Does anyone here have any friendly advice about going back to school?

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:22 pm
I already have a degree in Animation/Film-I want to go back to school to get a degree in Illustration/Cartooning so I can get my comics going. I'm going to be at least a decade older than most of my new colleagues- does anyone here have any friendly advice about what to do about going back to school- adjusting and fitting in? Please help me out.

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:14 pm
No one here is a college grad? Or current student?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 05:54 am
I haven't been in school in a little over a decade. Does anyone here have any friendly advice about going back and fitting in?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 09:06 am
@JGoldman10,
You go to class and do your assignments. What else do you need to know?

College hasn't changed in the past decade. So, you might be older than some of the students, what's the big deal about that? You are going back to school to get a degree, and your age is not a factor in accomplishing that goal.

Particularly if you attend in the evening, you are likely to find other older students who might be holding jobs during the day.
chai2

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 09:28 am
Goldman, I can give my perspective.

I got a degree in 1982, graduated when I was 21, 22 or something.

I went back to pursue a different degree in something like 1994, 12 years later.

It was an entirely different, and I'd say, much more rewarding experience the 2nd time around.

I brought with me the invaluable life experience I had, and knowledge I'd gained.
Although of course I was friendly with fellow students, most of which where about a decade younger, I didn't feel like they had to be part of my social circle.
I had a much deeper sense of priorities in my life, so was frankly oblivious to the web of relationships among other students, that didn't pertain to my course work. While these students were developing their support systems for the future, I felt (looking back) like I was at an advantage. I'd already built my strong support system through the intervening years; my work and the relationships there, personal friends, a then new marriage, etc. etc.

Because of all this, and more, the entire experience was much more rewarding. I was able to concentrate better on my studies, I did better academically, and was rewarded personally at a much deeper level. Because of circumstances too long to go into here, I ended up not completing my 2nd degree, but I was never disappointed. It was the process that was my reward.

I, in a word, had become a scholar. I was not merely a student.

Good luck to you.
chai2

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 09:40 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

You go to class and do your assignments. What else do you need to know?

College hasn't changed in the past decade. So, you might be older than some of the students, what's the big deal about that? You are going back to school to get a degree, and your age is not a factor in accomplishing that goal.

Particularly if you attend in the evening, you are likely to find other older students who might be holding jobs during the day.

firefly, I have to disagree with you here.

I think anyone going back from one decade to the next will find big differences.
Maybe not "on paper", but just like anything else, the environment changes.

Googling "changes in technology in last 10 years"

Just as Ozzie Osborne asks in the commercial "What's a Bieber?" 10 years ago we would been asking "What's a Facebook? What's a Linkedin? What's a Twitter, blog ?"

http://www.legalsecretaryjournal.com/?q=changes_in_technology_in_the_past_decade

http://online.wsj.com/ad/article/acurainnovations-080319.html
firefly

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:24 am
@chai2,
Quote:
firefly, I have to disagree with you here.

I think anyone going back from one decade to the next will find big differences.
Maybe not "on paper", but just like anything else, the environment changes.

Agreed, chai, but we also have to assume that Goldman hasn't been in a vacuum for the past 10 years, he's aware of cultural changes that have occurred, or he should be. So the course work and assignments, or the general atmosphere on campus, should not be suddenly mysterious or foreign because he's been out of school for a decade.

And he's planning to go back to focus on a specific career-oriented degree, so that should be his primary focus rather than the social aspects of being in college, or worrying about "fitting in". There really isn't anything that odd about older students attending classes. Because Goldman has a clear purpose in wanting to get another degree, his main concerns should involve rather mundane issues like financing his coursework, working out a schedule, making sure the courses meet his needs, etc. It's not just another degree that he needs, he actually needs to learn this material in order to use it in his next career move, and that should make all other considerations, and distractions, fade in importance. That's also the advantage of going back to college when one is more adult--one can be much more focused on why they are there.
djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:28 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Agreed, chai, but we also have to assume that Goldman hasn't been in a vacuum for the past 10 years, he's aware of cultural changes that have occurred, or he should be.

he's said on a few threads that he leads a very secluded existence, he seems to display a certain amount of social awkwardness
firefly

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:07 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
he's said on a few threads that he leads a very secluded existence, he seems to display a certain amount of social awkwardness

But just attending classes and completing assignments doesn't really involve much social interaction, except with professors since I would imagine feedback about his artwork would be important to Goldman. And the interactions would be similar to those in a work situation, somewhat formal rather than casual-social. So, I'm not sure that social awkwardness should be any sort of real limitation for him in that sort of situation. But, if his social awkwardness is a significant problem for him, and limits his functioning, perhaps he should consider seeing a therapist to get some help for that.

And I doubt that Goldman has been so secluded that he doesn't know what's been going on in the world for the past 10 years. He obviously uses the internet.
MJA

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:14 am
So you want to be a comic?
Tell us a good joke!

=
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:08 pm
@firefly,
I'm not a current student-I haven't been in school in a little over a decade. I'm planning or going back or at least getting further art training to pursue my comics career. I thought I wanted to go into animation but I decided I would rather make comic books.

I live a secluded existence, meaning I don't have too many friends in real life and I don't get out much except to go to work and go to the library, and to take care of other business.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:10 pm
@MJA,
Work as a comic book artist/writer and creator. Get my own comic books published and distributed. NOT a stand-up comic.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:42 pm
@chai2,
I HATE Facebook, Myspace and Twitter.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:58 pm
@djjd62,
So I'm not very social-you going to hold that against me?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 07:05 pm
One thing is good about going back to school. I don't have to concern myself with creating a new portfolio and trying to do things the old-fashioned way. I want to go back to my old school and get a second degree, so I have to start the application process all over again.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 07:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
no, i was simply explaining to firefly things you'd already pointed out in other threads
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 07:17 pm
@djjd62,
I'm NOT interested in doing everything other people are doing.
djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 07:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
didn't say you were
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
adults returning to college and fitting in
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 08:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
What's the big deal with ASKING PEOPLE rather than looking this stuff up online?
0 Replies