What do you hate about comic books?

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:38 am
I hate the fact that worldly, secular comics feature:
1. demonic characters
2. characters that use witchcraft
3. blasphemous characters
4. objectified female characters
5. fanservice

That is what I hate about them and from a Christian standpoint this is bad.

What about you?

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:50 am
@JGoldman10,
i think you overly obsess, in the end and for the most part it's still the fight of good over evil, it's like all the controversy about harry potter, if she'd written the books from Voldemart's perspective and evil had triumphed over good, i could understand

if you want to believe in god and live a good life fine, but i think you narrow your view a bit

my advice, a little less old testament, a little more Fantastic Four (although after the death of the Human Torch, i think they're going to be called Future Force)
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 07:18 am
@djjd62,
I'm not a Marvel fan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:08 am
I hate the fact that EC comics of the 50s did not survive. I hate the fact that the old 64 page comics for a dime no longer exist. I hate that Carl Barks is no longer authoring Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stories. I hate the fact that DC destroyed Captain Marvel.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:14 am
@edgarblythe,
I am Born-Again Christian. I have heard of EC-didn't they make a lot of underground comics? I am glad they went out of business.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:23 am
@JGoldman10,
EC did Mad, the forerunner of Mad Magazine. THey published science fantasy stories, taken from the pages of the great s/f writers. They did THe Vault of Horror, which is no worse than the Halloween stuff people do each year. They had a comic of Civil War stories. One of biplanes in the days of the Red Baron - They used their intellect when constructing stories and the artists were among the best.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:24 am
@edgarblythe,
That stuff you describe goes against my beliefs as a Christian.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:26 am
@edgarblythe,
in the 80's they reprinted a lot of the EC stuff in giant sized comic form, pretty cool stuff, especially loved the Sci-Fi stuff
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:28 am
@djjd62,
EC Weird Science Fantasy comic was my first introduction to the story Sound of Thunder.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
My dad knew about EC Comics.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Science fiction, civil war and fantasy comics go against your beliefs?

Second, question why should any of us care one way or another about your hang ups?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:52 am
@BillRM,
If any of the following are involved:

1. demonic characters
2. characters that use witchcraft
3. blasphemous characters
4. objectified female characters
5. fanservice

then yes, those types of comics go against my beliefs as a Christian.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:52 am
@BillRM,
The Word of God says if You love the Lord to HATE EVIL.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:53 am
@BillRM,
Are you a SNOB?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:56 am
@BillRM,
The topic is about what people find offensive about comics.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:13 am
@JGoldman10,
I a far far worst from your viewpoint then a snob.

I am an atheist that view you as not a bit saner then people who read comics containing witchcraft and in some manner given it any credit as relating to the real universe.

A three in one god head is a far crazier concept then you will find in most comics.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:14 am
@BillRM,
I don't argue with atheists. You people HEAR of GOD but DON'T KNOW HIM.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes why do you not forward some of his e-mail to you that informed you that comic books are bad and evil in his eyes?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:20 am
This subject could lead to a very wide-ranging discussion if it was not linked to religion. Using a religious viewpoint to make judgements about comic books drastically limits discussion.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
The topic is about what people find offensive about comics
i

Sorry it is also about people who claimed that they have a religious problem with comics.

So do not complain when you started a thread with a statement that your religion is the source of your problems with an art form that others tell you that is a nonsense reason on it face.

When you bring your faith into the public square do not be surprise when it is question in the same public square.