Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

JTT

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:13 pm
If memory serves me correctly, some top notch military have had their assess severely whupped and were sent packin' with their tails between their legs; that all happened not too long ago.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:21 pm
@Charles Norrie,
Quote:
The attack by the US on Libya in 1986 was entirely unprovoked.
You mean like the French sinking the Rainbow Warrior so the peace loving French people could continue their nuclear testing in the Pacific.....isnt the Atlantic good enough ? What about Lockerbie ? If that was a French plane I suppose the French would have surrendered to Libya and waited for the Britain and the USA to win the war for them . Bloody cheese eating surrender monkeys.....
JTT

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:23 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Bloody cheese eating surrender monkeys.....

How very original! The precise quality that one likes to see in a big W writer.
Ionus

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I may be dense, but you're a ******* bastard! I prefer dense any day.
Intelligent people can be persuaded . Talking to a dense brick wall is never going to end . Of course you prefer dense, you are dense .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:27 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
How very original!
You have the gall to bring originality into it ? You who could have every post replaced by a photocopied "I hate the USA" notice . Of course a terrorist supporter doesnt like democracy . You need to forgive the 101st for raping you and get on with life . You need to stop taking drugs and realise the 60's were in the 60's .
JTT

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 04:58 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
You need to forgive the 101st for raping you ...

Now if that don't beat all; another original line, in, what is it? two posts.

You really must be a top notch writer, ... silly! of course he is, he's a big W writer.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:06 pm
In watching the Sunday news shows, I noticed that the left leaning talking heads have a new favorite line when it comes to the rebellions in the Middle East and North Africa:

"It's not about the US."

Of course the line is always used during during long winded discussions about what the US should and should not be doing in the region. I've also noticed that although they deploy the line, they remain engaged in the discussion without simply repeating the line over and over again.

When it comes to any global event, whether it be war, natural catastrophe, or the triumph of liberty, as far as the US government is concerned, it certainly should be about the US.

For the French government, it's all about France, for the Chinese government, it's all about China and so on, and so on.

I don't expect to always agree with the government on what actions are in the best interests of my country, but I do expect it's members to only take actions that they believe are in the interests of our country.

If a government official or employee finds himself in position where he believes the correct moral action to take is contrary to the interest of his country, he should resign and explain his resignation as loudly and publicly as he can.

The same applies to private sector employees.

Obviously a morally correct action may appear to be contrary to a nation's interests in the short term and may actually advance them in the long run, but I don't believe we have a great number of oracles in the employ of our government, and so this rationale can easily be abused by the legions of the sanctimonious.

Ramsey Clarke under a full head of steam would be a perfect example.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:01 pm
@JTT,
Dont you ever get sick of screaming hysterically about how bad everyone is who has ever given you shelter ? Your compulsive/obsessive disorder was OK in the 60's when men were trying to have regrettable sex with you but no one believes your bullshit any more .

Your attitude that only you know and understand international politics and if only the world would recognise you as the truly great person you are then we would'nt have wars or conflict of any kind apart from what happened to the bong and who is hogging it, is not believed by anyone but you . We would all grow flowers and there would be plenty of oil and food and no one would starve ever.....

What happened to your plan to join Al Quada ?? Don't they accept anyone with sexually transmitted incurable disease ? Why arent you over in Libya agreeing with Qaddafi that it is all the fault of the USA ? You know what I heard ? That the Punic Wars were the fault of the USA and war crimes were committed but only by the side you don't support, whichever that is....

spendius

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
Newsnight reported tonight that the Grauniad newspaper published in 2007 and 8 articles written by a lobby group which had received £3 million from Gadaffian sources and which eulogised the the nutcase. At the time everybody in the pub knew of Gadaffi's nutcase status. Not the Grauniad though.

One man's liberalism is another man's neo-imperialism.

