like a snapshot someone santches away from your hand?

Nancy88

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:03 am
I always want to take the El. The train raced down above the avenue, and you could see right into apartment windows, especially if it was dark and lights were on. Just a quick look, like a snapshot someone santches away from your hand.

I understand the full meaning of this passage. What baffles me was the phrase "from your hand". Snatch a snapshot from your hand? Who can explain the phrase for me, especially the word ‘from’ ?

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 535 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:10 am
@Nancy88,
The train is moving very fast, so it's as if someone hands you a snapshot to look at and then snatches it away again almost before it has registered.
0 Replies

PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:08 am
When you get a snapshot (picture from a camera) you want time to really look at it.

If it gets snatched from your hands, you can't remember what you saw.

This is saying is that the train was speeding by so fast that he didn't have time to really look at it. It was like having a snapshot grabbed from your hands.

(You can study simile and metaphors. Your reading sounds like it uses a lot of these. )
0 Replies