Resetting Trouble Alert - Jeep Grand Cherokee

CDobyns

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 09:49 pm
Recently, the on-board maintenance module on my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee began to flash the alert - Rear Lamp Failure. I checked and lo and behold one of the rear license plate light bulbs had failed. I replaced the bulb and confirmed that it is now working, but the maintenance alert still continues to flash. I thought the alert would cancel itself after the bulb was replaced, but now I'm not sure how the maintenance module is supposed to be "reset". Any help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,963 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:14 pm
@CDobyns,
Pull the battery cable?

Just a guess. I know beans about fixing cars.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:46 pm
@CDobyns,
In MOST cases making the repairs suggested or at least checking the connections (loose lamps show up as 'failures') will clear the codes from the DIC the next time you run the vehicle.

In other instances you may have to disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 5 minutes and hook it back up. Killing the static power from the battery will erase the computer codes and reset everything. The drawback is you also have to reprogram your radio if you have preset stations.

if this does not reset it, you have another bulb out, or a wiring problem...
CDobyns

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:48 am
@Rockhead,
Okay, this was all good guidance - especially the pretty simple solution of just pulling the power to the whole vehicle by disconnecting the battery. A visual check of the "rear lamps" on the vehicle pretty clearly indicate that the license plate bulb was the only failure. So, now I've got to reset all my radio stations . . . oh no. This works. Thanks!
0 Replies