A2K updated 2/10/11

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:18 pm
Thread to discuss the changes to A2K on 2/10/11.

From what I can see so far:

-Some sort of general page re-design
-'top' and 'bottom' buttons have been changed to arrows
-'next page' and 'reply all' are now at the extreme top or bottom of pages
-Groups have been added at the top
-Buttons to start a new question/discussion are relocated under the 'forums' link, at the home page - no direct link there from anywhere else that I can see
- I don't know if the fonts are smaller or different but it seems a little hard to read.
- BBCode editor is turned off and won't function for me.

I'm assuming/hoping that some of this is a work in progress. Anything else you've noticed?

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Rob started a thread for this in the A2k group - requires joining the group to post.
sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:23 pm
@JPB,
I was gonna post a link but then I saw the farming accident message at the top of the screen. So, that. <points> Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Let's make it easier on Robert and use the thread he started to gather feedback. Here's the link:

http://groups.able2know.org/able2know/topic/8-1
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Let's make it easier on Robert and use the thread he started to gather feedback. Here's the link:

http://groups.able2know.org/able2know/topic/8-1

You're seeing an effect of groups right there; I didn't have any way of knowing that thread even existed when I started this one.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yup

oh my - just noticed the new size of the reply/preview buttons/lettering - guess it's meant for the mature posters - so we won't need bifocals =; D
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I just toggled between forums and groups. The one group I'm a member of - other than the one the reporting thread is in is .... philforum

hahahahahaha
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
You've probably been a member of it ever since the group existed then. The topics from philforum on a2k were moved there and whoever posted on any of them became a member.

Right now there's no way to undo the membership (there will be) but it doesn't really do anything (as you can tell by not having noticed it for months) other than let you post there if you want.
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
i seem to be a member of the nursing forum, i need my HAAD examined :-P
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
s'ok

just seemed funny after all the sturm and drang about the philforum - clicked on my groups to see what that meant and got that huge listing of philforum threads and nothing else
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I got both phils and nurses...

hmmmm.

it is verra unlike me not to remember an encounter with a nurse...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:00 pm
@Rockhead,
check

phils and nurses are 'groups' - then there is a tab for 'my groups'
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:04 pm
@ehBeth,
oh, i see
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:09 pm
Beth is right, Nick looked into it and neither of you were members of that group. But it's a public group and that may have caused the confusion.

There will be a lot of other groups available shortly.

P.S. if we could, can we continue discussing site feedback on the able2know group? That is pretty much what that group is for (a group for meta-discussion about the site).
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Beth is right, Nick looked into it and neither of you were members of that group. But it's a public group and that may have caused the confusion.

There will be a lot of other groups available shortly.

P.S. if we could, can we continue discussing site feedback on the able2know group? That is pretty much what that group is for (a group for meta-discussion about the site).

I've always wondered - could you lock a thread like this if you wanted, with a re-direct in it? Or auto-redirect when people click on the link to it?

Last post in this thread for me.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We have never used the lock function on the new software, and don't intend to for now (it may even break something if used, so mods don't press it out of curiosity please).

If we try to force people to post somewhere they will discover the urge not to. So when you can point them that way (for site discussions and feedback in general, not just this thread).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:03 pm
Testing something.

Edit: Ah, JPB is right. The BBCode Editor Link does not work in the Edit window when on the forums. It does work when in the Groups.
JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
I imagine Nick is working on it. The link wasn't there earlier.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:33 pm
@JPB,
testing again

Edit: BBCode editor link works now.
0 Replies