Lieberman to Retire

revelette

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:35 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Other than the last don't ask don't tell bill, he has disappointed democrats repeatedly on core issues since the drum beat to the Iraq war.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

The man disguised himself as a Democrat to hold office in a predominantly Democratic district. That he held to his Republican tainted principles was the undoing of him. My biggest complaint: He resisted the tide too long.

If you check his voting record, you'll find that he wasn't wearing a diguise at all - unless by "Democrat" you mean someone who always votes along partisan lines.

"Opposed the public option, supported the war in Iraq (he was on teevee yesterday saying Saddam threatened his neighbors and had WMDs), endorsed McCain, spoke at the GOP convention, joined the Republican caucus after that, switched back to the Dems after Obama was elected in order to keep his committee chairmanship.

It's always been all about him"
I don't care if his votes were more the Democrats' line than Republican. This quoted passage shows more than sufficient cause to want a Democrat to be elected to his seat.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Other than the last don't ask don't tell bill, he has disappointed democrats repeatedly on core issues since the drum beat to the Iraq war.

Obviously he didn't disappoint the Democrats in his state enough that he couldn't get re-elected without help from his party.

He disappointed left-wing Democrats.

Sorry, but you are not the totality of the party membership. If you were, why would Obama ever disappoint you?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Gosh,I thought your party had the Big Tent.

I guess that means you'll accept members of any race, ethnicity, sexual preference or religion as long as they tow the Progressive line.

You want a liberal to get his seat.

Fine, but you'll need to stipulate to all candidates that they shouldn't bother running unless they vote left, 100% of the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
I don't think it's too much to ask that a Democrat hold a Democrat's seat.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't think it's too much to ask that a Democrat hold a Democrat's seat.

No, but how do you define a "Democrat?"
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
I am aware that members of the two parties run through a broad spectrum of philosophies, though fundamentalists generally hang out with the Republicans and persons to the left mostly vote for Democrats. I rarely agree with the final results of the actions of both. But, Lieberman was clearly not accepted by most Democrats. The reasons have been pretty much touched upon in earlier posts. Since he was elected as an independant, we have every right to disown him.
JTT

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
No, but how do you define a "Democrat?"

A half ways decent Republican. A slightly less immoral Republican. A Republican that is less likely to engage in war crimes.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
He disappointed enough democrats that he did not win the democrat ticket in his home state. Endorsing John McCain for president and speaking at the 2008 republican national convention, he pretty much spit in the democrat party's face. I think the break up has been mutual.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Of course you have every right to disown him, and it's certainly in keeping with the tribalist nature of political identities.

I was quite happy to see Arlen Specter go (metaphorically) down in flames, and I wouldn't mind the same thing happening to Lisa Murkowski, but I would be hard pressed to suggest that thye voted more like Democrats than Republicans.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You don't slavishly stick with every Republican. I don't slavishly follow every Democrat. So it goes.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't remember too many democrats crying when Daschle and Gephardt resigned/retired too much.

As for as Specter, please, he has been a moderate for years. Murkowski probably earned a place on Palin's map of rifle sightings after beating tea party favorite Miller.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I don't remember too many democrats crying when Daschle and Gephardt resigned/retired too much.

Your point?

As for as Specter, please, he has been a moderate for years.

Your point? So has Libermann.

Murkowski probably earned a place on Palin's map of rifle sightings after beating tea party favorite Miller.

You mean surveyor symbols don't you?

revelette

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Your point?

My point was the same as yours when you brought up Specter and Murkowski.

Quote:

You said you didn't mind seeing Specter go down in the flames, my point was that he it is no big shakes for you as a conservative republican to be cavalier about Specter going down in flames since he has been on the fence forever anyway. In other words, no better than us.

Quote:
You mean surveyor symbols don't you?

no
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Quote:
Your point?

My point was the same as yours when you brought up Specter and Murkowski.

I don't think so, because my point in bringing up Specter and Murkowski was to indicate that while I was glad the one is gone and hope the other will soon follow, I'm wasn't trying to argue they weren't Republicans.

The more I think about it though, the more I realize Specter is a bad example.
He was whatever he thought he needed to be to get elected. Unlike Lieberman, he switched to the opposition party, and he lost his feeble attempt to reamin in the Senate under any circumstances.

Quote:

You said you didn't mind seeing Specter go down in the flames, my point was that he it is no big shakes for you as a conservative republican to be cavalier about Specter going down in flames since he has been on the fence forever anyway. In other words, no better than us.

I see, but again, I'm not suggesting you're wrong to be glad Lieberman is retiring, just to claim that he was a Republican in Democrat clothing.
0 Replies