art of robert hollingsworth

Barbara Thomas

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
@ezrahh,
Don't have information, but do have a few sketches of his.
0 Replies

Jean Dibner

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:35 am
@ezrahh,
Yes, he is represented by the Haley Gallery in ME Edit [Moderator]: Link removed where you can see his sculpture. He also has a website now for his paintings, they are AMAZING!! On a sad note, he passed away in February after a fierce battle with cancer. j dibner
JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:16 pm
@Jean Dibner,
What's the website for his paintings?
0 Replies

kukana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:11 pm
@Candace Katamay,
I have the exact pen and ink drawings and they are quite nice...0ne is dated 1981.
0 Replies

Cale

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:25 am
As of March,2011 Robert M. Hollingsworth the artist is living and residing in the Spanish Fort, Alabama area. The Train Station, school house, old house and train caboose pen and inks were done while he lived in Tuscaloosa during the early 1970's. The prints were produced as a trade for the original hand drawn pictures for a Tuscaloosa businessman. Robert used the prints mostly as gifts and as a training aid for selling for his son. His other work includes portraits of the SGA Presidents of the University of Alabama. To my knowledge they are still hanging in the presidents room at the ferguson center on campus. He is also know for drawing one of the best "Bear" Bryant portraits ever. It was considered to be put on a stamp at one point.
Most of Roberts Personal work that he kept over the years was destroyed in 2004 when hurricane Ivan washed his house away. His son still has some of his paintings and portraits. The majority of his work was commissioned by individuals and companies. He lived and worked in the central Alabama area until 1991 when he and his wife moved to the Baldwin county area. Most of his work can be found in these areas. However, that I know of, many of his paintings were bought and taken to other parts of the world.
He was not just a pen and ink artist. He also used pastels, water color, oil and acrylic paints. His love and passion were his oil portraits. At the peek of his career he was commissioning them for upwards of $10,000 each. His other great work was his composite portraits. He would photograph a family and all of their activities and paint them on four foot by four foot panels. Some have said over the years that his style inspired Daniel Moore's goal line stand portrait.

hgb1964

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:14 pm
A friend of mine was about to throw out a 2 story window (the movie 'waiting to exhale'...well she was exhaling quite a bit)...I told her NO! don't do that...she turned to me and said the you take them then! So I took all the ones she had and several drawings (origionals done by another 'southern artist' who is now an art instructor at the Jacksonville, FL college. I must have about 7 of Mr. Hollinsworths reproduced copies and may have one origional, I have not taken them to someone that can tell me exactly what they are.

I love the drawings, and I plan to have them framed. I do have a couple of questions: 1. are the copies selling or auctioning off for? If Mr. Hollingsworth was the only one who reporduced them, how do we know how many he did? 2. Where can I go to possibly have them sold (if possible)?
3. And lastly, did Mr. Hollingsworth 'hide' his signature in his drawings? I have one or two that I cannot find his signature.

I also ask these questions b/c my son had open heart surgery recently and what insurance didn't cover...maybe the posters/paintings/and drawings my dear friend gave me, will help. Thank you in advance for any help you gave give.

H.

0 Replies

katie618885

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:45 pm
@randitm,
Hes my grandpa was married to Denise Hollingsworth he passed away in a car accident in 07 and Denise passes away last month. He went to the art shool in San Fran with minor white and taught by Ansel adams
0 Replies

donnajo

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 12:44 am
@Paula Clark,
I just recieved all 3 of the exact prints from a relative that you describe! Did you ever find anything out about them?
0 Replies

illeksneffets

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:03 pm
@ezrahh,
Ezrahh
I have 3 prints of his. 1 is of a dilapidated cabin. 1 of a farm house and 1 church. All are black ink and the trees are all leafless. His full name is William Robert Hollingsworth Jr. I hope this helps.
0 Replies

bahrjj

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 01:49 pm
@Paula Clark,
I have the two of the train station and the caboose. They were given to my dad in 1976.
kardinal

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 09:42 pm
@bahrjj,
Hi,
I have an original winter scene watercolor painting on paper signed robert hollingsworth. Wonder if that is the same Alabama artist? Here are some images.
http://s1195.beta.photobucket.com/user/sullata/media/2PLATE/JVC/rob/1_zpsadc863dd.jpg.html

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/sullata/2PLATE/JVC/rob/3_zps8a5ccc92.jpg.html

Any idea what it would worth nowadays?
thanks
0 Replies

heapahelp2

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 02:40 pm
@deannepitcher,
Dear deanneoitcher; I have a painting sighned Robert Hollingsworth and am trying to get information, a couple of years ago, I contacted an gallery and they asked for a number on the back and told me it was called English sparrows and needed to see it to authenticate it, but computer crashed and I lost information. Please email [email protected] for information Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 02:44 pm
@heapahelp2,
heapahelp2 wrote:

Dear deanneoitcher; I have a painting sighned Robert Hollingsworth and am trying to get information, a couple of years ago, I contacted an gallery and they asked for a number on the back and told me it was called English sparrows and needed to see it to authenticate it, but computer crashed and I lost information. Please email [email protected] for information Smile

The person you just addressed your post to hasn't been back to a2k since her first and only post here in 2008. Good luck getting a reply. Surprised
0 Replies

Barbara B

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:23 pm
@Paula Clark,
Paula: I have the same three pen-and-inks: caboose dated 1976, the Tuscaloosa train station has no date and the oil derrick is dated May 20, 1982. My husband received them from his father just before he died. I too was trying to find information on the artist. Barbara
0 Replies

Jodygurl

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 04:55 am
I also have a RH print. He was the art director of the Univ. Of Alabama. He had earlier been commissioned to produce 70 portraits of all the SGA Presidents of the University. The company selling the reproduction prints was RDB, LIMITED pob 9002 , palm springs CA 92263.
0 Replies

Doogle86

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:47 pm
@Cale,
I have a title the bear Artis Robert Hollingsworth print with certificate signed by publisher printer an artist an don't know what's it is worth could you help me possible
centrox

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:52 pm
A lot of three Robert Hollingsworth prints was auctioned in 2014 by Goodwill Of Southern Nevada and went for $9.95. Also an unframed one on Ebay for $25.00. Another framed one for $39.99.

0 Replies

onespiffymom

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 05:01 pm
@Doogle86,
I have one as well and would like to know the value. If you find out can the value of yours, would you let me know, please.
0 Replies