CD-DVD DRIVE NOT READING DISC

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 02:19 am
Hi everyone, i'm using windows 7 Home basic on my laptop and here is my problem:
My CD/DVD drive used to read/autorun programs burnt on CDs before but stop working later on. I checked my Device manager and it's working properly. I tried to update the driver and it reported back that it's up to date. I tried "Find and fix problems" none was detected. everything seems to be fine but still the drive doesn't play or load CD content. For now it can load programs burnt on DVDs but i'm thinking it may stop working later on just like CDs. Any solution please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,569 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:26 am
@babsabu2001,
When you load a CD and then click on the drive, does it recognize the CD? Can you hear the drive searching when you initially load the CD? Have you recently installed/uninstalled any burning/playing software?

You could try uninstalling the channel to which the optical drive is connected under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (Device Manager). Reboot and let Windows reinstall it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
@babsabu2001,
Did you just start using W7 or were you using W7 when the drive was working normally? If this is a new install of W7, the driver might not be correct even though it is up to date. Can you play any CD content like a commercial music CD or is it just on burned CD's? Is the burned CD the right CD format (+R or -R) for your drive? It is possible your media is not quite the correct format for the drive, especially if it is an older drive.
0 Replies

jenmendoza143

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 01:57 am
@babsabu2001,
your drive is defective...or your sata power cable is loose...
0 Replies