H2O MAN

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:18 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/012411_nurahm_20110124_135528.jpg

An appeals court in Chicago ruled Monday that Rahm Emanuel doesn't meet the residency requirements to run for
mayor of Chicago and ordered his name be pulled off the ballot. The three judge panel voted 2-1 against Emanuel.

Rahm Emanuel doesn't meet the residency requirements to run for mayor of Chicago
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,523 • Replies: 15
No top replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:05 pm
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:19 am
Emanuel appeals to Supreme Court
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:36 am
Will be overtuned.
Joe(he will be elected)Nation
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:21 am
Why does dead fish need to cheat, is this what the radical left is all about?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
1) Apparently not dead
2) Never was a fish of any kind
3) cheating? This is Chicago politics. Are those in the rest of field cheating? No. They are doing their best to win the election. That's all. Just the regular push and shove of politics.
4) radical. Hardly. If you use a word for a situation for which it has little or no meaning, you loss the actual meaning of the word. Then, when you need the word, in this case, radical, you're inclined to use the next harsher word which really doest fit either. Then you start looking foolish.
5) He's a Democrat, so he's certainly to the left of you, but, if you look, you might find that he's to the right of a lot of people in that race.

Joe(so, none of that fits)Nation
PS Here's the overturning: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/politics/26rahm.html?emc=na
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:36 pm
Illinois Supreme Court Stops Printing of Chicago Mayoral Ballot
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:39 pm
The legal issue here is interesting. Many states & cities have unique eligibility requirements for candidates for office that are different from those that apply to voters. Same goes for the Feds as our president has to be born here, even though immigrant citizens can vote. Based on this it appears the Appellate court's ruling that Emanuel does not meet the eligibility requirements for mayor appears straightforward and beyond question. My impression from the news reports is that the appeal to the state supreme court will in part be based on the consistency (or lack of it) with previous appellate court rulings on the matter.

I suspect the prospect of former Senator Carol Mosely Braun running the City will mobilize the Chicago machine to do something about it, fast. In keeping with a long Chicago tradition it is better to have a competent, corrupt government than one that is merely corrupt. Emanuel (who was Clinton's former bag man) may bea crook, but he can be trusted to at least control the other crooks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Why does dead fish need to cheat,
is this what the radical left is all about?
It certainly IS !

That is the innermost essence of liberalism.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What's the difference between a dead fish Democrat and a dead duck Democrat?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 02:06 pm
@wmwcjr,
I dunno; one is less lucky ?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:48 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

What's the difference between a dead fish Democrat and a dead duck Democrat?

What?
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:07 pm
Duck! http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/us/politics/28chicago.html?_r=1&hp
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 11:10 pm
@H2O MAN,
Sorry. I was just trying to clown around a little bit. I'm not a Democrat. Well, I'm not a Republican either, although I'm married to one. I'm an apathetic independent (a political stance I recommend to no one). The expression "dead fish Democrat" tickled me; so, I immediately thought of "dead duck Democrat." Before I opened my mouth, I should have come up with my own line answering the question of what the difference is between a dead fish Democrat and a dead duck Democrat. Oh, well ... I guess I just made a *donkey* out of myself. (By the way, I noticed you received a "thumbs down" for a completely innocuous post; in other words, for no good reason from someone simply because he disagrees with your politics. It figures.)
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 08:14 am
Court Allows Emanuel on Ballot for Chicago Mayor

(probably not news, but anyway since I saw it wasn't posted...)
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 08:44 am
@revelette,
Posted last night, rev, it was met with stunned, sullen silence.
Cheers!
Joe(Still betting he wins)Nation
0 Replies