Does light have Mass?

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:51 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Pete, my ideas on photon mass and energy, are not going to help you solve any dark matter equation. Please be certain of this.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 08:40 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
I know huh. It's miss leading. Description of zero mass. It doesn't mean it's mass less. It means that the mass is not at a state of rest.
So do you think photons have mass?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:44 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy%E2%80%93momentum_relation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Bohr_atom_model_English.svg/2000px-Bohr_atom_model_English.svg.png
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:01 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
When reading this please take notice of the word "rest" mass.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-photons-have-mass.138395/
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 07:18 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Why?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 04:46 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Well I keep talking about the mass of a structure and you keep changing the wordings to mean rest mass. So I wanted to point it out to make sure that you are not confused.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 04:57 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Actually I was out, taking photographs of harbor seals, so I wasn't really thinking about the mass of the structure that you are looking for. Yesterday the masses of Harbor seals were resting on a sand bar, just off of plum island. Today they were no where to be seen, oh well.

Now where were you?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:06 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Ooh sounds great.
Yes you just look back at the posts if you are lost :-)
But don't worry I am not talking directly to you. Nor is anyone talking directly to me. This is a discussion that anyone can join. It's great that you are learning about rest mass. Others are learning with you.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:13 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
What are you learning Pete? I learned that the harbor seals might already be leaving or gone. I can't figure out what they are eating anyway, I think that they might just have been resting their mass on their migration.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:13 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Ooh that sounds great.
Maybe we should open up a topic to discuss seals.
Yes that would be great to discuss this seal topic.
So are you still interested in discussing the topic of "the description of the physical world" over here?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 04:35 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Seals are most certainly a part of the physical world, aren't they?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 10:29 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Awesome! Speaking of seals how would you go about describing the structure of space?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 04:45 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
of course space by its own definition can't have any structure.
Nor can it 'bend'. sheer impossible.
Krumple

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 05:04 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

I am confused. Evrey were I look they say light has no mass. But yet it can be diviated by gravitational pull. They also say that black holes are so dense that light cant even escape. Can someone explain to me how that can happen to something that has no mass?

The light is not effected by gravity. However space is. Space is warped in the presence of matter and the more matter the larger the warp. So to give you a way of imagining this, think of a flat straight road. This road is flat and straight when there is no matter present. When you add matter this road becomes a dip and the dip becomes deeper when more matter is present. So a car driving down this road would have to drive into the dip which means down hill going into the dip and up hill trying to leave the dip. Now if the matter is at the point of a black hole then the dip is incredibly steep. So a car speeding by would have to travel incredibly fast to make it back up the other side. This is how light is being effected, the path light is taking gives the appearance of a bend but it's the space itself which is warped in the presence of matter.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 05:14 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Space is warped in the presence of matter and the more matter the larger the warp

Don't you see or understand that that is impossible? Space can't be warped? How could it?
Krumple

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 06:01 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:
Don't you see or understand that that is impossible? Space can't be warped? How could it?

Space isn't nothing.

We can observe the effects matter has on space when we view objects. Even our sun creates a distortion where a star behind the sun is visible because the sun is bending the space near it causing the light behind it to curve around the sun so it is visible to us. Einstein even predicted this possibility and it has been observed many times. Even the ultra deep field photos have gravitation lensing artifacts. Einstein's explanation of gravity is based on the idea that space can curve and bend in the presence of matter.

This is how gravity can effect objects at very long distances. The sun isn't reaching out and tugging on objects. Instead the sun is creating a sort of well these objects are falling into. If the gravity is intense enough the warpage of space is so great that it bends the light's path giving the illusion that light is not traveling in a straight line. It in fact is traveling in a straight line but the space itself is bent and light is just following the curve of space. Like a car down a curvy road. You would assume the car could just travel straight but it is just following the path of the road.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:00 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Space certainly can and does have structure, everything does. It is just that not everything that is real, can be described by humanity, as humanity does not even know where it came from, nor what it is itself.

Odd, sad, and quite true.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:01 am
@Krumple,
Black holes are not proven real, a new mathematical model has most mass of the hole being spewed off as radiation, thus the gravitational field of the hole is impossible, should this new postulate hold. Interestingly, the new theory is just as valid as any other.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:58 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
Space certainly can and does have structure, everything does. It is just that not everything that is real, can be described by humanity, as humanity does not even know where it came from, nor what it is itself.

Of course space has no structure! You are just parroting some textbook nonsense as far as I am concerned. Space has no structure and space cannot curve! Totally impossible! Just think about it!

Quote:
Odd, sad, and quite true.

What is? Looks like your a confusing things here.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 08:04 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Space isn't nothing.

We can observe the effects matter has on space when we view objects. Even our sun creates a distortion where a star behind the sun is visible because the sun is bending the space near it causing the light behind it to curve around the sun so it is visible to us. Einstein even predicted this possibility and it has been observed many times. Even the ultra deep field photos have gravitation lensing artifacts. Einstein's explanation of gravity is based on the idea that space can curve and bend in the presence of matter.

This is how gravity can effect objects at very long distances. The sun isn't reaching out and tugging on objects. Instead the sun is creating a sort of well these objects are falling into. If the gravity is intense enough the warpage of space is so great that it bends the light's path giving the illusion that light is not traveling in a straight line. It in fact is traveling in a straight line but the space itself is bent and light is just following the curve of space. Like a car down a curvy road. You would assume the car could just travel straight but it is just following the path of the road.

sheer nonsense! But I am probably not allowd to say that!!!

space bent? lol, sure! It is all a mind ****!
0 Replies