lieunacy

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 08:12 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Oh, you mean like God.

Did you think of that yourself?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:35 am
At risk of playing the fool here, isn't dark, not the opposite of light, but the name we give to a lack of it? Similar to cold is the name we give to a lack of heat. I mean, you can measure light, but darkness is relative to how well our eyes pick it up. Darkness to a badger per sé would be lower than mine, although I do have poor eyesight.
lieunacy

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:58 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
At risk of playing the fool here, isn't dark, not the opposite of light, but the name we give to a lack of it? Similar to cold is the name we give to a lack of heat. I mean, you can measure light, but darkness is relative to how well our eyes pick it up. Darkness to a badger per sé would be lower than mine, although I do have poor eyesight.

You might interpret that as the opposite, especially in the case of light and dark. If, as you say, darkness if merely a lack of light, would 0% light then mean there is total darkness? 100% light, then, would be 0% darkness.

Yes, darkness is the lack of light -- and it is still very much its opposite.

(By the way, it works with cold and heat as well.)
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:40 pm
@lieunacy,
I appreciate your response, but does that mean that at 90% light, there is a measurable amount of dark present? That would also assume that Lux has a limit to its measure?

Smiley,
exploring the boundaries of his knowledge
mars90000000

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:46 pm
@Ionus,
God aswell... Just because you havent seen him, doesnt man he doesnt exist Smile
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@lieunacy,
Quote:
Did you think of that yourself?
Yes. NO applause please, just send money.
0 Replies

lieunacy

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 12:18 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
I appreciate your response, but does that mean that at 90% light, there is a measurable amount of dark present? That would also assume that Lux has a limit to its measure?

I actually think I'm once again mistaken; you're right, darkness is not the opposite of light, it is not measurable and if we think of light on a scale between 0.01% and 100.00%, darkness is absolute zero. Though that's what you were probably getting at.

But hey, this topic is all wrapped up in shades of gray... Very Happy
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:14 am
@lieunacy,
I do not look good in grey Smile
0 Replies