I know that leopards can't change their spots but just watch these buggers. They can do it to suit the direction of the wind.

spendius

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:08 pm
@spendius,
So much for Grauniad reports eh? Even rats would be ashamed of jumping ship at this speed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:45 pm
Quote:

UN worried over Libya access

http://english.aljazeera.net/mritems/Images/2011/2/28/2011228193225802140_20.jpg
The UN says 40,000 people fleeing Libya have have crossed the Tunisian border [Reuters]

The fragile security situation in and around the Libya capital of Tripoli has made it too dangerous for international aid agencies to assess the need for medicine, food and other supplies there, the United Nations has said.

"The major concerns are Tripoli and the west where access is extremely difficult because of the security situation," Valerie Amos, the UN humanitarian chief, told Al Jazeera on Monday.

"There are reports that between 600 and 2,000 people have already been killed in Tripoli. We don't know the absolute accurate number because we haven't got people there who are able to do assessments ... we've seen some horrific pictures of what is happening and we really want to be able to go in to help people in the time of need."

Amos also called on countries neighbouring Libya to keep their borders open so refugees can continue to flee.

As of Monday morning, an estimated 61,000 had fled into Egypt, 1,000 to Niger and 40,000 to Tunisia, according to the UN, which said there was concern about water and sanitation for the refugees.

Libya also borders Algeria, Niger, Chad and Sudan.

Red Cross teams

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has also called for immediate and safe access to western Libya.

ICRC teams entered the eastern side of the country including the country's second city Benghazi over the weekend, and are now supporting local doctors with medical care. Two thousand people were wounded there, according to the agency.

A similar ICRC team including surgeons and supplies was waiting on the western border in Tunisia.

"Right now, the situation is far too unstable and insecure to enable much-needed help to enter western parts of the country," Yves Daccord, the ICRC director-general, said.

"Health and aid workers must be allowed to do their jobs safely. Patients must not be attacked, and ambulances and hospitals must not be misused. It's a matter of life and death."

Thousands of foreigners have been evacuated from Libya since the unrest began, with ships and planes sent by countries including China India, the US, Turkey and many other European countries.

But many citizens of Iraq, Sudan, Somalia and other poor countries are stranded in the country as they lack the resources to escape, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres said.

"There are no planes and boats to evacuate people originating from war-torn or very poor countries," he said in a statement.

The few UN workers who were based in Tripoli left when it became unstable.

Amos said humanitarian work is proceeding smoothly along Libya's eastern border with Egypt, which is now controlled by government opponents, with eight agencies providing medical care, food and other critical aid.

Tunisians, to the northwest, have been providing refugees with shelter and food, Amos said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/2011228191419265337.html
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 07:07 pm
@Ionus,
Wow, original thought after original thought. I am so impressed by you, Ionus. Where can I buy your books, where might one be able to read your magazine articles, are you regularly in the Guardian or the NYT?
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 07:23 am
@JTT,
Tell me where you live and your name and I will send you some autographed copies . In the mean time, keep posing for the centrefold of "Over 60, Trans-sexual and Loving It" . You and the beer bottle was very tastefully done .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:42 am
A Libyan government spokeman has told Sky News, possibly others, that David Cameron is either ignorant or has a "hidden agenda" and that Britain should stop thinking "greedily about oil".

There's no hope of that. Maybe Libyan government spokesmen enjoy pissing into the wind.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
Quote:
Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, son of the besieged dictator, has been caught on a smart phone video whipping up a crowd of ‘police’ and other supporters last Saturday to massacre protesters (he asks them ‘do you need guns?’ They shout, ‘yes.’)

you tube at this source

(forgot how to leave a you tube video)

Quote:
Defiant Colonel Gaddafi has been branded 'delusional' after appearing on TV claiming that 'all my people love me'.

The wild-eyed dictator gave interviews to the world's media yesterday in a desperate bid to gain support for his doomed regime.

Shockingly, he laughed off the feared massacres of thousands of protesters who have demanded the under-fire leader step down.

'They love me. All my people are with me, they love me all. They will die to protect me, my people,' he told the BBC's Jeremy Bowen.

source

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 09:42 am
Chavez speaks out...

2:02pm GMT: Venezuela's Hugo Chavez has defended his friendship with Muammar Gaddafi, saying he is "not going to condemn from afar".

