Enquire within upon everything....

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:46 pm
Big, big news from the library world!

The 22nd edition of the Dewey Decimal Classification has finally been published. If it opens, shuts, talks, walks, gestates, masturbates, moos, glues, cognates, burns, floats, occured, is/was controversial, or just plain needed to be classified it's all there in 4 volumes!

http://www.dadirect.com/Books/showpic.asp?filename=0910608709
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,632 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
It probably conjugates in public, as well, without the least regard for the delicate sensibilities of our children . . . another disgusting example of the assault of secular humanists on our cherished values . . . Oooops ! ! ! this ain't the politcal forum, is it . . . sorry . . .
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
I hope you have noted the 'flashy' new green cover. This is bound to split the library world with this 'new, improved' look. What are those wild people at OCLC thinking of?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:50 pm
The slaughter is likely to be horrible, it is too much to contemplate . . . ah, tragedy, thy name is innovation . . .
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:08 pm
The rot started when we abandoned the time-honoured tradition of parchment and quill pen for the white-hot allure of the printing press.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:17 pm
Nah - 'twas the end of hieroglyphs and cuneiform that started the rot.

It has all been downhill since then....
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:50 pm
Hieroglyphs? Cuneiform? Knots in goat-hair strings were always good enough for good ol' Dad... after all, if you can keep track of the flocks and the sons, what else do you really need???

And who is this Classification guy, anyhow? Anybody whose first name is Dewey has to be a sissy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:02 pm
I'm an analogue kinda guy meself.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:38 pm
Wy wrote:
Anybody whose first name is Dewey has to be a sissy.

Wy - you mock the Library Gods at the risk of your soul eternally bored in Hell's Reading Room. Only Judith Kranz, Danielle Steele and thrillers with the last chapters torn out will be your literary fare for all eternity!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:43 pm
LoL....I'd be in hell if I didn't have the ending to any of them trashy Jackie Collins books.....haha.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 01:56 am
Pondy has book of changed!!!!!

I can't laugh at him - though he is still wet.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:34 am
He was just iching for something new . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:15 am
Let us, then, find him a flea...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 11:04 am
Where did Mr. Dewey stand in the matter of his desktop.

Organized?

Cluttered?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:59 pm
I bet our old mate, Melville Dewey has a remarkably organised desktop!

The inventor of the DDC undoubtedly has a sick mind, and has been roundly cursed by librarians ever since Dewey 1.

Of course the best classification system is size and colour. Big books, then little books. Then, within category, though the colours of the rainbow.

Well- that's what I did when I was a librarian - but the boss was a tad tetchy! I'm no longer a librarian - is that why?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 03:07 pm
Very possibly, Margo, very possibly....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:26 pm
Size and color, absolutely!! Of course it is nice if art books are separated from construction associated ephemera, from literature, but not entirely. I have been known to stick the odd relevant text from another realm in with non-mates.
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:10 pm
The new system masturbates? Wow. Gotta be pretty hard if you're a classification system. Of course, this finally proves my theory that the DDS is actually a malignant entity that's propagating itself through book and hapless librarians, absorbing info until it finally has enough to take over the world and MAKE SLAVES OF US ALL!!!!

Librarians, principles, most teachers and bosses have already succumbed!!! STAY AWAY from Margo - he is a vector!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:14 pm
Twisted_Ferret wrote:
Librarians, principles, most teachers and bosses have already succumbed!!! STAY AWAY from Margo - he is a vector!!!!

Jeez - I bin called a lotta things - but....a vector! Hmmmmmm?????????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:15 pm
He????!!!
0 Replies