Experience in resume...

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't believe you have a degree yourself or any experience working in a situation where they are required - at all. You're simply spouting off bullshit.

Tell us - what is your personal experience in this area? Where did you earn your degree and how has it helped you be more valuable than others who have what you consider to be 'lesser' degrees? Be specific.

I knew I shouldn't have even bothered responding to the first post, as those who can't take the time to write properly certainly have no credibility when it comes to criticizing those who are trained to do so.

Cycloptichorn

You are are getting personal, but I will entertain you. I have a joint degree in BS and MS in mathematics from UCLA ( which the last time i check, rank top 1 or 2 in my my major for the entire US). I have worked is a software development, Finance analysis, and am currently an actuary, & consultant. Now, may I ask what you do?

You don 't want to talk to me, because I don 't write properly? Is this right? For some of us, our fours years are done solving problems, and not partying, moron. This shows the limit of your skill set. To you, skills amount to only writing. I actually have to solve math problems.

Liberal argue degrees do in fact have low market value. No one really major in it because they want to make a living.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You mean the "market" demands less queens and more pawn´s, is it that ?
Meaning, there will be always far less generals then soldiers...so what ?
What does that says about usefulness ? You mean making money ?
"Real players" in Liberal Arts, are not those who flood the market after the major´s degree, but that small minority who actually is capable of management...no lack of opportunities for those...so your comparison is not only flawed but linear in scope...

It is always the case that there is going to be a small minority capable of management, but LA are not going to let you manage anything at all, except perhaps managing other Liberal art majors. You will be happy waiting at restaurants, or working at a bookstore.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:21 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I think the idea of throwing experience into some education section is, well, kinda silly. Education, in a resume = college, classes or the like. Experience = work, including volunteer work. A resume is a formal, stylized document. Putting education into the experience section or vice verse doesn't do much except to not get the jobseeker a job. It's a formal document, like a legal brief. It has to be put together in a fairly specific manner (although there is room for variations). But the bottom line is, talking about any of this in the context of a resume is not exactly valid but that's because of the actual requirements of that particular species of document.

Now for the dissing of Liberal Arts majors.

There are people who graduate from college unprepared for the world. I dated a guy who got his degree in mechanical engineering, an eminently practical degree. He sells insurance now (we graduated college in '83 -- we are far from right outta school).

Another went to Law School with me. He works in a dairy (in all fairness to the people in the dairy industry, the dude never passed the Bar).

I did pass the Bar. I work in IT.

One of my former bosses has her PhD in Linguistics. Interesting but impractical, you might say. Yet she has been a manager for over a decade and no, she doesn't have an MBA. Yet she has weathered recessions -- including this one -- without batting an eye.

What is practical? What is useful under the standards?

Computer Science? Languages and programs change by the week. Engineering? In the 70s, engineers with great and wonderful educations in tubes were suddenly made obsolete when transistors came on the scene. Unless they adapted, they died out.

How 'bout degrees in things like English? In most of the jobs I've had (and yes, I mean the IT ones and, actually, I mean those even more), the ability to express oneself coherently on paper is extremely important. More so, often, than any computer class that one may have taken, for a lot of people learn coding. It's not every day that there is a coder who can actually write a coherent and compelling memorandum or other document without it being overly technical or written in marketspeak. I can do that. Most of my computer science colleagues could not.

Who's got the practical major now?

You work in IT? You ought to know that the people in the field are constantly learning. It is a perpetual struggle to keep up. You graduated in 1980 ' s, but how true is it in 2011? You mention a guy with a phd in linguistic, but not many people will go on to get a phd in the field. Some people will automatically get a job, because getting a phd indicate to people that they are smart.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:04 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
You are are getting personal, but I will entertain you. I have a joint degree in BS and MS in mathematics from UCLA ( which the last time i check, rank top 1 or 2 in my my major for the entire US). I have worked is a software development, Finance analysis, and am currently an actuary, & consultant. Now, may I ask what you do?

I also work as a financial analyst. I have a couple of degrees in History from the University of Texas. My analytical and communication skills that stem from that period have served me well - the ability to analyze data and manipulate data isn't useful if you're unable to properly present the results, convince coworkers, superiors and clients to take a certain course of action, or build bonds of trust and respect in a pressure-intensive workplace.

