Would You Have Mercy If You Were the Judge?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
The man is going where he belongs. If he has influence to order more killing, it would be wise to monitor all of his outside communications very closely.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:14 pm
All of you have given such good answers. I appreciate it. JTT's comment really hit me. He is getting mercy - 12 years instead of life. In his case though, that probably means life.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:14 pm
He received 8 years, so the judge did show some mercy.
I think he does belong in prison. Why should he have been granted the privilege of being allowed to remain in the comfort of his home surrounded by his family? His age has not diminished the nature or severity of his crimes. They will take good care of him in jail, and I'm sure he will have a private cell and be separated from other inmates--so, in that sense, he will receive merciful treatment.
Quote:

'Sonny' Franzese, 93-year-old Colombo underboss, gets eight-year prison sentence
By John Marzulli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
January 14th 2011

Colombo underboss John (Sonny) Franzese could be out prison for his 100th birthday - with time off for good behavior.

The 93-year-old gangster was sentenced Friday to eight years for shaking down the Hustler and Penthouse strip joints and a Long Island pizzeria.

Federal Judge Brian Cogan said he was troubled by handing the mobster what could amount to a life sentence, but assistant U.S. Attorney Cristina Posa said that's exactly what the murderous mobster deserves.

"He has never held an honest job for a day in his life," Posa told the judge. "He's essentially lived as a parasite off the hard work of others by shaking them down."

The prosecutor said it was disturbing that Franzese is constantly referred to as a "legend" in films and newspaper articles.

"He is largely responsible for the glamorization of the Mafia over the past century. For him to die now as a criminal in jail is not an inappropriate response to the lifestyle he lived."

More than a half-century ago, Franzese cut a charismatic figure. sitting in the front row when Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. or Jimmy Roselli were in town.

He was a fearsome figure, too, having been kicked out of the Army during World War II due to homicidal tendencies.

Although he was never convicted of murder, Franzese told an informant he had participated in at least 60 gangland killings.

The informant taped Franzese instructing him on how to get rid of corpses: dismember the victim in a kiddie pool, then cook the bones in a microwave oven.

Three years ago when Franzese found out his son, John Jr., was an FBI informant, he thought about whacking his own flesh and blood, FBI agent Vincent D'Agostino said yesterday.

"He told [the informant] that there would come a time to call his son and [Franzese] gestured with his forefinger and thumb…indicating that they would kill him," D'Agostino said.

The son wasn't killed and went on to testify against Franzese last year, helping to convict him of racketeering and extortion charges.

Defense lawyer Richard Lind said his client's hearing aid wasn't working so it wasn't clear how much he took in.

When it was his turn to speak, Franzese grumbled: "What am I gonna say? I didn't get a fair...I never got a ruling in my favor."

Lind quickly covered the microphone mouthpiece with his hand and told the judge that Franzese had nothing to say.

Franzese's estranged wife Cristina, 75, who is feuding with his daughters and grandchildren, did not attend the sentencing.

"I'm going to die soon and Sonny's going to die soon so however he comes out of jail, he comes out," she said Friday.

"I'd fight for him till the day I die," she said. "I'm not happy with the sentence but I think Judge Cogan is a fair man because he tried to reduce the sentence."

Franzese, who looks 20 years younger than his age, is confined to a wheelchair and had several illnesses.

He could have gotten up to 15 years in prison.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/the_mob/2011/01/14/2011-01-14_sonny_franzese_93yearold_colombo_underboss_gets_eightyear_prison_sentence.html
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
"He has never held an honest job for a day in his life," Posa told the judge. "He's essentially lived as a parasite off the hard work of others by shaking them down."

This is the same for how many thousands of gang criminals around the world. Now far be it for me to say that a person can't live their whole life without working. If they want to and can pull it off, that's fine by me. But for criminals to be, as the prosecutor says, 'parasites', well society should draw the line.

What would make it difficult for investigators to determine whether income was legitimate or not? Can't the Rico statutes be used against criminals like this simply for racketeering?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:36 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

What's unmerciful about doing time for the crimes you have committed?

What's unmerciful? The lack of compassion for a sickly, old man.
Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:37 pm
@JTT,
Good one! The old guy won't live 12 more years.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:39 pm
@Miller,
Sickly young men aren't granted their freedom. The idea of jail is deprivation of freedom. It will likely cost the state a lot more to keep him in prison and treat his growing number of ailments, but considering the gross abuse he has heaped on others for an entire lifetime, that deprivation of freedom is important.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
Quote:
Federal Judge Brian Cogan said he was troubled by handing the mobster what could amount to a life sentence, but assistant U.S. Attorney Cristina Posa said that's exactly what the murderous mobster deserves.

