Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:25 pm
5:45pm: The Economist's Cairo correspondent says he believes Mubarak's days are numbered, and has some telling details:

I knew it was truly over when I came home to find a neighbour in a panic. He had smelled a fire nearby. We traced its source soon enough, after climbing to the roof of my building. Smoke drifted from the garden of the villa next door, where workers had recently been digging a peculiarly deep hole, as if for a swimming pool. In a far corner of the garden stood rows of cardboard boxes spilling over with freshly shredded paper, and next to them a smouldering fire.

More intriguingly, a group of ordinary looking young men sat on the lawn, next to the hole. More boxes surrounded them, and from these the men extracted, one by one, what looked like cassette tapes and compact discs. After carefully smashing each of these with hammers, they tossed them into the pit. Down at its bottom another man shovelled wet cement onto the broken bits of plastic. More boxes kept appearing, and their labours continued all afternoon.

The villa, surrounded by high walls, is always silent. Cars, mostly unobtrusive Fiats and Ladas, slip in and out of its automatic security gates at odd hours, and fluorescent light peeps through shuttered windows late in the night. This happens to be an unmarked branch office of one of the Mubarak regime's top security agencies. It seems that someone had given the order to destroy their records. Whatever secrets were on those tapes and in those papers are now gone forever.

The piece concludes: "Perhaps I am still wrong, and it is not completely over. Maybe another battle will be needed, soon, before [Mubarak] falls for good."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:28 pm
There's been a question for days about the actions of the military. It seems that they are not interested in squashing the revolt.

According to Reuters:

[The army's statement] said "freedom of expression" was guaranteed to all citizens using peaceful means.

It was the first such explicit confirmation by the army that it would not fire at demonstrators who have taken to the streets of Egypt since last week to try to force Mubarak to quit.

"The presence of the army in the streets is for your sake and to ensure your safety and wellbeing. The armed forces will not resort to use of force against our great people," the army statement said.

"Your armed forces, who are aware of the legitimacy of your demands and are keen to assume their responsibility in protecting the nation and the citizens, affirms that freedom of expression through peaceful means is guaranteed to everybody."

It urged people not resort to acts of sabotage that violate security and destroy public and private property. It warned that it would not allow outlaws and to loot, attack and "terrorise citizens".
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:40 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

There's been a question for days about the actions of the military. It seems that they are not interested in squashing the revolt.

The police were widely and justifiably despised by the protesters. When the military came in to replace the police they were welcomed.
When Mubarak rearranged the deck chairs in his cabinet he brought in Omar Suleiman as VP and Ahmed Shafik as PM. Both have military backgrounds which struck me as odd, but on reflection it makes sense.
The military can serve as a bridge between a Mubarak-less leadership until regularly scheduled for September with perhaps a special election for Parliament earlier.
The US, by the way, provides something like $1.5Bn in aid to Egypt, most of which goes to the military. The notion of using aid as a club to urge the removal Mubarak is being warned against by some.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The US, by the way, provides something like $1.5Bn in aid to Egypt, most of which goes to the military. The notion of using aid as a club to urge the removal Mubarak is being warned against by some.
I am not sure they care...there are about a Dozen people in Egypt who are pro peace with Israel, and most of them will be gone soon. US aid to Egypt is going to end no matter what the military does. The US is issuing strong warnings, but I assume that they are going in one ear and out the other.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
ticians like stability. Bankers like stability. But the "stability" we have so long embraced in the Arab world wasn't really stability. It was repression. The benign dictators we have supported, or anyway tolerated—the Zine al-Abidine Ben Alis, the Hosni Mubaraks, the various kings and princes—have stayed in power by preventing economic development, clamping down on free speech, keeping tight control of education, and above all by stamping down hard on anything resembling civil society. Every year, more books are translated into Greek—a language spoken by 11 million people—than into Arabic, a language spoken by more than 220 million. Independent organizations of all kinds, from political parties and private businesses to women's groups and academic societies have been watched, harassed, or banned altogether.

The result: Egypt, like many Arab societies, has a wealthy and well-armed elite at the top and a fanatical and well-organized Islamic fundamentalist movement at the bottom.
http://www.slate.com/id/2283108/

This is the first step, understanding what we have done in the Middle East and in some other places such as Africa, taking ownership of our efforts to shackle liberty. Next step is to understand that we have done this to ourselves as well. We have hollowed out liberty in America as we have craved stability and the illusion of safety.

It is morning in America, time to wake up, smell the coffee, and put back together the home that we tore apart in our drunken foolishness.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
By Jennifer Rubin
Egypt isn't hopeless, but I fear this administration's approach is. After plenty of good advice over the weekend, a meeting today with outside experts (although the two ablest and most frank invitees could not attend) and appropriate calls for Obama to "seize the moment," the White House appears to have fallen back into nonsensical blather on Egypt and decided against exercising any real influence (such as it is).

Robert Gibbs hid behind a fog of words at the afternoon briefing. "It is not up to us to determine when the grievances of the Egyptian people have been met by the Egyptian government," he said. And on it went into timidity:

"I'm not going to get into a series of hypotheticals," Gibbs says when asked about a government transition. "There have to be meaningful negotiations with a broad cross-section of the Egyptian people, including opposition groups, that go to answering the very core of the freedoms the people desire."

Gibbs sidesteps another question about whether Egypt's president, Hosni Mubarak, should run in an election. "The United States government does not determine who is on the ballot," he says. "The question is whether those elections are going to be free and fair."

Gibbs is asked to define an "orderly transition" in Egypt, as specified by the White House. He says it's about "actions," not "appointments," and that there should be free elections and constitutional changes that allow for a "more open and democratic process."

I exchanged e-mails with an attendee at this morning's meeting. I asked, "Did you get the sense they realize they are behind the curve?" The attendee said yes. But perhaps that was just for show, in a vain attempt to clamp down on the storm of bipartisan criticism. Today, we see more of the same deer-in-the-headlights behavior from the administration.

Hosni Mubarak won't survive this revolution, but neither will Obama's standing in the region. He may be consumed with domestic issues and/or paralyzed by fear of embodying the left's "imperialist" bogeyman. But he is missing the point and the moment. All he need do is make clear that we, like the Egyptian people, have lost confidence in the aging dictator. Our aid should be suspended, we should call for free elections, and there should be no doubt as to whose side we are on. But that's not Obama's style, it seems. And so, we are now identified with a decrepit despot instead of with the democratic aspirations of the Egyptian people. Some "Muslim Outreach,"huh
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-turn/2011/01/hopeless_on_egypt.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

We are all shocked that Obama refuses to man-up, right?
Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:41 pm
@JPB,
I'd like to know....who is making the decisions and issuing statements for the army.

THIS is the guy to watch.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
From the side lines:
Quote:
Monday, January 31, 2011
Israeli minister urges Egypt to use force
Press TV- An Israeli minister says Egyptian government forces will have to exercise force to rein in public protests as the African country is teetering on the brink of a Tunisia-style revolution.

Inspired by the recent popular revolution in Tunisia, which resulted in the historic overthrow of the country's President Zine El Abidin Ben Ali, Egyptians have staged similar anti-government protests since Tuesday, calling on President Hosni Mubarak to relinquish power after three decades in office.

Meanwhile, an Israeli cabinet minister who spoke on condition of anonymity to Israeli media stated on Thursday that the Egyptian president backed by a strong militarily prowess will eventually subdue the crisis, The Washington Post reported.

"His regime is well-rooted in the military and security apparatus," said the Israeli minister, adding that, "They will have to exercise force, power in the street and do it. But they are strong enough according to my assessment to overcome it."

Egypt, which is widely regarded as the first Arab country to seal peace agreement with Israel three decades ago, remains one of Tel Aviv's most important allies.

