• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:14 am
@andreajolie,
It is important or else companies wouldn't bother with them. It helps them frame the overall view that the potential hiring company has of you. Put your best foot forward and be concise, factual and emphasize in a meaningful way why you would be an asset to that company with their product or service.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:44 am
@andreajolie,
A cover letter, if used appropriately - can be used to point out specifics in your experience that could set you apart from other candidates. Point out something directly related to the job you are applying for that you have done in past experience - especially something more unusual or that you excelled at. Also, voice your interest in job and how you would benefit the company. The more specific details, the better - but as stated above be as concise as possible. Too long winded of a letter may cause busy managers to not read it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:47 am
@andreajolie,
Summarize on one page your major accomplishments, and what you can offer the prospective employer.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
I always spend a lot of time writing a cover letter. The advantages are clear.

When I am applying for a job, I have three goals.

1. To distinguish myself from all the other people who are trying to get this job.
2. To show how my experience, skills and interests are the particular skills that they need for this job.
3. To show enthusiasm. I want them to know that I am a serious candidate, and that I have taken the time to do my homework about their needs and their company. When they see my cover letter they will know that I won't waste their time. Hiring managers want to feel they are special, that you have considered the position and want to work for them.. They hate feeling that you are just sending out hundreds of resumes at random and will take whatever comes.

The resume is a form. They all look more or less the same. The cover letter is a chance for me to present my narrative on why I am a great candidate in my way.

I agree that they should be short. They should very carefully make the points you want to make in a few words as possible.

And they should be personalized to the company. Do your homework, read the company website, read the job notice, figure out what they are selling and what type of person they need to solve their problems.

Then write a specific letter on why you are that person.

This is a very powerful way to communicate with potential employers.

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:58 am
@maxdancona,
Good point: always do research on the company to show you have information about their company.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:18 am
@andreajolie,
I will also add this tip: if you DO get an interview, make sure you follow up with a brief thank-you note to the hiring manager and the immediate boss if you interviewed with them. It is all part of the complete process.of presenting a candidate properly.
0 Replies

anathames

Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:54 am
@andreajolie,
I believe, cover letters are very important.
It usually should consist 3main key factors- your accomplishments/skills/experience.
You should focus on showing the reader that how you are the most suitable candidate for the job.
Your cover letter can be very beneficial if it's impressive and eye-catching.
0 Replies