The male Judge showed mercy, while the female, Ms Posa showed none. What will Ms Posa say on her death bed, as she prepares to meet the angel of death and lastly her creator? I'll bet she begs for mercy from a loving, merciful God.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
@Miller,
Me thinks you are too soft on the assholes of this world. Would you want him in your home? How about your neighbourhood?
This is a guy suspected of MURDERING 60 people.
Do you seriously think he showed mercy?
Again, nobody is advocating beating the guy just locking him away. That's why we have jails. They're not for saints.
This man is a scumbag of epic proportions and like most, I'm sure he's snubbed his nose at decent society his entire life. Now because he's old, we should let it slide.
He may be decrepit but he's not senile. He knows what he did. If I believed in a heaven or hell, I'd say let him meet his maker but I don't. He committed his sins on earth and here is where he should pay for his crimes.
I understand empathy but I think yours is misplaced.
Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:05 pm
@Ceili,
You have the right to your opinion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:06 pm
@Ceili,
I can't speak for Miller but I can speak for myself. I am a Christian. I believe that if God could save a wretch like me, if He could have compassion and mercy on me, then who am I to deny anyone compassion and mercy?

Yes, I believe a person should pay for their crimes. Even in the bible people suffered the consequences of their actions. However, it doesn't stop me from seeing a 93 year old man rotting away in prison as a sorrowful sight. His family is probably going to suffer more than anyone.
Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:08 pm
@Arella Mae,
Very true.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I can't speak for Miller but I can speak for myself. I am a Christian. I believe that if God could save a wretch like me, if He could have compassion and mercy on me, then who am I to deny anyone compassion and mercy?

Yes, I believe a person should pay for their crimes. Even in the bible people suffered the consequences of their actions. However, it doesn't stop me from seeing a 93 year old man rotting away in prison as a sorrowful sight. His family is probably going to suffer more than anyone.

I think it's safe to say his family are a bunch of scumbags too.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
@chai2,
I don't think it is safe to say that. We do not know that. His children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews? They are all scumbags? The Iceman's family had no clue what he did, absolutely none. His neighbors didn't know either. They thought he was a fine upstanding member of the community.

If you had a relative that murdered someone would that mean your whole family are scumbags?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
If I had such a man for a relative, regardless of how he always treated me, I would want to see him locked away.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
His family is probably going to suffer more than anyone.

Well, probably not the son who helped to convict him--particularly since his old man talked about having him killed.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:41 pm
@firefly,
Not in my wildest imagination could I ever comprehend how a parent could want to kill their child or a child kill their parent.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
If this were a XColombian cartel boss or a Vietnamezse gang boss, hed make sure that, should he be going to jail, the family(by marriage) of his son would be made to pay with his son being the last one to fall.

When I was working in Nigeria, family feuds among the Muslim tribes would be settled by elimanating entire familes.
No matter what happens, its far more civilized than what much of the rest of the world practices under thewir present moral codes.
(eg Muslim and Christian)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe I am influenced too much by the movies, but I would not trust this man in any respect.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
I am entitled to my opinion. I'd say your courts agreed with me. Yes, he a pathetic sight and perhaps he's sorrowful, most likely because he's going to jail, not for his crimes.. I noted he put the good people of his state through a trial, which cost them a pretty penny I'm sure.. It's not like he came clean and took responsibility for his crimes.
There was a man in Canada a few years ago living under an assumed name. He was found to be a nazi guard, amongst the worst, from what was reported. He gave himself a tattoo and came here as a Jewish survivor. Years later he was discovered and deported back to Germany where he could answer for his sins. He's in jail now or dead. No amount of tears and hang wringing could erase his horrible crimes. Did I feel sorry for him. Sure. But he did these terrible things.
He lived a great life, had kids, a good job and hid his past.
Should he have been retired to some cushy old folks home too?
How about Bernie Madoff. That piece of **** doomed how many people to lives of poverty. His own son killed himself cause he couldn't live with the guilt by association. He was old and now apparently has cancer, should we feel sorry for him too?
Where do you draw the line? Do the victims not deserve some retribution? He's run from the long arm of the law for years, and flaunted it. He's bragged about his crimes and he probably thought like you, that lady justice would feel sorry for him. She did, she didn't prosecute him till he was ready for death. So know, you can take comfort in knowing that your hard earned tax dollars will sustain him till he is 6 feet under. That's probably more that he would do for you and yours.
I'm not sure why I bother asking you questions, as you seem to ignore them and write one liners in response.
Why don't you write all about how he deserves your sympathy? Why if you were the prosecutor you'd look lightly on his crimes and snub your nose at the law, the victims and society in general.
I'd love to read it. I'll prepare the kleenex for the sob story.