cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:33 pm
@georgeob1,
This pretty much explains what happened.

Quote:
With the ground shifting by the hour, House Democratic leaders dropped a plan to approve the Senate health bill without taking a direct vote on it. That proposed maneuver had outraged Republicans and caused consternation among some Democrats.

Seems like a maneuver to cut off debate.
parados

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
A violation of the law is a violation of the law.

What is the damage if someone speeds and no one gets hurt?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Except they did NOT use that maneuver..
georgeob1

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Probably not good enough for Cyclo. His standard of required proof for facts and assertions that are contrary to his fixed beliefs are very high indeed.

However, these burdens apply only to those who disagree with him. For hinself he gets by with unfulfilled threats to provide proof and tiresome bluster about his unfailing fidelity to facts.

Moreover no detail is too small to enable him to proclaim that an obvious argument opposing his is fatally and thoroughly flawed, while he floats above all such details with his own.
parados

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:05 pm
@georgeob1,
So.. you think a maneuver that wasn't used is the same thing as one that was used?

Talk about not addressing the central issue there george. This is supposed to be about maneuvers that were used to pass the bill.
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

So.. you think a maneuver that wasn't used is the same thing as one that was used?

Talk about not addressing the central issue there george. This is supposed to be about maneuvers that were used to pass the bill.

Yeah. No doubt. It's absurd to compare

Group A who uses parliamentary actions not allowed by their by-laws

versus

Group B who only talked about actions that are allowed by their by-laws.

More funny still is Group A criticizing Group B for not allowing quorum, but when Group A moved to adjourn hundreds of times to halt progress of Group B, it's all cool.

I take it back. I love this comparison. It brings to light exactly the poor form the GOP has.

A
R
T
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:29 pm
@parados,
From CNN.
Quote:
Pelosi's solution: Have the House pass the Senate bill, but then immediately follow up with another vote in both chambers of Congress on a package of changes designed in part to make the overall legislation more acceptable to House Democrats.

Now, however, Pelosi may also try to help unhappy House Democrats by allowing them to avoid a direct up or down vote on the Senate bill. The speaker may call for a vote on a rule that would simply "deem" the Senate bill to be passed. The House would then proceed to a separate vote on the more popular changes to the Senate bill.

House GOP leaders will try to block the procedure, a House GOP aide told CNN Tuesday morning. They will try to force a vote on a resolution requiring the Senate health care bill to be brought to an actual up or down vote, the aide said.

Senate Minority Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, called the maneuver Pelosi's "scheme and deem" plan Tuesday morning. He said the maneuver was "jaw-dropping in its audacity."

And this.
Quote:
House may try to pass Senate health-care bill without voting on it

By Lori Montgomery and Paul Kane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

After laying the groundwork for a decisive vote this week on the Senate's health-care bill, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested Monday that she might attempt to pass the measure without having members vote on it.
parados

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From FOX news no less..

Quote:
House Opts Against 'Deeming' Health Care Bill Passed

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/20/house-opts-deeming-health-care-passed/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:54 pm
Quote:
After Republicans cut off debate a little more than three hours after it started, Democrats jumped up to protest. Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) brought a megaphone out from under his desk and through it yelled, "Mr. Speaker, I demand to be recognized."

He was ignored.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/117735163.html

What the hell are the Dems thinking?? acting as disruptive children is not going to show that they are the adults who are trying to protect democracy against GOP thuggery, which is the spiel......
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:57 pm
Maybe I have this wrong! Do the police understand why their union rights are not being suppressed as of {YET} ??? Are they so stupid that they can not see that human rights are being taken away from the people to empower a minority?

I guess that I should not expect that they would be any different than the rest of the dumb masses! Do you the reader realize that those who seek profits only, "can only strategically target one group at a time and keep us all divided by propaganda and persuasion that they preach?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07UGL5fVd8
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:05 pm
Quote of the Day:

Quote:
Just before a roll call began, Republican Rep. Dan Knodl said, "There's no question that the 5.5 million people of Wisconsin are in favor of seeing this bill go through."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:07 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Probably not good enough for Cyclo. His standard of required proof for facts and assertions that are contrary to his fixed beliefs are very high indeed.

