Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:35 pm
The more extreme people have to be to get attention,
the more extreme the world will be.

It it them, or is it us?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:48 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Has anyone considered that, like teh frog in the pan of water who's temperature is slowly increasing, we as Americans are becoming more used to, and dismissive of, the sight of troops/more police on the streets, in public places, etc....?

Sad but true!
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 03:44 am
The laws of average say that one day they must get it right .... hopefully just before the 2004 election? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 04:22 am
That attack was a terrible event and people are still
suffering from it.

It did have some positives. For a while it gave Americans a feeling of togetherness and a positive outlook for the spirtit of America. It also brought lots of good feeling from other countries.

It was a real boost for the Neocons who used it and used it. It made a President who would no doubt have been a one termer, into a hero. It rallied Americans behind two wars.

Perhaps these alerts are reminders?

The next attack will do the same as the last one?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:25 am
This whole thread just gets a big old eyeroll from me.

I am sure that the thousands of Americans that move into action when the terror alert changes are unphazed by the lack of understanding on the part of some members of A2K. I have said it before, but apparently it bears repeating.

When the alert system changes colors, it doesn't have a lot of effect on the average American. But it does have a drastic effect on homeland security. Anti-aircraft guns are mobilized, more police forces work extra hours and bring in extra people. Alert crews move to their alert stations and prepare themselves for the worse.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:36 am
Yep, it has more to do with First Responders than anyone else.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:29 pm
I just learned that Orange Alert costs an extra billion dollars a week.

I just don't know how to react to that.

Should that scare the hell out of me (along with everything else)?

Should I be mad? Glad? Indifferent? Concerned, yet still sedate?

Help me out with a reaction, anyone...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
Brand X wrote:
Yep, it has more to do with First Responders than anyone else.

As a volunteer paramedic with a suburban EMS provider, I have yet to see any of the suposed "millions of dollars" released for our use. I think Gov. owens is using the money to build a new house. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
PD, that's been discussed earlier in this thread.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:34 pm
My parents were at the local airport today, they didn't see it either.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
We have been "scheduled" for training on NBC decon techniques, etc.... since July of 2001, apparently. I ndon't anticipate this ever occurring. Several of us who have been in the military have become the "NBC" team by default. The (paid) fire departments that serve our districts have not received promised funding or training either. The situation was the same with the Fire Dept. I ran with in Baltimore County.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:10 pm
More stupidity from our government.:WH blurred

Like anyone doesn't know what the Whitehouse looks like! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:22 am
Ah, well, perhaps the next warning will strike electoral gold? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
I heard today that the U.S. is going to require sky marshals on certain international flights coming into the U.S. (flown by other nations' airlines).

Do we see a pattern emerging here? Keep the hype going, regardless of what is or isn't happening in the world. Why would terrorists try the only approach that the U.S. is putting so much effort into thwarting?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:42 pm
I for one am glad they are taking every precaution they can. It's far better to be safe than sorry. I am especially appreciative since in the very near future my son who lives in Europe will be flying to the states with his wife and child on a foreign airline.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:16 am
I hear the Administration is considering insisting that Transport-Marshalls travel on all trains and buses in case terrorists attempt to overpower the drivers and demand to be taken to public monuments like the White House. Should be good for a few votes from occupants of mental institutions? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:44 pm
As predicted earlier, the Administration-created terrorism alert caused much concern and distress over nothing.

Also, as predicted, the administration is now claiming to have scared their fictional terrorists away, proving how brilliant they are, for the benefit of voters. Rolling Eyes

I saved the world, the other day, from being invaded by evil aliens from outer space, by frightening them away. Unfortunately, I will never receive the proper credit for my great achievement, due to lack of access to the media and the Administration's publicity machine.
:wink:
0 Replies