Math problems are the easiest part of my job.

Quote:
You don 't want to talk to me, because I don 't write properly? Is this right? For some of us, our fours years are done solving problems, and not partying, moron. This shows the limit of your skill set. To you, skills amount to only writing. I actually have to solve math problems.

You are making false assumptions in this paragraph, and it doesn't serve you well. But, since you mention it; I can't imagine someone who has the skills that you claim to have who writes so poorly. It would be embarrassing to me. This last post is the only one which has had a semblance of effort put into it. Here on A2k, you're not solving math problems. You're not doing **** with your degree. But your writing does represent yourself; it's the only way you have to tell people about yourself. When you don't give a **** it tells people that you don't give a **** about putting a good face forward.

Quote:
Liberal argue degrees do in fact have low market value. No one really major in it because they want to make a living.

I majored in History because I really enjoyed it and thought I would learn something. I did enjoy it and I did learn a lot - not just what happened, but the process of History itself and how to best discuss it with others. I chose something I enjoyed, because my life isn't dedicated to earning the highest possible return. I'm now super-happy I did and it has worked out great for me and my family. People I know who focused on which degree would be the most profitable aren't so happy and have had a harder road of it. I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

You started off this thread with an inflammatory attack towards people who you really don't know **** about. Why do you have such a poor opinion of people who took different degrees than you? Because we achieve success and you feel our road was easier, and it's not fair? Because you feel that your skill-set somehow makes you superior? Is one of us your boss now? That does tend to happen, yaknow.

I submit that you in fact know very little about the market and what it rewards - especially over time. Jespah is totally correct; as the years go by, one's education section becomes two lines on the resume. The fact that you seem really confused by this doesn't fill me with confidence regarding your opinion of others' skills and utility in the workplace.

Cycloptichorn
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:18 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

You work in IT? You ought to know that the people in the field are constantly learning. It is a perpetual struggle to keep up. You graduated in 1980 ' s, but how true is it in 2011? You mention a guy with a phd in linguistic, but not many people will go on to get a phd in the field. Some people will automatically get a job, because getting a phd indicate to people that they are smart.

Yes, we are constantly learning. But it's often not in the context of what a resume -- a highly stylized document, like I have said -- calls "Education". It's usually in the area called "Experience". I learned SQL in classes. That sits in my Education section, but also in the Skills section. I learned Hyperion on the job. That goes in my Experience section.

And yeah, it's a struggle to keep up. It was mainframes when I was in college. You keep up or you don't get work -- but it's not always in the context of college or anything that on a resume is referred to as Education. It is often called Experience, and is just as vital to getting hired.

The "guy" with the PhD in Linguistics is female, BTW. Her PhD was helpful to get into the field she's in (Voice Recognition) but not to stay there, and certainly not to get into management.

I am not gonna tell you that there is no one out there with a useless degree. Lots of folks, I am sure, have 'em. But there are plenty of people with similar or even the same degrees who have rather effectively made something of themselves. Let's not throw them all into the same bin.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What math do you use? Are you familiar with prove? Say can you be able to prove to me to me that some problems are NP-complete? Can you tell me something about mathematical models you use? What about risk management? What would be the risk of an insurance company with N people with each have a mean of mu, and variance of s^2 ?

Quote:

Quote:
analytical and communication skills that stem from that period have served me well - the ability to analyze data and manipulate data isn't useful if you're unable to properly present the results, convince coworkers, superiors and clients to take a certain course of action, or build bonds of trust and respect in a pressure-intensive workplace.

I don ' t see how your education match with what you do. How do you do statistical analysis without knowing probability, or statistics? In college, I focus all my energy to pure mathematics, but it is only latter that I pick up the probability, since those actuary exams are known to be quite difficult. It is not an easy thing.

Quote:
You are making false assumptions in this paragraph, and it doesn't serve you well.

No, it seems pretty clear to anyone that to you, your "skills" is writing, right?
If not, I am interesting in hearing what I am missing.

Quote:

I majored in History because I really enjoyed it and thought I would learn something. I did enjoy it and I did learn a lot - not just what happened, but the process of History itself and how to best discuss it with others. I chose something I enjoyed, because my life isn't dedicated to earning the highest possible return. I'm now super-happy I did and it has worked out great for me and my family. People I know who focused on which degree would be the most profitable aren't so happy and have had a harder road of it. I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

This is nice to know, but relevant to the issue. The issue is the marketability of a liberal arts degree. It is just not marketable. It is a fact supported by observation, and data.

Quote:
You started off this thread with an inflammatory attack towards people who you really don't know **** about. Why do you have such a poor opinion of people who took different degrees than you? Because we achieve success and you feel our road was easier, and it's not fair? Because you feel that your skill-set somehow makes you superior? Is one of us your boss now? That does tend to happen, yaknow.

I am sure it is possible, but not very likely. You can look some of the most profitable companies, and you notice that a lot of the founders, and CEOs got their degrees in math, physics, or engineering. They get the "management skills" they need in their MBA. It is more likely that those people LA work at your local Starbuck.

Quote:
I submit that you in fact know very little about the market and what it rewards - especially over time. Jespah is totally correct; as the years go by, one's education section becomes two lines on the resume. The fact that you seem really confused by this doesn't fill me with confidence regarding your opinion of others' skills and utility in the workplace.

I am confused? I think education is an no going process, and it definitely goes beyond that 4 years.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:29 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I am not gonna tell you that there is no one out there with a useless degree. Lots of folks, I am sure, have 'em. But there are plenty of people with similar or even the same degrees who have rather effectively made something of themselves. Let's not throw them all into the same bin.

I not sure why you use the few that "made it" as representing that majority that don 't. A lot of people want to be actors/actresses, and want to make it big in Hollywood, but most don 't live up to their expectation. A more balance picture ought to reflect the majority of people, and not the minority of people.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

You can look some of the most profitable companies, and you notice that a lot of the founders, and CEOs got their degrees in math, physics, or engineering. They get the "management skills" they need in their MBA.

A lot of founders, and CEO's, of hugely profitable companies have no degrees. <shrug>

Formal education can play a part in the success of some people.

Some people with degrees don't do well at all when they leave academia.

Good personal/psychological fit has become increasingly important when assessing potential employees.

Emotional intelligence, experience and education (formal or on-the-job) are all valued by employers.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:47 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

What math do you use? Are you familiar with prove? Say can you be able to prove to me to me that some problems are NP-complete? Can you tell me something about mathematical models you use? What about risk management? What would be the risk of an insurance company with N people with each have a mean of mu, and variance of s^2 ?

I'm not an actuary - I work on the financial end. I don't use mathematical models on any regular basis.

You seem to be confusing my job with your job. Not sure why. I'm not in a pissing contest with you re: math skills.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
analytical and communication skills that stem from that period have served me well - the ability to analyze data and manipulate data isn't useful if you're unable to properly present the results, convince coworkers, superiors and clients to take a certain course of action, or build bonds of trust and respect in a pressure-intensive workplace.

I don't see how your education match with what you do. How do you do statistical analysis without knowing probability, or statistics? In college, I focus all my energy to pure mathematics, but it is only latter that I pick up the probability, since those actuary exams are known to be quite difficult. It is not an easy thing.

I know what you do isn't an easy thing. But you assume what others do IS easy. That's an error. Communication isn't easy, which is why so many people are bad at it.

Quote:
Quote:
You are making false assumptions in this paragraph, and it doesn't serve you well.

No, it seems pretty clear to anyone that to you, your "skills" is writing, right?
If not, I am interesting in hearing what I am missing.

It's pretty clear that 'your skills' isn't writing Laughing

I run several aspects of the financial organization for the company I work for, including a large amount of forecasting and planning. There's less math and formulas than there is situational analysis and marketplace knowledge.

Quote:
Quote:

This is nice to know, but relevant to the issue.

I agree, it is relevant to the issue.

Quote:

The issue is the marketability of a liberal arts degree. It is just not marketable. It is a fact supported by observation, and data.

You're incorrect. The fact that other professions out of college earn a higher starting salary has nothing to do with the marketability of LA degrees. And in fact, I think that you'll find many more people in business who have LA degrees than any other - because knowing one skillset in-depth, while useful, doesn't make one a well-rounded employee.

This is a well-known fact. We used to call it the 'accountants' dilemma.'

Quote:
Quote:

I am sure it is possible, but not very likely. You can look some of the most profitable companies, and you notice that a lot of the founders, and CEOs got their degrees in math, physics, or engineering. They get the "management skills" they need in their MBA. It is more likely that those people LA work at your local Starbuck.

This is just an assertion on your part which you made up. You aren't looking at a data set to generate this opinion; just spouting off.

Not only that, but you didn't answer the question: why the negative opinion? Why such an inflated self-opinion?

Quote:
Quote:

I am confused? I think education is an no going process, and it definitely goes beyond that 4 years.
[/quote]

You certainly sound confused about the difference between education and experience on a resume, and what items should go where.

Or maybe it's just your poor writing that makes you look confused.

As I said earlier - your lack of command or care in language skills sort of invalidates your weak attempts to put down others who you consider to have 'lesser' degrees.

This is boring, I've made my point in this thread. I won't bother to respond any further unless you have something interesting to add.

Cycloptichorn
dogdog

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 02:32 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Check this out: http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/careers/employers/documents/WhyHireaLiberalArtsmajorNEWDoc.pdf

You make some weak assumptions here. Experience is important, whether it is experience in the field or something like traveling in Latin America for a year practicing the language and appreciating the varied cultures. I put that on my last resume and people took notice. My current employer asked about it in my interview, and it gave me a chance to share something of myself while revealing my skill with the language and my affection for culturas latinas. In a town that is over half hispanic, and myself being bald and white, I think that experience in Latin America got me the job more or at least as much as my degrees or prior work experience. It depends on what kind of job you're looking for, too.

Most liberal arts majors have mastered the basics of grammar and punctuation, by the way, which is more than I can say about you. If English is not your first language I will give you a pass, though.

My humanities degree got me a job at a paralegal firm, and that job paid for my next degree... Besides, I think my first B.A. was worth it job or not. Regardless, I've never had difficulty finding work and I don't think any of my employers have considered me "pretty damn useless."
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:26 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
jespah wrote:

I not sure why you use the few that "made it" as representing that majority that don 't. A lot of people want to be actors/actresses, and want to make it big in Hollywood, but most don 't live up to their expectation. A more balance picture ought to reflect the majority of people, and not the minority of people.

Few -- only because I am, sadly, not personally acquainted with the majority of people.

BTW, what are "useless" degrees per your own, personal, standards? Do they turn useful if someone piggybacks on them in order to get into graduate study? Do they become useful if someone is hired because they have a BA -- any BA? Do useful degrees turn useless when someone is out of work for a particular length of time? What's the cut-off? You're a numbers person. What's your concrete definition of when even "useful" degrees hit the skids?

My BA is in Philosophy. I have never gotten a job as a Philosopher. That would mean it's useless, yes? But I got into Law School with it. So it's useful, right? But I stopped practicing Law over 20 years ago. Useless again? But I got other work. Back to useful? But now I'm out of work. Useless again? But it's a lousy economy and lots of people are out of work. Useful again, or at least the jury is still out?

Uh, where does this line get drawn? Or is the idea of usefulness versus uselessness a subjective construct?
Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
SERIOUSLY???

Here's the thing, Alan...

Your entire attack on Arts degrees has been based on reducing value to a single statistic. You are saying that the mean value of an Arts degree is less than the mean value of a Science degree in the marketplace, right? As far as the income distributions associated with those degrees are concerned, I doubt you even know the standard deviation of either, let alone the skewness or kurtosis. From what I hear Jespah saying, all the income distributions for the different degrees have high coefficients of variation. I hear Fil Alburquerque telling you about the heavy right-side tail that the income distribution for Arts majors has. They are the ones trying to provide the balanced and complete picture here. You're the one trying to reduce the concept of a degree's value to a single summary statistic--mean income.

Here's another facet of the value of Arts degrees you may have missed. There is no reason to assume that the ratio of the mean value of a Science degree to the mean value of an Arts degree should be as high at Elite U. as it would be at the Powdunk University of Nowhere. In fact, at Elite U. that ratio might even be less than 1 for all you know. In other words, it is quite possible that Arts graduates from Elite U. make more on average than Science graduates from the same school, whatever the national average incomes may be for people who got similar degrees at subpar schools.

So let's summarise...

Whether Science degrees are worth more than Arts degrees is a function of (1) the tier of school you attended, and (2) where you expect to land on the income distribution associated with your chosen degree. Trying to boil down your comparison of Arts and Science to statements like "liberal arts, and some social science are not worth **** when it comes to getting that first job" doesn't work.
Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
My BA is in Philosophy. I have never gotten a job as a Philosopher. That would mean it's useless, yes? But I got into Law School with it. So it's useful, right?

I had a rich entrepreneur friend once who worked in IT. I asked why he had majored in something as "useless" as Philosophy. He told me that Philosophy programs taught one how to think, better than any other major out there. He's doing alright. The ability to reason verbally and abstractly proved lucrative in the end.

Don't underestimate the value of abstract math classes, though, if you want to be able to hack your way through difficult puzzles. Abstract math is good, solid weight-training for the non-verbal mind. Wink
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:33 am
Hmm, I haven't read he whole thread but I'd say the main issue is that arts degrees encourage the type of 'out of the box' thinking/questioning that isn't really required in most jobs unti you get a little further up the ladder.
Very generally speaking, in initial roles it's probably even detrimental; the bosses want you to **** munch not dream.

I do think that by claiming all arts degrees are useless you're forgetting that in the process of obtaining one you spend three years writing out cogent arguments.
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:13 am
@Oylok,
Hi Oylok, dunno if we've met.

And that's what I've used my background for -- figuring out whether something is a logical tautology or contradiction, usually.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

You can look some of the most profitable companies, and you notice that a lot of the founders, and CEOs got their degrees in math, physics, or engineering. They get the "management skills" they need in their MBA.

A lot of founders, and CEO's, of hugely profitable companies have no degrees. <shrug>

Formal education can play a part in the success of some people.

Some people with degrees don't do well at all when they leave academia.

Good personal/psychological fit has become increasingly important when assessing potential employees.

Emotional intelligence, experience and education (formal or on-the-job) are all valued by employers.

That is true if you know people inside the profession and it helps that the professional is not too technical. It also has to do with the time. If you look at some of the richest people in the world, some of them tend to be old, and in professions like retail. The world these old rich people earn their fortune is quite a different world from the one we have now. In the past, it is easy to break into any profession with a whatever degree, but now, with global competition, and specialization, it is much harder. Case in point is that all the recent icon companies are from founders with ivy league education in math, physics, or engineering.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:06 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
That is true if you know people inside the profession and it helps that the professional is not too technical. It also has to do with the time. If you look at some of the richest people in the world, some of them tend to be old, and in professions like retail. The world these old rich people earn their fortune is quite a different world from the one we have now. In the past, it is easy to break into any profession with a whatever degree, but now, with global competition, and specialization, it is much harder. Case in point is that all the recent icon companies are from founders with ivy league education in math, physics, or engineering.

Extreme specialization which in turn justify´s precisely why we are having more and more clone products in the industry, with less and less creativity attached to them...general knowledge brings depth of scope and wisdom for those who actually invest in it...we all know about how these days kids are not even able to stablish coherent thoughts in a paper shed...there are study´s on the subject in my field (Education) on the main reasons for that...guess what, it is not just the overwhelming amount of data going on in the information age, but essentially the inability by lack of training to deal with it...that´s where the problem resides.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm not an actuary - I work on the financial end. I don't use mathematical models on any regular basis.

You seem to be confusing my job with your job. Not sure why. I'm not in a pissing contest with you re: math skills.

I am not confused. I am making a point that t I have a bigger dick than you. My job is more difficult, and it pays more than your job. Also, the **** skill set I have is more valuable than your skill set. What you do is something that any yahoo can do with an online degree.

Quote:

I know what you do isn't an easy thing. But you assume what others do IS easy. That's an error. Communication isn't easy, which is why so many people are bad at it.

