THAT ELUSIVE BONUS

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:41 am
Well, when they fired my supervisor and gave me his job, they were so pleased with the improvements I made that they gave me a $1,500 bonus. Quite an improvement over the dumb-ass box of cheese they used to give. But it was downhill after that. Every year I do many tasks not in my job description. I work hard and do them well. How do I get rewarded? The next year they gave me $500. The following year $350. Then the supervisor said that we appeared to be taking our bonuses as a "right." That year: no bonus at all. This year I got $250. After taxes - You do the math. Does it come in handy? Sure. But why can't I be rewarded for those above and beyond the call of duty jobs I perform almost daily, at their request? It's not like they haven't the money.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,951 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
Ah, edgar. That ain't right, my friend. Hang a piece of mistletoe on your coat tail as you leave work today. Evil or Very Mad

Seriously, the only bonus we got in the teaching profession was a break at Christmas. Frankly, that was much better than money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:20 am
My wife worked for a school district more than 17 years. The time off she got was a blessing. They certainly pinched the pennies there. She recieved what the called tenure pay after a time. It was not much for all the years of service.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:28 am
It was above and beyond the call in year one. After that, above and beyond the call of duty becomes the norm. Sorry. I got a bonus, but the gross was about 35% of prior years bonus. Well, misery loves company, and none of the staff and management did as well as last year. The roughnecks held up well, but didn't have much in the first place.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:33 am
I have been recommended for a bonus this year (after two years I have to add, as for the past two years, people above a certain salary were not eligble for either bonus or pay hikes due to cost cutting) But yet to find out how much it is going to be....

I live in anticipation....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:41 am
I believe you will be amply rewarded, Gautam.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:55 am
roger
The above and beyond call increases each time the owners pay us a visit. I have to do a shoddy job at my old duties to keep up with the new. They are well aware that nobody else in the business would accept the extra duties at all. When I leave, they will be forced to hire multiple workers. No way they could not be aware of at least most of these things. If I were younger I too would refuse most of it. I am so close to retirement now I don't want to rock the boat. It is not ego that I know there will be a real void after I am gone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:59 am
I have the same beliefs about the void I will leave, yet lack your faith in management's awarness of just how much is being done by one person. "The work has always gotten done, it always will", seems to be the thought.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:01 am
At Mrs. cav's company this year, no bonuses whatsoever, for anyone. Sucks all around, if you ask me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:07 am
These owners know perfectly well that outside contractors will then be called in (when I leave). The few thousands I spend for them will increase to a hundred thousand or more at one shot, depending on the choices they make.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I believe you will be amply rewarded, Gautam.

Gee, I really hope so - I have already spent it !! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:18 am
Bad move, Gautam. What if it's a box of cheese?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:21 am
Cav
I believe a boss should give something. Depending on company solvency, it could be little more than a letter of appreciation and a card - or thousands of dollars. Since there are no rules other than human nature, it's hard to say in many cases.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:32 am
Your point about leaving a void is well taken EB. When i tell my employer, as i regularly do of late, that i will quit, he says, in all seriousness, "you can't quit." He needs to get used to the idea, though, as i do plan to move to Canada as soon as i can afford to do so.

Perceptions about the value of what one does often attach to the work one does. When i worked in the field, simply as a cable-puller and installer, and not a lead technician, i got regular raises. But now that i am the business manager, i have to ask for a raise, and if he concedes the raise, he then gives raises to all the lead technicians, claiming it would not be fair to reward me and not them. I don't object, it is after all his business. However, i have saved him literally tens of thousands of dollars each year by finding better prices for materials and equipment, bullying vendors into paying for freight in order to retain our business, making sure that all potentially tax-exempt transactions are exempted--the list of what i do to streamline the conduct of financial business and make real savings without sacrificing the quality for which our company has a justifiable reputation, is a very long list indeed. I have been promised performance bonuses, which i have never received. This year, we increased our work force by two--which is a 15% increase. One of them is a salesman, which means a much greater than 15% increase in the volume of work that we do. As i do all personnel paperwork, all tax paperwork, all payroll, all bookkeeping, all purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, all the correspondence, and am responsible for all equipment purchases (for the company as opposed to the buying for sale to the customers, which i also do), this has meant an enormous increase in the work for which i am responsible. He is in all other respects a generous man. He pays 100% of the cost of health and dental insurance, disability insurance and life insurance. He makes a matching contribution to the 401(k) each year. He provides us all with cellular telephones, and fuel cards. We used to carry pagers, which he also provided, but we've stopped using those. If he doesn't come up with a substantial bonus this year, after failing for three years to give me promised performance bonuses (although i did get annual bonuses), he'll see me headed north much sooner than either of us expected.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:37 am
Workers of the world unite!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
You have nothing to lose buy your paychecks ! ! !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:40 am
Setanta wrote:
He needs to get used to the idea, though, as i do plan to move to Canada as soon as i can afford to do so.

Hey! This is cool!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:41 am
Yes, it is often cool in Canada, but, more frequently, damned cold.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:41 am
Not being flip, setanta. I just couldn't resist saying it. Bosses have a nose for picking out work horses and they try their best to work them to death. When I was in construction the bosses invariably promised to promote me and raise my pay. But I put my whole energy into my job and they were reluctant to let me move into any other position. Result: Less talented men were promoted over me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:43 am
I've seen the same thing, EB . . . this is part and parcel with the trait of capitalism to seek the bottom line. This is also why labor unions started, and why Reagan's attack on unions is a continuing disaster. Unions made working life and the rewards for labor better for everyone, not just union members.
0 Replies