The worlds first riddle!

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
Try:
TWELVE SOLDIERS
+/-0.5 hours will cover it, but you're moving in the wrong direction relative to your previous answer.

New problem for MOU:

Twelve pacificists had to get to a place twenty-five miles distant with the quickest possible dispatch, and all had to arrive at exactly the same time. They requisitioned the services of a man with a small car.
"I can do ten miles an hour," he said, "but I cannot carry more than four men at a time. At what rate can you walk?"
"All of us can do a steady three miles an hour," they replied.
"Very well," exclaimed the driver, "then I will go ahead with four men, drop them somewhere on the road to walk, then return and pick up four more (who will be somewhere on the road), drop them also, and return for the last four. So all you have to do is keep walking while you are on your feet, and I will do the rest."

They started at noon. What was the exact time that they all arrived together Question
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
PRISM
516 sq ft
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:55 am
ah damn....Smile Now I have to think, and I hate too much thinking...

Let's see....

He takes four and drives them for 13 miles, then he goes back 7 miles, and pick those that are exactly there....uff...my head already hurts Very Happy....
Then he goes 13 miles with them...leaves them on 19 mile mark, and comes back to 12 mile to pick last four...huh....I am confused Very Happy
So...then he goes another 13 miles with them and leaves them "home", and goes back 7 miles - oh, here they are, as well as those first four...while remaining four are....there? I am too confused at this moment, but I think they are Very Happy
So, he drove 53 miles, and since he drives 3 miles in 0.33 of an hour it means they arrived at 5.20

And I'll kill someone if I'm not correct Very Happy
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
5.28 Shocked Drunk Confused
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
5.20 man...it has to be or I will...I will.... Very Happy
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
5:28 Sad
5:20 Sad but closest

MOU had it right up to and including "So, he drove 53 miles." His calculation breaks down after that.

I'm glad MOU is in Hrvatska and nowhere near, um, uh, Nova Scotia. Yeah, that's where I am.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:01 pm
hm...it seems I forgot basic math Very Happy
He drives 10 miles per hour, or 1 mile per 6 minutes...
Therefore, it should be 5.18 I think, and not 5.16 try Razz
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:26 pm
Hi MOU! Long time no read. Very Happy

I make the answer 5:12pm by the way.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 08:30 pm
MOU gets it right and doesn't have to kill anybody (I lied about Nova Scotia).

Would Try or Adrian like to explain 5:16 or 5:12?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
Embarrassed

30% of 60 is 18 not 12....

The mighty Croat is indeed correct. Very Happy
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:04 pm
Try was looking for a simple formula. Here's the best I could do for the general case of N groups of people (N=3 for the problem that was posed).

Dw = Distance each person walks
Dd = Distance each person drives
Dt = Total distance to be covered
Rd = Rate while driving
Rw = Rate while walking
Tt = Total time elapsed
N = Number of people (groups)

Dw = 2(N-1)RwDt/[(2N-1)Rw+Rd]
Dd = Dt-Dw
Tt = (Dt/Rd)[(2N-1)Rd+Rw]/[(2N-1)Rw+Rd]

First person rides Dd, then walks Dw.
Second person walks Dw/(N-1), rides Dd, then walks Dw(N-2)/(N-1).
Third person walks 2Dw(N-1), rides Dd, then walks Dw(N-3)/(N-1).
etc.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:17 pm
"I was walking along the road at three and a half miles an hour," said Mr. Pipkins, "when the car dashed past me and only missed my by a few inches."
"Do you know at what speed it was going?" asked his friend.
"Well, from the moment it passed me to its disappearance round a corner I took nineteen steps and walking on reached that corner with two hundred and sixty-six steps more."
"Then, assuming that you walked, and the car ran, each at a uniform rate, we can easily work out the speed." Question

Weary Willie went up a certain hill at the rate of two miles per hour and came down at the rate of six miles per hour, so that it took him just four hours to make the double journey. How far was it to the top of the hill Question

A man set out at noon to walk from Appleminster to Boneyham, and a friend of his started at 1:20 P.M. on the same day to walk from Boneyham to Appleminster. They met on the road at 2:24 P.M., and each man reached his destination at exactly the same time. Can you say at what time they both arrived Question
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:27 am
Adrian has PM'd a correct answer to the speeding car problem. Very Happy
0 Replies

magnum

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:13 am
Weary Willie went up a certain hill at the rate of two miles per hour and came down at the rate of six miles per hour, so that it took him just four hours to make the double journey. How far was it to the top of the hill

distance is 6 miles
0 Replies

bizarre

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:59 am
A man set out at noon to walk from Appleminster to Boneyham, and a friend of his started at 1:20 P.M. on the same day to walk from Boneyham to Appleminster. They met on the road at 2:24 P.M., and each man reached his destination at exactly the same time. Can you say at what time they both arrived

Isn't this impossible to tell?? We don't know what speed they are walking at....... is it the same??
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:45 am
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
"Isn't this impossible to tell?? We don't know what speed they are walking at....... is it the same?? "

Their speeds are certainly not the same. However, they are constant. Also, after you've solved the problem, you still won't know their speeds or the distance.

One more thing: Watch out for Try - he's sneaky. It's the Boneyham guys who have the blue eyes. Wink
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
magnum
"distance is 6 miles " Smile
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
0 Replies