parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:04 am
@revelette,
Based on the vote in Wisconsin, the Senate declared an emergency so they could vote on it in 2 hours time.

So.. an emergency is anything they decide it is until a court rules otherwise.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:20 am
http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/30549/madison.jpg

More than 100,000 people marched and protested in WI on Saturday afternoon. This eclipses any 'tea party' event by a good deal.

Those who think that the backlash against Walker's activity is just going to die down quietly are totally kidding themselves. Walker and the Senate Republicans are going to be damn lucky to even have jobs later this year.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm not sure about the odds of Walker and the senate republicans losing their jobs, and question this conclusion before seeing the results.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not sure about the odds of Walker and the senate republicans losing their jobs, and question this conclusion before seeing the results.

Polling on this issue from PPP is coming out tonight, and we'll have more data on it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:27 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Fun fact: They had to lower that building by 2 or 3 feet so that it wouldn't be higher than the U.S. Capitol building.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:29 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Fun fact: They had to lower that building by 2 or 3 feet so that it wouldn't be higher than the U.S. Capitol building.

I believe the TX capitol building is indeed taller than the US one Smile

... yup, it's 20 ft. taller

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
And that was just in Madison.

Other towns had their own small protests.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
They probably did that on purpose Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:35 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

They probably did that on purpose Smile

Yah, I'm quite sure they did.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:41 pm
WI Dems have collected 45% of all signatures needed to start a recall election of all 8 GOP senators in question.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/wis-dems-claim-45-percent-of-needed-signatures-for-recalls.php?ref=fpblg

Walker's not due up until November, but I guarantee that they'll get enough for him too.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Get ready for that charge of fraud on those signatures.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
A lot will be rejected, which is why it is necessary to know if the 45% is of the number of signatures needed to qualify or is it 45% of the likely number needed to get enough good signatures? I gather that we are not told so it is probably the former. They also are still not telling us how each campaign is going, which is reason to suspect that the truth is not a rosy as claimed, as if things we really going well they would not be shy about telling us.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Except the law lays out how they can do that and requires they provide evidence when making any such claim. So until they can show that people were not voters, signed twice, or the person who's signature is there didn't sign they won't have any legal case.

Seems to be accurate compared to Wisconsin documents
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Laws_governing_recall_in_Wisconsin

0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Some of the campaigns have over 50% of the voter signatures needed..

Quote:
In three districts, including that of Republican Senator Robert Cowles of Allouez, Democratic officials say they're well above 50 percent.

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=14250238

Quote:
A lot will be rejected

On what do you base that statement?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
They have half the signatures they need in about a week of work. That's not 'going well?'

You know nothing about the validity or lack thereof, and have no idea how many will be rejected.

You're just going to bullshit and bluster all the way up until the end, aren'tcha?

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:52 pm
Here is a link to the filings for recalls in Wisconsin.

http://gab.wi.gov/elections-voting/recall

It seems there are 2 or more filings for several Democratic Senators. That will lead to confusion in those signing petitions. You can only sign once per recall effort. So they can sign twice, once on each petition but who will remember which petition they signed?

I predict Miller, Hansen and Wirch won't face recall elections because of the multiple petitions filed.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:00 pm
What's the timetable for the new election? Anyone know?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:02 pm
@Irishk,
I think it has to be at least one year after they take office.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
They have half the signatures they need in about a week of work.
Where did you learn to count....the efforts started feb25 - March 4 and today is the 14th.

Quote:
You know nothing about the validity or lack thereof, and have no idea how many will be rejected
Are you under the impression that petitions are a new thing in america??
Quote:
The backers of the recall submitted 3,844 signatures to the elections department - about 300 more than were required - but a random sample of the signatures used to test their validity showed that not enough were legitimate, according to John Arntz, the city's elections director.

The department analysis determined that the recall effort collected 2,855 credible signatures, meaning more than a quarter of the signatures collected were invalid.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-09-27/bay-area/17262833_1_signatures-recall-mcgoldrick

I have seen else where that the standard guidance is that 35-40% over the required number should be the goal when circulating a petition...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:06 pm
Here are the results of the PPP poll I alluded to earlier -

Quote:
Here are the topline results for the Daily Kos / Public Policy Polling surveys of all eight Republican-held state Senate districts targeted for recall. The polls were conducted March 11th, 12th and 13th. Among other questions, each of the eight surveys tested a "generic Democrat" against the named Republican incumbent.

Democrats need to win three of these eight districts in order to regain a majority in the Wisconsin state Senate. As it happens, Democrats currently lead in three districts:

* Senator Dan Kapanke trails a generic Democrat 55-41
* Senator Randy Hopper trails 49-44
* Senator Luther Olsen trails 49-47

In two other districts, incumbent Republicans are under 50%, and should face competitive elections:

* Senator Rob Cowles leads 45-43
* Senator Sheila Harsdorf leads 48-44

The Republican incumbent is favored in another district, but still isn't safe:

* Senator Alberta Darling leads 52-44

Republicans are strongly favored in two deep red districts:

* Senator Mary Lazich leads 56-34
* Senator Glenn Grothman leads 60-32

Full poll will be released tomorrow morning, with crosstabs, I'll link to it then.

Based on these early results, it's clear that some of the Senators are in a far stronger position than others. It's pretty bad when 'generic Dem' leads you in the district you got elected in, but the ones who are in the lead - but polling under 50% - are also in big trouble.

The Dems will make a single campaign of this and the money is simply going to pour into the state to get these clowns tossed out. I am confident that they will have some success, and what more, that this effort will help Obama win in WI in 2012.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies