Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 05:58 pm
This is a video that will show things that will not be shown in church or in the local pub but I do think that Spendius may Like the music but who knows I could be proven wrong and I am Ok with that!

http://www.youtube.com/user/91177info#p/u/5/zLw3qz_zuWk
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
The shoes in the ad looked sexy rl. Are you English?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:24 pm
@spendius,
Sorry Spendius I have heard about the shoes and the gay thing but I am happily married!

I did catch the last remark you made about feminist! I do have a question for you though would this sound less feminist?

I could only guess that I really, really have more. "than you could ever dream of losing Spendius!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:41 pm
CI was wrong, our happy spammer is still spamming away....
roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have reported him, I suppose. This isn't a free speech issue.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:51 pm
@roger,
commerical promos are not allowed on a2k. I have reported many of his spam to admin.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
I only reported one time. Then I marked over 30 posts down.

Hey, I'm old and they told me I should get a hobby.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 04:37 am
@reasoning logic,
I've no idea what you mean. What do you guess you have more of than I could ever dream of losing? It isn't something I would ever say and I have never heard anybody else say such a thing. Perhaps I lead too cloistered an existence.

Enlighten me.
revelette

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:15 am
@spendius,
I'm curious spendius, if you feel that people are voyeuristic for discussing world events and politics..., why do you participate in threads created for just that purpose?
revelette

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:24 am
Authorise Libya air strikes, US urges UN

The US is pushing the UN to authorise not just a no-fly zone over Libya, but also the use of air strikes to stop the advance of forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi.

Washington's ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, said on Wednesday that a no-fly zone would have only a limited use, and that the Obama administration was working "very hard" to pass a new resolution, which would authorise the use of aerial bombing of Libyan tanks and heavy artillery.

The UN security council is planning to vote on the resolution late on Thursday.

After a day of intensive negotiation in New York, Rice told reporters: "We need to be prepared to contemplate steps that include, but perhaps go beyond, a no-fly zone at this point, as the situation on the ground has evolved, and as a no-fly zone has inherent limitations in terms of protection of civilians at immediate risk."

The draft, supported by the US, Britain, France and Germany, reflects a significant shift by Washington, alarmed by the speed at which the uprising is collapsing and concerned at the possibility of a massacre in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

Until this week, the US had been totally opposed to becoming involved militarily in Libya.

"We are interested in a broad range of actions that will effectively protect civilians and increase the pressure on the Gaddafi regime to halt the killing and to allow the Libyan people to express themselves in their aspirations for the future freely and peacefully," Rice said.

A diplomat on the security council told the Associated Press that Rice said the goal should be expanded from creating a no-fly zone to protecting civilians. To do this, the international community must have all the necessary tools – including authorisation to use planes, troops or ships to stop attacks by Gaddafi's air, land and sea forces.

The US, still fighting in both Iraq and Afghanistan, is deeply reluctant to be drawn into conflict in another Muslim country, and remains opposed to putting American troops on the ground to create "safe havens".

"The United States is pretty busy with two wars, and we don't want a third," a senior official told the New York Times.

Washington is insisting that any military action would have to be authorised by the security council and be carried out by an international coalition, including Arab states.

Barack Obama has been cautious over calls for a no-fly zone, which the Pentagon has described as a step tantamount to war.

But the secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, told reporters that the turning point was the Arab League's support over the weekend for a no-fly zone over Libya.

"That was an extraordinary statement," Clinton said, noting that Arab nations were asking the UN security council to take action "against one of their own".

ibya's deputy UN ambassador, Ibrahim Dabbashi, who supports the opposition, said five Arab countries have offered support, and told reporters he expects a no-fly resolution to be adopted, with a provision that will also allow air strikes.

Whether the security council does take action and authorises "all necessary measures" to protect civilians remains to be seen.

A vote has been pencilled in for Thursday afternoon, although schedules have a tendency to slip at the UN. Russia and China, which both have a veto on the 15-member security council, could yet block it.

China's UN ambassador, Li Baodong, the current council president, told reporters "we hope we will have real progress tomorrow".

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:28 am
@revelette,
I'm as voyeuristic as the most people. I follow these dramatic events keenly.

I participate in the discussions about them to give my point of view and I don't think I have made one wrong move on this thread.

I think those who encouraged the rebels were fools. To the extent they inflamed them to bite off more than they could chew they are partially responsible for their fate. I wasn't discouraging to the rebels because I disagreed with them. I thought they were impractical and would lose and pay the price. The reporting has been a disgrace. Emma Hurd in a military helmet on the Benghazi road--how silly can they get?

Now the rebels are to be hung out to dry. I never thought we would help them.

And the Egyptian rebels are nowhere near their objectives.
McTag

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:47 am
@spendius,

In Iraq, dissidents were encouraged to rise up against Saddam, and we promised to help them.
They rose up, we didn't help them, and they got slaughtered/ brutally repressed.

In eastern Libya, dissidents rose up against Gaddafi, with no offers of help that I know of. And they said, "Help us, we're losing!"
But no-one helped them. Then they were slaughtered/ brutally repressed.

We're not doing this right.
revelette

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:48 am
@spendius,
Perhaps you are right in that some reporting has been foolish, I really don't watch a lot of news, mostly get mine from the internet. (watch a few talk show now and then, but that's not news)

Everyone is entitled to their point of view and I agree you haven't made a wrong move in that regard. I have been struck by your comments of voyeurism and it is to that which point I questioned.

I don't agree that independence and trying to escape a dictator is ever foolish, no matter how it turns out. Like you said in a previous post, this might not have a quick an end as we would like, but if they didn't start at all, they had no chance of meeting their goals of having a fair chance at prosperity.

As far as any outside intervention, it may come but it may come too late, or it may not because of Russia's veto. Qaddafi is offering carrots to Russia and China to hold off on any outside intervention.

Qaddafi offers Russia, China and India a stake in Libyan oil industry

Gaddafi cuts business ties with all Western states, except Germany

Just saw this and had to add it

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi warned he will join al-Qaeda if the West invades Libya
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 10:21 am
@McTag,
That's why I said that our history has caused us to be wrong on Libya. We can't tell people we will help them, then renege on it. That kills. The world community now witnesses the slaughter of people in Libya, and are paralyzed to do nothing for fear of.....(fill in your own blanks).
talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The Bush family made helping in the Middle East difficult as they promised the Kurds and never did. The wrecked whole stance of the US with self serving policies.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:52 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
The wrecked whole stance of the US with self serving policies.
Ya, some non-royal Arabs believed in us for about five minutes, then we threw them under the bus...
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:10 pm

Quote:
The U.N. Security Council moved closer to adopting a resolution that could authorize a no-fly zone over Libya, as concern grows for civilians caught in fighting between forces loyal to leader Moammar Gadhafi and rebel fighters.

Ambassadors and political experts have begun meeting to incorporate amendments and revisions to a draft resolution written by Lebanon, France and Britain that aims to establish a no-fly Zone requested by the Arab League.

France’s U.N. ambassador Gerard Araud told reporters he hopes for a vote by 2200 UTC (6 p.m. ET). His foreign minister, Alain Juppé, is due at the United Nations to press for swift adoption of the resolution.

source

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
@revelette,
It's about time!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:25 pm
If Qaddafi, please god no, takes back 'his' country, what's to stop the newly emancipated Egyptians and Tunisians from coming in from both sides to squeeze him like the pusmound pimple he is?

Joe(dunno, just askin' )Nation
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 02:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quite a lot actually Joe. Otherwise, human nature being what it is, they would have done it long ago and you would have been squeaking about us stopping them.
0 Replies