On Thursday, Israel's Deputy Prime Minister Silvan Shalom told reporters that Tel Aviv is closely watching the still-unfolding situation in Egypt, and does not see a threat in its ties with the African nation. Read more
at 1/31/2011 10:30:00 AM
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I thought the majority of lefties here were against interfering in another countries internal affairs, especially by the USA ?
Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:47 pm
I think they will get rid of Mubarak, pause, take a deep breath and then say " now what ?" That will be when the situation is most dangerous...when they lose their unity.
Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
This kind of thinking pisses me off. The US is meddling when we make others' internal business OUR business...and when we don't...or are perceived not to (hey, why did America tolerate Mubarak?), we've neglected our responsibility. We didn't PLACE Mubarak, nor is Egyptian internal affairs our concern, unless people start getting mowed down...

Sending the finger to Slate and the rest of the world.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:50 pm
@Lash,
It's a bad habit the US picked up many decades ago when we believed we were the police for the whole world. Our government still doesn't realize we represent only five percent of the world population, and we do not have the resource or manpower to be the world's p0lice. Simple stupidity!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:51 pm
@Lash,
I don't know, Lash, but I would say Omar Suleiman.
Here in the states, the Republicans are quiet as Obama and leaders of other countries walk a tightrope.
Rush Limbaugh, meanwhile, snarls about Pharaoh Obama.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:52 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I thought the majority of lefties here were against interfering in another countries internal affairs, especially by the USA ?
IDK, I am a leftist but I am a radical leftist....I dont agree with garden variety leftists a great deal of the time.

I think that Americans of all stripes generally want America to be on the winning side, and when possible the side that has the greatest claim of being morally superior. Plus, citizens of the middle East will not soon forget our selling out of the Kurds. It is not only are support of dictators and Israel that causes America's credibility problem in the region.

The right call here was obvious, and Obama blew it. He did not need to do anything except be for liberty. Even if he comes around tomorrow it will be too late
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:53 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I think they will get rid of Mubarak, pause, take a deep breath and then say " now what ?" That will be when the situation is most dangerous...when they lose their unity.
Only if the military does not do their job, they need to be a caretaker government for a year or two.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
"The presence of the army in the streets is for your sake and to ensure your safety and wellbeing. The armed forces will not resort to use of force against our great people," the army statement said.

"Your armed forces, who are aware of the legitimacy of your demands and are keen to assume their responsibility in protecting the nation and the citizens, affirms that freedom of expression through peaceful means is guaranteed to everybody."

The statement was read on state television by army spokesman Ismail Etman, who said the military "has not and will not use force against the public".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:11 pm
11:15pm: A first: a US Senator calls on Mubarak to resign. Bill Nelson, the Democratic senator for Florida, has a comment piece in The Hill newspaper in Washington DC:

Mr Mubarak will have to go – but not without an exit strategy that prevents the government from falling and leaving the door open for extremists.

Full report
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You need to seek help over this obsession you have with Sarah Palin.

Perhaps, but it's so thought provoking to think of her in an actual position of responsibility.

Thought provoking and scary.

There are actually people who think she should be president, you know?

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:09 pm
@Setanta,
I now think you’re right on the importance of the military in the outcome in Egypt, Setanta.

Without the army’s “blessing”, or endorsement of the popular protests, Mubarak would still be entertaining illusions that he could hold onto power.

Also the endorsement of the army will no doubt further empower the protesters. I’d imagine there will be a lot more people on the streets on Tuesday (at the planned mass rally) demanding Mubarak stand down, than there would have been if military intervention was a real possibility ...

I was wondering about the army’s motives for “changing sides” from Mubrark to the anti-government movement.
I thought it might be a pragmatic response to the protests, an endorsement that change was inevitable, aligning themselves with the people for its own ends.

You might well be right on this, too. :
Quote:

I think it most likely that the military, if they dump Mubarak, will simply replace him with another military man.

