Why not to buy an HP desktop

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2024 02:13 pm
If I had bought the more expensive model I might not be starting this thread. I bought a new one two days ago. First turned on it demanded an internet hookup before allowing the setup. It wanted to control my every move after that instead of simply letting me activate stuff and download Chrome. But my real complaints are these: When I put my thumbnail in and opened a file, instead of closing it back to thumbnail it opened a box of options. Without intending to I saved it to Office Word, a service I had no intention of paying for. It took all of my documents, including on thumbdrive and refuses access until I pay. I haven't found anything to reverse the mistake. My other complaint, it does not allow me to play my discs. I have to buy a disc player to do that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 332 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2024 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
What you're talking about sounds a lot more like Microsoft issues rather than HP.

Virtually every non-Apple computer sets up the way you're talking about. Just let it, and change everything later. If it really bothers you, write to the Department of Justice and tell them to get on the stick with an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. This isn't HP's (or Dell's, Acer's, etc.) doing.

As for your issue with Word, right-click on any of the files which you want to open with some other program. Choose open with and then select choose another app. Then select the program you want to use (may need to scroll a bit). When it asks if you want to set the other program as the default for opening your documents, say yes (this may be a box you need to check; I can't recall as it's been a bit since I did this). You may just be able to click a button that says Always. See if that fixes the issue.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2024 04:16 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for your input. I will go back and try some of that. It's not so bad that they seized the opportunity but they make it so you need to be an expert to fight it. My issue about the DVD player is that I have a Word on disc that I always load, but now there is no way to do it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2024 09:47 pm
I was so taken with the problems described earlier that I failed to note that I don't have a word processor. I have Microsoft Works 9 but will need to buy a disk player to install it. Well, shee-it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 02:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Libre office is totally free and offers quite a lot. Compatible with Microsoft's Word as well.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 07:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you, Walter. I am going to check it out today.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 07:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Libre office is totally free and offers quite a lot. Compatible with Microsoft's Word as well.

Google Docs as well is free and compatible with the DOCX format from Microsoft Word.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 07:50 am
What a nightmare - good luck, Edgar!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 08:13 am
@Mame,
It's all designed to control us and our finances.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 08:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks. Will check out both.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2024 10:13 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

What you're talking about sounds a lot more like Microsoft issues rather than HP.

Virtually every non-Apple computer sets up the way you're talking about. Just let it, and change everything later. If it really bothers you, write to the Department of Justice and tell them to get on the stick with an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. This isn't HP's (or Dell's, Acer's, etc.) doing.

As for your issue with Word, right-click on any of the files which you want to open with some other program. Choose open with and then select
choose another app
. Then select the
program you want to use (may need to scroll a bit). When it asks
if you want to set the other program as the default for opening your
documents, say yes (this may be a box you need to check; I can't
recall as it's been a bit since I did this). You may just be able to
click a button that says Always. See
if that fixes the issue.

Thanks. I installed one of the programs suggested to me here and had no trouble rescuing my current workpiece by following your advice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 10:33 pm
I almost installed Google Docs but ended going with the other one. When I started the process Google made me sign in, even though I was already signed in. After I did that a Google box recommended I give them my phone number to make us all trusting and safe. So I gave it to them, but gave a wrong number sequence and had to redo it. During this process I had to sign in more. Finally I went back to signing up for Docs. Again I was prompted to sign in. After I did so I was informed I had signed in too many times. I was cautioned to wait two hours before signing in again. So I went to Edge and changed my default browser to them and gave up on docs.
0 Replies