Any black ladies here? I have a question for you.

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 02:04 pm
Do you like the way African-American women are portrayed on TV? I hate a lot of the shows they have on some of the black TV networks-they are perpetrating negative black stereotypes about Black women and Black Americans in general.

Some of the programs they have on Centric, on BET and what used to be known as UPN were okay.

contrex

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 02:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
I am a black woman, and I don't like the way we are portrayed on most programs, but I also don't like you either.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 02:53 pm
I hate the way a lot of black women carry on and make themselves look on TV.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
those women do not represent 'me'

they represent themselves how ever they choose to.
Im not shunned, denied, changed or effected by their actions.
I dont behave that way, there for people do not treat me that way. Their actions mean nothing to me.

Do I like how they are shown? No. But, stereotypes come from SOME truth some where no matter how far fetched or thin it is. They originate from someone seeing a commonality in a certain type of person.. and on they go..
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
They stereotype Asian and Hispanic women on TV too. These people don't care-they are getting paid to do what they do.

Girlfriends is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
I hate Love That Girl.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:25 pm
TV is full of stereotypes from the stupid dad, the drunk irish, the gangster italian, the dumb blond...
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:49 pm
Some stereotypes I have seen on TV is the Hispanic woman as housekeeper/maid. J Lo and some other Hispanic actresses played that part a lot.

I like cute Asians, but it's offensive to see them portrayed as ditzy airheads. I have seen that in some shows.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:00 pm
Some other stereotypes I have seen about women of color:

black women being portrayed as loudmouthed and overbearing.

Hispanic women and Asian women being portrayed as not being able to speak English well.

Some black women being portrayed as using ebonics and not speaking English properly.

These are all offensive.
jcboy

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
For someone who keeps insisting they're christian you sure hate a lot of things. Are you sure you're not Fred Phelps?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
@jcboy,
I'm hating things not people.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

These are all offensive.

and they are all true.

There ARE black women who are over bearing, abusive, loud rude and obnoxious.
There are white women like that too.

The percentage of hispanic house cleaners in SOME areas are extremely high. The chances of them NOT speaking english as their first language? Yeah that is high too. In fact, 3 blocks from here, if YOU dont speak spanish you are in the wrong.

There ARE asian women who speak 'pigeon'.. some by choice, some out of necessity.

Again.. the are all true.. and all common.. so why hate them? Really?

Part of TV's job is to suspend belief to a certain extent and make light of common issues to induce a laugh, thought or emotion.. Loud rude people bother every one, no matter if they are black, white, asian or babies for that matter. But, it can directly affect a joke or a setting if the skin color of someone does not fall into the on going joke.. Thats why people are picked for what they are. Thats tv.

Is that ok?
eh . That is a long debate right there..

But again.. stereo types come from a truth somewhere..
Gargamel

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
I like cute Asians, but it's offensive to see them portrayed as ditzy airheads.

I share your disgust. After all, everyone knows how adept all Asians are at math and statistics.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:28 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolf:

Quote:
But again.. stereo types come from a truth somewhere..

I've often heard that expressed. I think for a long time I accepted that idea prima facie. I mean, its a no-brainer, right? Of course the reason that stereotypes take hold and are perpetuated is because they have a grain of truth in them.

But I don't necessarily believe that today. I think its entirely possible that the reason some of the most demeaning and ugliest stereotypes get traction is because it is an aspect that someone wanted to believe is shared by the whole people, or had reason to advance the story that it's common to all of "that kind" of people. Whether or not blacks, asians, whites, jews, arabs, native americans, blondes, gays, or whatever group at any time displayed the attributes stereotyped to them, I believe that the reason those things live on is not necessarily because of any degree of truth. I think the stories live on largely because some people needs or wants them to.

As for me, I believe in the "truth" I find after I actually know someone.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:59 pm
They use stereotypes as a means to make fun of people.
0 Replies