IS MY CHILD CARE PROVIDER WRONG?

kkk444

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:53 am
I recently returned to work and had to enrol my 6 month old baby in a child care centre. I clearly told the lady who was enrolling my baby that my baby is extremely fussy when it comes to sleep and her reply was "Don't worry our staff is well trained, infact they can teach you some techniques for you to try at home". I was content with that reply. Day one was ok, but after that every single day she has been there, child care provider have said things that i feel they shouldn't be saying (i might be wrong). i just want to ask if they are right in saying that.

They have a dairy where they write about my babys day in the centre.once they wrote "it took baby almost 2 hours to settle, thankfully we had 3 other children today". (i was shocked and thought even if they had more kids, it is their duty of care to that child). when i went to drop her off next day, lady said "if she is like yesterday, we will have to call you for you to pick her up as we have another 8 weeks baby joining us today", (shocked again). I came home and cried thinking what would my child be going through if that's what sthey are like.

And just today they wrote "we are trying to teach her to sit as she expects to be held all the time and its not a one to one ratio". (ok they were right when they say that but i personally didn't like it)

is it normal or am i overreacting?

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 06:13 am
@kkk444,
I think you should find another provider. Several things bother me:

First of all, I don't believe you 'teach' a baby to sit... they will do this on their own.

Edit: babies can't sit up by themselves until their muscles are strong enough so they're insane. It's like trying to teach a newborn to hold up their head. Idiots.

And hey, too bad if baby expects to be held - that's normal for some babies... and are they not day care providers? They could put her in a chair and talk to her instead, or various other things, not try to force her to sit so they can be free.

Secondly, it shouldn't matter how long it takes to settle her and why should you have to pick her up because of that? Lots of babies are fussy and day care people should know that and take it in stride. And why should you have to pick baby up because a) she takes a while to settle, and b) what has that new baby got to do with it??

I'm really not liking these people at all and I really think you should find a new daycare, one where they like having your child and you don't have to worry about all this crap.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:38 am
@kkk444,
I'm with Mame here in that you should find another provider. If a child is going from a 1x1 home situation to a daycare, there is going to be a period of adjustment and the daycare should fully understand this. All my children went through it and our daycare didn't bat an eye. After a couple of weeks, the children were acclimated to the new schedule and everything was fine. If your daycare things that they should call you if your child doesn't sit quietly all day, you need to consider finding another one although I know that is a hardship.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:57 am
On the other hand . . . how do YOU get your child to sleep?

Are you holding her until she falls asleep? This may be why the baby cannot fall asleep by herself. She needs to learn to comfort herself, too.

Re: sitting up. Does she enjoy the room without having to be held all the time? Maybe they are talking about sitting up surrounded by pillows. Does your baby control her own neck? Is she rolling over by herself?

Yes, find another day care. But if that daycare center tells you the same things, then you need to look at ways to help your baby comfort herself when laid down and to enjoy things other than one on one with mom all the time.

Your pediatrcian can help out too if you have questions.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:42 am
I agree with Mame as well. These people do not sound as well trained as they think they are.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:56 am
@plainoldme,
ditto on mame - punkey makes some good points as far as the sleeping issue, however, it sounded like at first that the daycare would work with you on that - ie give you some suggestions. But even if there suggestions are workable (meaning they would actually be helpful for you and your child) this sort of thing takes time and a high quality daycare would understand this and work with you - not demand you take your child home.

Unfortunately it sounds to me like a factory - at 9am all babies fed; 9:30 all babies nap - etc. I can see following a routine which is good for babies, but also needing to be flexible because they little human beings and not objects.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:15 pm
I have a huge problem with them telling you to come and get your baby because they have another one joining them, are they serious, what exactly are they being paid for? If they can't handle the load, why are they accepting more children, especially another baby that is so young...
0 Replies

kkk444

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:49 pm
thanks everyone, so its just not me feeling that their attitude is wrong.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:05 pm
It just doesn't seem to be a good fit for you and your baby.

Move on to other day care options.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:37 pm
@kkk444,
Seek professional advice from a pediatrician.
0 Replies