I am not assuming it. My only point is that LA degree have low demand in the labor market. I also doubt there is any particular set of skills you only get from a LA degree, and not from some BS degree.

Quote:

It's pretty clear that 'your skills' isn't writing Laughing

Yep, but my "skills" is in high demand, and it is not something a **** like you can do.

Quote:

I run several aspects of the financial organization for the company I work for, including a large amount of forecasting and planning. There's less math and formulas than there is situational analysis and marketplace knowledge.

So, you pretty much do nothing at all. I say your got a pretty ******* good job.

Quote:

You're incorrect. The fact that other professions out of college earn a higher starting salary has nothing to do with the marketability of LA degrees. And in fact, I think that you'll find many more people in business who have LA degrees than any other - because knowing one skillset in-depth, while useful, doesn't make one a well-rounded employee.

So, getting a LA degree makes you well-rounded? How are you not a moron? Being "well-rounded" is an inner disposition of a person. Some people are naturally cheerful, and this a disposition of that type of people. It has nothing to do with what they know, and the skills they have. Idiot.

Quote:

This is just an assertion on your part which you made up. You aren't looking at a data set to generate this opinion; just spouting off.

Why would I lie? It makes no ******* sense at all. All the bay area tech companies are started mostly, if not all from people in math, physics, and engineering. All the tech, telecom, engineering companies are founded/CEO by graduates in math, physics, or engineering. Check it you, you ******* moron.

Quote:
Not only that, but you didn't answer the question: why the negative opinion? Why such an inflated self-opinion?

I don 't like people spout something that is false. LA degrees are less demanded in the labor market than math, physics, or engineering degrees. Some people like to live in a delusion, because it feels good. I ******* hate that. You need to face reality, and not distort the truth.

Quote:
You certainly sound confused about the difference between education and experience on a resume, and what items should go where.

Or maybe it's just your poor writing that makes you look confused.

You only think I am confused because I am willing to question what seems to be a formality, and accepted practice. In fact, you are the ******* confused one. Anyone can accept norms, and rules, and just leave it at that, because it is what it is. It takes some out of the box thing to question the accepted..

Quote:
As I said earlier - your lack of command or care in language skills sort of invalidates your weak attempts to put down others who you consider to have 'lesser' degrees.

I am not trying to put you down, moron. I am telling what is the truth. We have observations, and data to back up my claim. It is very simple, and not fancy language. Get it?

Quote:
This is boring, I've made my point in this thread. I won't bother to respond any further unless you have something interesting to add.

I am also by bore your resistance to the facts. It is fun to call you a moron, because you are.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:43 am
@dogdog,
dogdog wrote:

Check this out: http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/careers/employers/documents/WhyHireaLiberalArtsmajorNEWDoc.pdf

You make some weak assumptions here. Experience is important, whether it is experience in the field or something like traveling in Latin America for a year practicing the language and appreciating the varied cultures. I put that on my last resume and people took notice. My current employer asked about it in my interview, and it gave me a chance to share something of myself while revealing my skill with the language and my affection for culturas latinas. In a town that is over half hispanic, and myself being bald and white, I think that experience in Latin America got me the job more or at least as much as my degrees or prior work experience. It depends on what kind of job you're looking for, too.

Most liberal arts majors have mastered the basics of grammar and punctuation, by the way, which is more than I can say about you. If English is not your first language I will give you a pass, though.

My humanities degree got me a job at a paralegal firm, and that job paid for my next degree... Besides, I think my first B.A. was worth it job or not. Regardless, I've never had difficulty finding work and I don't think any of my employers have considered me "pretty damn useless."

I think the pdf is a lie. People don 't look for **** like that.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:55 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:
jespah wrote:

It is actually not hard to define useful. I say a set of education, skill set , and experiences are useful if you can get a higher relative income to the rest of the population. The "value" of anything is determined by the market at a particular point in time. Suppose, you are old, and have very little experience, then you have a low market value in the labor market. Suppose you are really old( 100 years old), then you have a near zero market value.

I understand my thinking can be cold, and heartless. Some people like fanciful thinking, because it is comforting. I am not like that.

0 Replies