Windows Question...

Seizan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2024 10:29 pm
OK, not the window pane, but a Windows pain...

I have a small laptop I (wanted to) use for school. I mean, it's a great little machine with Win10. I bought it to use for PowerPoint presentations in the classes I teach in an Okinawan middle school. Has a 10" screen, 256GB drive, slim build, lightweight so I can just stick it in my bag for class, and go.

Worked great for ab out a month until it automatically downloaded an update that completely destroyed the HDMI output. No signal. This seems to be a common problem, and MS has not resolved it for years.

Many folks on many forums have discussed resolutions to the problem, many fixes, and more people complain that none of them seem to work. There are really simple fixes like check the cable, make sure the computer is plugged in properly, plug this unplug that, reboot, and such. Then there are the really complicated programming solutions that require being tech-savvy (which I am not).

There are 24 classrooms in my school, and each has a widescreen TV monitor with HDMI, or a whiteboard projector with HDMI input -- all of which worked with my laptop until the MS update. that means I tried it with all 24 HDMI cables (plus a few of my own cables) and none of them were the problem, so it is not a problem with a worn or loose cable.

OK, so now I use the laptop for just puttering around on the Net, and I get a pop-up offering free Win11. Seems legit, but...

Has anyone here actually downloaded this free Win11 setup?

Is it actually, really, totally free, and it is fully functional?

Is there some limitation, like I have to purchase the program after one year, or it works for only a month on a free trial basis, etc.?

And -- does Win11 resolve the HDMI problem?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 230 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2024 11:28 pm
On my old computer I tried to download 11. After that, it kept prompting me to install 11 but never actually installed it. The prompts were intrusive and often.
Seizan

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2024 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
The offer shows up on most Win10 and some Win7 machines, but I found that my computers do not meet required specs for installation of Win11 anyway. Unless I step up to a newer (and more expensive) model PC, I am limited to no higher than Win10 anyway.

Possible that you get the offer for the upgrade but your old PCs may not meet one or more of the specs, so Win11 never installs.
0 Replies