"Everybody is saying Gaddafi is a murderer," the Venezuelan president said of his country's ally.

"So Chavez has to say so too? I'm not convinced."

Chavez, no stranger to rhetoric, went on to accuse the US and much of Europe of "rubbing their hands over Libya's oil".

Quote:
The United States has said it is ready to invade Libya, and almost all of the European countries are condeming[sic] Libya. What do they want? They are rubbing their hands over Libya's oil. Of course, that is what interests them.

So why don't they condemn Israel for bombing Fallujah and killing children and women? This is done in public view and with evidence to back it up. Why don't they condemn Israel?

Who will condemn the United States for the more than 1m deaths in Iraq, in Afghanistan and throughout the world? Who will condemn the United States?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:02 am
@revelette,
Who wrote that ridiculous piece revelette?
revelette

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:25 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Who wrote that ridiculous piece revelette?

What ridiculous piece? Left two different pieces written by two people. One was an article put out by several media sources and the other is a link to a you tube video on informed comment by Juan Cole. What is ridiculous about either of them?

The same subject at another source:

Quote:
WASHINGTON--Libyran strongman Moammar Gadhafi, in an interview with ABC's Christiane Amanpour, the host of "This Week" is in a state of denial about the uprising in his country. "They love me. All my people with me. They love me all," Gadhafi told her.

He says it is not happening. An excerpt from their exchange:

COL. GADHAFI: No demonstrations at all in the streets.

MS. AMANPOUR: But --

COL. GADHAFI: They love me. All my people with me. They love me all.

MS. AMANPOUR: But if they do love you --

COL. GADHAFI: They will die to protect me, my people. No, no.

MS. AMANPOUR: If you say they do love you, then why are they capturing Benghazi and they say they're against you there. Why are they --

COL. GADHAFI: This is al-Qaida. This is al-Qaida. It is al- Qaida, not my people.

source

Another one:
Quote:

Gadhafi denies Libyans oppose him

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi appeared Monday either to not know that demonstrators in cities throughout Libya are calling for an end to his rule or not accept it, according to excerpts from the interview, which a U.S. official described as "delusional."

"No demonstration at all in the streets," he told ABC News and the BBC in a joint interview carried out at a restaurant in Tripoli, excerpts of which were posted on the BBC's website.

Told by the BBC's Jeremy Bowen that he had seen demonstrators in the streets that morning, Gadhafi asked, "Are they supporting us?"

Gadhafi, wearing sunglasses and clad in brown tribal clothing, refused to accept the reporter's assertion that they were not. "No. No one against us. Against me for what?"

He repeated his assertion that he is not president, but one of the people. "They love me, all my people with me, they love me all. They will die to protect me, my people. No, no."

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
3:59pm: On Comment is free, Muhammad min Libya, a pseudonymous blogger from Tripoli, argues against foreign intervention in Libya.

Don't get me wrong. I, like most Libyans, believe that imposing a no-fly zone would be a good way to deal the regime a hard blow on many levels; it would cut the route of the mercenary convoys summoned from Africa, it would prevent Gaddafi from smuggling money and other assets, and most importantly it would stop the regime from bombing weapons arsenals that many eyewitnesses have maintained contain chemical weapons; something that would unleash an unimaginable catastrophe, not to mention that his planes might actually carry such weapons.

Nevertheless, one thing seems to have united Libyans of all stripes; any military intervention on the ground by any foreign force would be met – as Mustafa Abud Al Jeleil, the former justice minister and head of the opposition-formed interim government, said – with fighting much harsher than what the mercenaries themselves have unleashed ...

So as the calls for foreign intervention grow, I'd like to send a message to western leaders: Obama, Cameron, Sarkozy. This is a priceless opportunity that has fallen into your laps, it's a chance for you to improve your image in the eyes of Arabs and Muslims. Don't mess it up. All your previous programmes to bring the east and the west closer have failed, and some of them have made things even worse. Don't start something you cannot finish, don't turn a people's pure revolution into some curse that will befall everyone.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:49 am
@revelette,
Quote:
which a U.S. official described as "delusional."

Remind you of anyone y'all know?