But what about ElBaradei, as the possible next leader? He seems to have been accepted by a variety of disparate protest groups as spokesperson for the movement. Possibly because he was the only potential leader who was considered acceptable to all groups. Of course, he’d need the army’s blessing if such a thing were to occur.

I think I’ve over-estimated the influence of the US in the equasion in my earlier posts. What has become increasingly clear over the past few days is that the nature of US influence in the region has changed dramatically, as a result of the popular uprisings. (In Egypt, especially.)

It is almost as if the US had been caught off-guard, changing its position from supporting “reforms” (which Mubarak's government might introduce) to now supporting an “orderly transition” to another government. (Though not yet “officially” fully endorsing the legitimacy of the protesters’ demands.)

In any case, it looks like US policy in the middle east (especially) is in for an major overhaul , in response to these recent developments. It will be interesting to see what those changes will be.
Interesting article on the subject, one of a number I’ve read recently. (rather surprisingly) this one’s from Newsweek:

Quote:
Egypt Protests Show American Foreign-Policy Folly:
While popular uprisings erupt across the Middle East, America stands on the sidelines. Stephen Kinzer on why the U.S. should abandon its self-defeating strategy in the region.:

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/28/egypt-protests-show-american-foreign-policy-folly.html
msolga

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:22 pm
It will be very interesting to see how events in Egypt will impact on Israel.
This article is was published by Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper:

Quote:

Egypt riots are an intelligence chief's nightmare

Western intelligence in general and Israeli intelligence in particular did not foresee the scope of change in Egypt, which may require a reorganization of the IDF.
By Amos Harel
Published 21:41 29.01.11
Latest update 21:41 29.01.11

The events of the last few days in Egypt – apparently the most important regional development since the Islamic revolution in Iran and the Egyptian-Israeli peace deal of 1979 – are also an expression of the decision-makers' nightmare, the planners and intelligence agents in Israel.

While in other countries many are watching with satisfaction at what looks to be possibly the imminent toppling of a regime that denied its citizens their basic rights, the Israeli point of view is completely different.

http://www.haaretz.com/polopoly_fs/1.340028.1296330170!/image/1451230794.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_295/1451230794.jpg
Protesters shout slogans during demonstrations in Cairo, January 29, 2011.
Photo by: Reuters

The collapse of the old regime in Cairo, if it takes place, will have a massive effect, mainly negative, on Israel's position in the region. In the long run, it could put the peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan in danger, the largest strategic assets after the support of the United States.

The changes could even lead to changes in the IDF and cast a dark cloud over the economy.

Western intelligence in general and Israeli intelligence in particular did not foresee the scope of change in Egypt (the eventual descriptor "revolution" will apparently have to wait a little longer). Likewise, almost all of the media analysis and academic experts got it wrong.

In the possible scenarios that Israeli intelligence envisioned, they admittedly posited 2011 as a year of possible regime change – with a lot question marks – in Egypt and Saudi Arabia, but a popular uprising like this was completely unexpected.

More than this, in his first appearance at a meeting last Wednesday of the Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee the new head of military intelligence Major General Aviv Kochavi said to member of Knesset, "There are currently no doubts about the stability of the regime in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood is not organized enough to take over, they haven't managed to consolidate their efforts in a significant direction."

If the Mubarak regime is toppled, the quiet coordination of security between Israel and Egypt will quickly be negatively affected. It will affect relations between Cairo's relationship with the Hamas government in the Gaza Strip, it will harm the international forces stationed in Sinai.

It will mean the refusal of Egypt to continue to allow the movement of Israeli ships carrying missiles through the Suez canal, which was permitted for the last two years, according to reports in the foreign press, in order to combat weapons smuggling from Sudan to Gaza. In the long run, Egypt's already-cold peace treaty with Israel will get even colder.

From the perspective of the IDF, the events are going to demand a complete reorganization. For the last 20 years, the IDF has not included a serious threat from Egypt in its operational plan. ...<cont>

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/egypt-riots-are-an-intelligence-chief-s-nightmare-1.340027
0 Replies