What do u think of Bush proposing major immigration reform?

au1929

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:29 pm
CI
You lost me. Can't quite correlate anything I might have said with your last response.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
au, Sorry, I was actually responding to nimh's post, "Thats all true. In a twisted kinda way, though, migration flows compensate. There's a lot of developing countries where money transfered back by emigrants now constitutes a major source of national income. So its kinda like - the money that trade conditions have flow from developing countries to industrialised countries - they personally went to get it back & send it back home again." In a sense, those same countries that grow their economy will eventually spend on goods and services produced in the US. I think it's a long-term deal that will eventually benefit both countries.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
[
Quote:
"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," said Sebastiao da Silva in the court order released on Tuesday.

I find it Ironic that a judge from a country that shielded Mengele and other Nazi bigwigs has the audacity to compare fingerprinting with the worst horrors committed by the Nazi's.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:32 pm
au, Childish acts by heads of government is not limited to the US.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:44 pm
au1929 wrote:
[
Quote:
"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," said Sebastiao da Silva in the court order released on Tuesday.

I find it Ironic that a judge from a country that shielded Mengele and other Nazi bigwigs has the audacity to compare fingerprinting with the worst horrors committed by the Nazi's.

It's not ironic, it's idiotic. Even more so when you note that Brazilians don't generally care nearly as much as Americans do about privacy.

But it was a perfect example of what I was talking about with Sofia, so thanks nimh for posting it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:18 pm
Hmmm...frying people in ovens=fingerprinting visitors... Yeah. Exactly the same.

What a fruit.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:36 am
Since the "war on terrism" started, and the security alert levels and such were introduced, is there anyone feels any safer? Less safe?

Anyone feel they are in an Orwellian nightmare, from which there is no escape?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:46 am
Quote:
Anyone feel they are in an Orwellian nightmare, from which there is no escape?

Now why would anyone think that? Shocked Perhaps...beacause its <censored, subject detained and summarily executed as an enemy of the Patriotic Free American Republic of Gilead. ISPs of corrspondents noted. Action Teams dispatched. God bless President for Life the Messiah George Bush.>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:19 am
On the plus side, the extremism of this administration is being met with a growing awareness that it is extreme and ought to be countered vigorously. I haven't seen college kids this politically active since the 60s, and that's a positive effect. Even the New York Times has a two page piece on Chomsky's latest book today! And it's not a covert little knife-in-back job like the last bit several months past.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/04/books/review/04POWERT.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:30 am
Here's one of the most important paragraphs from your link, blatham. "Chomsky finds the Bush administration new in only two ways: the crassness of its motives is far more transparent, and it is now playing for far higher stakes. ''Over the years, tactics have been refined and modified,'' Chomsky writes, ''progressively ratcheting up the means of violence and driving our endangered species closer to the edge of catastrophe.'' Unless American statesmen stop ranking hegemony above survival, he says, our 100,000-year-old experiment in human life may well be doomed."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:40 pm
I do believe that Chomsky and "extremism" go together quite handily.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:46 pm
Chomsky, the God of the left. #@*$% him.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
Chomsky, the God of the left. #@*$% him.

Chomsky, easy to curse at, whose arguments are less easy to refute.

He certainly fills his lecture halls. He is widely read, and widely respected. No wonder he's a hate-figure to some. He represents freedom and justice for all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:59 pm
McTag wrote:
He represents freedom and justice for all.

Which seems to be extremistic and totally left-wing for some Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
As does the neocons to the left-wing. I wonder how many of us are really moderates?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
walter

McG and au aren't going to perceive how unique their response is to Chomsky, or to anyone who makes similar arguments. I suspect they think either
1) all countries have some citizens who speak badly about their own country X, and loyal citizens who refer to them as 'anti-Xian' (false, America is remarkabley unique in this, outside of Israel)
2) if America is unique in this, it is because America is uniquely filled with gooditude
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:05 pm
That's what I suspect as well, blatham :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
Yes OK, but please let me say, just because I am anti-Bush and anti-neocon, I am certainly not anti-American.

I think Bush and his ilk are anti-American.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:36 pm
McTag, I really think Bush and his ilk are anti-world.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:02 pm
Chomsky is to the left what the neocons are to the right. Original, provocative ideas, discredited by how he deems the political goal to justify any argumentational means. <shakes head>
0 Replies