Well, the vote didn't happen. Similarly, Gov. Walker talked about running false flag operations, planting rabble-rousers in the crowds of protesters a few weeks ago; but he decided not to do it. Are we now blaming people for things they talk about doing, but don't do?

Quote:
However, these burdens apply only to those who disagree with him. For hinself he gets by with unfulfilled threats to provide proof and tiresome bluster about his unfailing fidelity to facts.

Moreover no detail is too small to enable him to proclaim that an obvious argument opposing his is fatally and thoroughly flawed, while he floats above all such details with his own.

You're cute when you get pissy, George. But I warn ya: I'm never going to sit back and watch you mis-represent reality without saying so. You are so casual with the facts of a situation as to merit a response from those who actually DO research things before posting them.

But, as you said, you're not trying to convince anyone of anything. I guess when you set the bar low, any behavior is appropriate.

I would say that serious factual errors and an inability to name ANY specifics about what you are talking about are indeed indications that an argument could be fatally flawed, George. If you don't think that's the case, well. Let's say that I hope you aren't judging any debate tournaments anytime soon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:11 pm
@wandeljw,
It is amazing is it not? GOD must have given him this empirical knowledge in a dream!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:14 pm
Firefighters and Police in WI are striking back against banks that funded Walker's Governor campaign today by marching to their branches and demanding a full withdrawal of their funds. They managed to pull out about 120k before the banks closed their doors to prevent a total run.

But this is just the beginning, and these groups (along with the teacher's unions) say that they have millions more in deposits with these banks. That money is going to be systematically removed from the balance sheets of those organizations in the next few weeks, with the hopes of collapsing the banks themselves.

I'm sure we'll hear a lot of grumbling from Conservatives on how terrible this is, but hey - there's nothing illegal about it, right?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
All is fair in love and war.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Public radio reported farmers will ring the capitol with tractors this weekend in protest.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:41 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Public radio reported farmers will ring the capitol with tractors this weekend in protest.

Things like that are going to make it much, much harder for the GOP to just paint this as a bunch of angry hippies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Firefighters and Police in WI are striking back against banks that funded Walker's Governor campaign today by marching to their branches and demanding a full withdrawal of their funds. They managed to pull out about 120k before the banks closed their doors to prevent a total run.

But this is just the beginning, and these groups (along with the teacher's unions) say that they have millions more in deposits with these banks. That money is going to be systematically removed from the balance sheets of those organizations in the next few weeks, with the hopes of collapsing the banks themselves.

I'm sure we'll hear a lot of grumbling from Conservatives on how terrible this is, but hey - there's nothing illegal about it, right?

Cycloptichorn

It seems like an unwise and excessively vindictive reaction to me, but you are right, there is nothing illegal about it - such actions are entirely within their rights. However, I don't believe this will have the long-term effect I assume they have in mind. The unions will still need the services of some banks to receive the dues they require the state to skim off the employee's pay each payday, and they do occasionally borrow money against future revenues to finance campaigns. There will be winners and losers here to be sure, but the union can't avoid banks and hold its reserves in cash forever.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:04 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It seems like an unwise and excessively vindictive reaction to me, but you are right, there is nothing illegal about it - such actions are entirely within their rights. However, I don't believe this will have the long-term effect I assume they have in mind. The unions will still need the services of some banks to receive the dues they require the state to skim off the employee's pay each payday, and they do occasionally borrow money against future revenues to finance campaigns. There will be winners and losers here to be sure, but the union can't avoid banks and hold its reserves in cash forever.

I don't think it will have much long-term effect, personally, either. But, there are plenty of local banks who support the unions, and who didn't support Walker in his election and don't support his position now. The union members will simply vote with their dollars to not do business with institutions that are looking to **** 'em.

It will be fun to watch, and it sends a great message: support an asshole and you'll pay the price.

Cycloptichorn
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:04 pm
@georgeob1,
What do you think about credit unions?
0 Replies