Revenue Bills originating in the Senate

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:14 am
I am a very big supporter of the FairTax. I was very happy to hear that the FairTax has been introduced in the 112th Congress as S 13, however, I have a question about the constitutionality of this.

Article 1, Section 7 states that "all bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."

How can the FairTax bill (S 13) be introduced (originate) in the Senate? Is it as simple as once the Senate passes S 13 it would merge with HR 25 (the FairTax bill in the House) and the House bill is the one that would be signed into law?

Thanks to anyone who can cure mycuriosity!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,923 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:09 am
@twgardner2,
The bill is , as I understand, not really an appropriation bill.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 09:33 am
@twgardner2,
I don't know anything about the FairTax Bill, but if it's a bill to levy taxes, it should originate in the house. This may be a procedural device whereby the senate and house bills would be reconciled in committee and then sent to the president under the house bill designation, thus maintaining the pretense that the bill originated in the house. Without knowing more about the bill or about congressional procedure, however, I can only guess.
0 Replies