa

Do they?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:11 pm
No
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:16 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
No

Didn't think so.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:21 pm
Yeah, they probably have the most well-documented WMD inspections in history. They are the textbook case for WMD inspections and they were cooperative throughout.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:13 pm
OK
Why can't the US along with it's Allies send food to N. Korea? In exchange for food perhaps the US and it's Allies could ask the N. Korean Govt. to allow a few thousand of it's political prisoners to immigrate to the West?

Can't the US and it's Allies think of ways to help the N. Korean people without threatening to invade their country? Perhaps the carrot would be more effective than the stick?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
You mean to appease the dictator? When you start rewarding a countries ill behavior, you set a bad example, especially for those countries who do not kill their own people.

It really is like a kindergarten class. You don't appease the trouble makers while ignoring the good kids. You punish them and praise the good kids.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
The problem with that analogy is that the US holds no authority over North Korea.

It's more like a pissed off neighbour, you have guns pointing at him and he's building gus as fast as he can. He says he'll only stop if you sign a non-agression treaty.

In other words, you promise not to kill me and I'll stop building guns to counter your guns.

In short I think South Korea had it right with the sunshine policy.

Now as to the internal woes they know they have a problem, and they are very much ready to start to move toward capitalism. To me the best way to encourage this is through a delicate dance. We already saw them try to establish a free market (read capitalist) enclave.

Lots of absolute nonsense is posted here about "not rewarding" and "punishing". It's very ill-informed.

The North Koreans are being punished by delibating sanctions. We are helping keep the people poor and dying to "punish" the dictator.

That much I agree with, as it's what is motivating the economic change.

But to those who think signing a non-agression treaty is a reward I can only say that the notion is like saying that me agreeing not to kill someone is a "reward".

North Korea deserves a non-agression treaty. A non-agression treaty would be broken by their agression and that is precisely what the worst case scenario is anyway.

What I'd do:

Immediately sign the treaty in return for denuclearization and inspections.

Then I'd let South Korea go to work with reconciliation gestures and unification rhetoric.

Then I'd dangle a US carrot in front of them for economic reform.

Kim's gonna die soon, North Korea is already showing signs of moving toward sensibility.

But their fear of teh US is not irrational, and their desire to build WMDs can only be considered sane.

Remember that the US moved nuclear weapons onto their pennensula to threaten them. If they feel the need to build deterrence it's because of the very real threats the US is responsible for.

Unless the US signs a non-agression treaty with them they would be idiotic to stop building nukes.

The rhetoric about "killing his own people" neglects the very large American hand in the situation. They are dying for more reasons than idiotic military spending.

Moves like denying them the heating oil that they negotiated with us helps kill their people.

They are absolutely right to want nuclear plants, they NEED them. We offered to build ones for them (to help keep them from using them to build bombs) and the deal broke down.

The US has been much much more hostile to NK than NK has to the US.

It feels good for Americans to think in easy terms like "good guy" and "bad guy" but it's idiotic.

Most of the region is upset with the ham-handed approach this US administration has taken.

Much progress was being made (in all areas except nukes) and this administration undid it.

If the US wants to denuclearize North Korea the US will have to allay their valid fears of the US.

The social progress is another story, and one that was progressing before this administration.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:24 pm
Ha! I was going to say who the hell elected the US as the teacher in the global "kindergarten", but Craven already said it.

It is that kind of foreign policy arrogance, McGentrix, that gets the US hated.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:26 pm
Not that I can talk, since my damn Prime Minister has elected us as teacher aides....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:59 pm
See, I was speaking of the UN. N. Korea wants unilateral talks with the US, I say let the UN handle it. We will just with hold OUR foriegn aid until the problem is resolved. Let N. Korea find another source of Carrots.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 05:44 pm
McG,

The "carrots" I speak of are not in the form of foreign aid. They are in terms of reducing our hostilities.

The UN has little to do with this. The UN shares an interest in non-proliferation but North Korea is correct to wish to negotiate with a nation with which it is at war.

Unilateral talks with the US are a no-brainer for Korea. We are at war with them.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:07 pm
Deja vu
"We are helping keep the people poor and dying to "punish" the dictator."

Sound like what was done in Iraq. The US has consistently rewarded dictators. That history is a long one.

The policy toward N. Korea is a foolish and boorish as most other policies of these arrogant, war mongering, closed minded, dispicable Neocons!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:43 am
There is little historial difference between the policy of "neocons" and "liberals" toward North Korea.

The difference is usually that "neocon" rhetoric is more beligerent ("Axis of Evil"). Other than things like that the fundamental policy towards NK is the same for both camps.
0 Replies