Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:01 pm
Hi my name is Teresa, I want to talk with others who are 99rs and have exhausted their unemployment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,506 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:52 pm
@kendallscrnp8hrj,
What are you talking about, the 99rs? You only want to hear from 99ers? (whoever they are)?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What are you talking about, the 99rs? You only want to hear from 99ers? (whoever they are)?

99'ers are people who have completely ran out of unemployment insurance, Osso. It means '99 weeks.'

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks, sorry for the d'oh, Theresa.

I've never had unemployment myself - either worked for the university where there was no such thing, or as an independent contractor, or as a business owner where the two of us owners were it, scraping along.

Well, then, I sympathize. I figure this travail will push some to start their own businesses, but know personally from my parents that that can lead to deeper problems, while some new business will work.

So, no advice, I'll just listen.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:14 pm
http://www.unionofunemployed.com/blog/recent-news/99ers-unite-as-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with/

Quote:
About Us

Ur Union of Unemployed, nicknamed UCubed, is a community service project of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM). With over 31 million Americans idled to some degree by this Grave Recession – and no relief in sight — the IAM and its partners saw a need to unify the unemployed in a unique and useful way.

UCubed does exactly that. It brings people together – the unemployed and underemployed alike – to build a community of Jobs Activists who will create local networks, support one another and help get America back to work.

Jobs Activists, organized by their zip codes, advocate for sound public policy, emailing public officials to alert them about policies that directly impact the jobless. And to help ease the burden of being unemployed, they receive steep discounts and rebate dollars when shopping the Machinists Mall.

Job Activists come from all walks of life, all corners of this country and all sectors of our economy. This Grave Recession has harmed us all – salary and hourly, manufacturing and construction, finance and service, union and non-union, college educated and high school dropouts, inner city and suburban residents. And only by working together can we end this economic turmoil.

The IAM is among the nation’s largest industrial trade unions, representing nearly 700,000 active and retired members under more than 5,000 contracts in aerospace, transportation, shipbuilding and defense-related industries. It has been in the forefront of the battle for American jobs.

http://helpthe99ers.com/

Quote:
Let’s Help!
Posted on December 26, 2010 by Nicole Sandler

There’s a growing group of people in this country who seem to have been forgotten by our government. Collectively known as “the 99ers,” these are the people who’ve exhausted all of their unemployment benefits, and have nowhere else to turn.

At this site, I hope that those most in need can connect with those who can help.

Obviously, this is a work in progress. I’ve set up the Help Board, organized by state. People in need of help can post their situations there, and those who are fortunate enough to be in a position to help can contact them.

Help can come in many different forms. For some, it can be an “adopt a family” program. For others, perhaps jobs can be matched with people looking. Of course, monetary donations for those struggling to pay the rent, stay warm or put food on the table may be the best way to help in the short term.

Please click on The Help Board link above, and go to your state.

If you’re a 99er, post your story. Remember to include an email address so someone with the means to help can contact you! If you are in a position to help, please do so.

I’ve also added a Jobs forum, where seekers, employers and entrepreneurs with ideas can connect.
0 Replies