2/3 Of Wisconsin 8'th Graders Don't Read proficiently

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:29 am
@gungasnake,
Let's try this again Gungasnake.

Your sensational headline says that "2/3 of Wisconsin 8'th Graders Don't Read proficiently". You then posted an article that said Wisconsin NAEP results had 33% of 8th graders at the Proficient or above range.

The CNS then linked to the NAEP result. I looked up the report and posted the EXACT same numbers for the other states.

That's how you resolve these things, you compare one state to another state with numbers that both sides consider valid. (And I am assuming from your sensational headline that you consider the numbers valid).

Why don't you do the same thing. The five states that don't have collective bargaining are Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia.

Take the statistics on which you based your sensationalist headline and please post the results from these five states. If you want, you can ditch the CNS numbers. I wonder if you can find ANY measure of educational success in which Georgia or South Carolina does better than Wisconsin. (The key is that to be fair, you need to post the statistic from Wisconsin alongside the statistic of the other states so we can make a fair comparison)

I think you will reach the same conclusion I did. The CNS claim is bogus.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:44 am

Deep Democrat Denial
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 11:33 am
@gungasnake,
Well we fit right in. I would guess that 2/3rds of the people on a2k have a problem with reading proficently.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Different view, same story...

https://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/tag/reading-proficiency/

Quote:

The ability to read proficiently is a fundamental skill that affects not just how well students do in school, but also their future wellbeing as adults.

Students who read proficiently are more likely to perform well in other subjects, such as math and science, whereas those who struggle with reading are much less likely to be academically engaged and therefore do poorly in school. Reading achievement also predicts the likelihood of graduating from high school and attending college. Adults with poor literacy skills find it difficult to function in society because many basic decision-making skills require reading proficiency. Strong reading skills also protect against unemployment in early adulthood. People who are not able to fill out an application because of limited reading or writing skills are likely to have difficulty finding a job or accessing social services. Research shows that performance on adult literacy tests helps explain differences in wages. Adults with limited reading abilities also are likely to have children with limited reading abilities. [Source]

The term “reading proficiency” refers to performance on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) Reading Assessments. The scores for reading proficiency range from 0 to 500 (with a standard deviation of 100) and are divided into 3 achievement levels: Basic, Proficient, and Advanced.

Wisconsin’s public school teachers are among the thousands demonstrating in Wisconsin’s state capital against Governor Scott Walker’s plan to rein in public employee unions’ runaway health costs and other benefits. The teachers not only cancelled classes, they corraled their students to join the demonstrations.

But a report by the NAEP reveals that although Wisconsin’s spending on public schools had more than doubled in the past 10 years, that has not resulted in even one iota of improvement in the students’ reading skills. Worse still, some two-thirds of the state’s 8th graders read below “proficiency” level!

Only in America’s public sector are employees’ pay detached from their performance. If America’s public schools were a privately-owned business, it would have gone bankrupt years ago.

The arguments I'm seeing on left of center forums like this one seem to be amount to claims that the same broken system is not working much worse anywhere else in the land (than in Wisconsin), and that therefore there is no problem worth bothering with. Again, the voters in Wisconsin at least didn't see it that way.
contrex

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The arguments I'm seeing on left of center forums like this one

It can't be so "left of center" if it gives web space to pricks like you.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:01 pm
@contrex,
Have you considered showing your "tags" screen to one of the psych profs where you go to school?

Quote:

Homework, Lazy Student, Do My Homework, Troll, Do My Homework For Me, I Am Lazy, Wanker, Idiot, Gungadick, Scare, Rant By Loony, Argos Catalogue Sex And Islam, English, Burn It, Foolish, h2oman Is One, Maths Is Proper Abbreviation, Smell My Vagina, Gun Crime, Their, Bleach My Anus, Whe Comlat Is Not English, Correctly Imprisoned, Some Jtt Idiocy, Just Makes Gunga Look Stupid, There Is A God, Languages, Another Dumb Bg Post, Not Politics, I Am A Loony, Racist Idiot, Idiotic Hate Post, Americas Shame, Do Not Answer, The Myth And Reality, British Nhs, Jackwad, Pamela Racist, Gun Wank, Pointless Post, Weather Is Not Climate, Hooray, Original Writing, Please Euthanasia, That Loony Again, Saving, Russells Paradox Disposed Of, Just Tell Him, Gun Fun Usa, Idiotic Rubbish, Gwdenier, Pulled For Suspended License, Needs More Tuition, Because You Are A Dildo, The Tranny, Politics, A Riddle, Palin, Somebody Stop This Nutcase, American Spectator Propaganda, Anal Bleaching, Creation Science Crap, Gungasperger, Actually, Nonsensical, Another Tattoo, Prostitution, Bad Title, Crack The Cryptic, He Really Is A Nut, Stupid Spam, Cant Spell Weimar, Get Over Yourself, Waaaaa Bodyform, More Gunga Nonsense, Crackpot, Gonna Flunk Chem, Gungadrivel, Or Bash The Bishop, Asses, Why The Apostrophe Jayteetee, My Homework, Suckboy, Sympathy Troll Beware, Gungatard, Under 13, Gungacrap, Gooduseoftags, Gunga Idiot Treason, Do My Homework I Am Lazy, Alegedly, able2know, Mean Spirited Carping, Ruined, Gungatrash, Yes It Is, Tosser, Rightwing Propaganda, Gun Nut Propaganda, Claims To Be Aged 10

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:22 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Again, the voters in Wisconsin at least didn't see it that way.

This is a funny argument considering that these are voters in Wisconsin (some 70,000 of them).

http://realitybasedworlddotorg.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/wisconsin_11.jpg?w=440&h=293
Ceili

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:25 pm
@gungasnake,
I'd say he's a pretty creative writer....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Sounds like 70K union goons and rentamobsters simply aren't enough to win elections in Wisconsin...
0 Replies