What is space composed of?

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:03 pm
I'm looking for a general consensus (or an exact answer) about what composes the vacuum of space.

CMBR and the sun itself make it pretty obvious that photons are found in great abundance, but what other particles can be found in space?

Also, a bonus question: in the absence of all known particles, what is there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,820 • Replies: 27
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by lieunacy
Cycloptichorn
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
@lieunacy,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

There ya go.

The most common thing that you'll probably find floating around in the vacuum, in terms of physical atoms, is Hydrogen.

Cycloptichorn
lieunacy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Looks to be exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:29 pm
Dark Matter.

Look into that.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:02 pm
@mars90000000,
You can't "look into" dark matter. That's why they call it dark matter.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:07 pm
@maxdancona,
you can, but you won't see anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

lieunacy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:44 pm
@mars90000000,
Quote:
Dark Matter.

Look into that.

In my opinion dark matter doesn't exist. I consider it an expanse of space devoid of physical matter to scatter light and/or a sufficiently dark area of the universe without light to scatter (that is, either there is nothing there or there is no light to view it if it is).

In other words, unless we had a cosmic "flashlight" to shine on the area, we can't really know what's there. Wink
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:04 pm
@lieunacy,
what is the speed of dark?
mars90000000

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:50 pm
just cause we've never seen dark matter doesnt mean its not there, we simply dont have the *tools* to see.

Before powerful microscopes existed, we wouldnt have believed everything was made of atoms... little did we know.

so again, just because we can't see it doesnt mean its not there.

on the same note... Have you ever seen your brain?... Thought so. You do the math.
Ionus

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:24 am
Dark Matter is the result of pushing particle physics beyond a joke and trying to explain gravity as a pull. If gravity is a push, a result of the volume of space, then dark matter is not and does not matter at all.
0 Replies

lieunacy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 02:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
what is the speed of dark?

In my theory, darkness is the opposite of light. More specifically, it is one of two things: the absence of photons or the absence of solid matter for photons to absorb into.

It does not have a speed as it does not have an associated particle to be observed.

In fact, absolute darkness (the total absence of photons) technically does not exist, as photon waves fill the entirety of the observable universe.

Dark matter, then, are areas of space lacking any light sources, such as stars, quasars, nebulae, supernovae, and other cosmic phenomena.
0 Replies

lieunacy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 02:33 am
@mars90000000,
Quote:
just cause we've never seen dark matter doesnt mean its not there, we simply dont have the *tools* to see.

Before powerful microscopes existed, we wouldnt have believed everything was made of atoms... little did we know.

so again, just because we can't see it doesnt mean its not there.

on the same note... Have you ever seen your brain?... Thought so. You do the math.

The fact that we haven't seen it doesn't effect my view of it (no pun intended), I just don't believe that it exists.

If it does, then it's as my first post implied: it isn't a special kind of matter ("dark matter"), it's solid matter that lacks light or other energy to "reflect" off of it. It's like a dark room before turning on a light. Nothing changes with the light on except that solid matter is now visible; turn it off again, and the matter doesn't disappear nor break apart, only loses the light source that illuminated it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:25 am
@lieunacy,
Read Ian Nicholson's The Dark SIde of the Universe.

Also, if "Dark MAtter" did not exist, its giving apretty good accounting for itsellf in several dozen spectroscopic analyses of galaxy halo areas. Several spec analyses generally agree that there is an equivalent dispersion of light that looks awfully like something composed primarilly of Hydrogen and Helium isotopes.
lieunacy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Also, if "Dark MAtter" did not exist, its giving apretty good accounting for itsellf in several dozen spectroscopic analyses of galaxy halo areas. Several spec analyses generally agree that there is an equivalent dispersion of light that looks awfully like something composed primarilly of Hydrogen and Helium isotopes.

It seems I'm mistaken. It's not that I don't believe in dark matter, it's that I would ascribe a different term for it: dead mass, or mass within a region of space lacking sufficient energy to decay or react. Consequently, the mass's visibility falls to near-zero because there is no light to scatter or refract across its surface.
mars90000000

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:55 am
@lieunacy,
or better... stick with the name already given to it.
lieunacy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:20 am
@mars90000000,
Or how about you worry 'bout you, and I'll worry 'bout me?
0 Replies

MJA

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:52 am
Space contains everything.

=
MJA
0 Replies

xrisxs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 05:49 pm
if you look in a mirror and have one behind you and you make yourself reflect numerous times then do they exist? What energy is being transfered to make those reflections? does your shadow exist? that bit of darkness could not be with out you..oh, and the sun, but interesting enough when you got here you devided light from darkness. imagine staring at a person for an eternity to never look away would the two of you think you were what was in front of you until something came between you? draw a circle on a piece of paper. Yes you have a circle of infinity but you also trapped nothing in the inside. and the outside but note you might have nevered observed the nothing that was given form. Now nothing or anti matter or dark energy is on bothsides. nothing has to be devided. Alot like the inside of you and the outside of you. And your nothingness before you got here and your nothingness when you die. I definately believe in anti matter. i mean how can light even have a journey at all if he has already been there?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:22 pm
@mars90000000,
Quote:
Oh, you mean like God.
xrisxs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:32 pm
whoever posted before me that was priceless.
0 Replies