unknown piece of art

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 03:55 am
I have two photos of a piece of art but I don't know the title, nor the author.

see here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G-mzBRgfSIvKLvjcO1pVxg?feat=directlink

I have tried to find any information but with no result. It's very important for me to get an answer. These are not good quality photos but it's all I have. Does anyone know anything about this piece? How should I search for the information?

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:51 am
@magdatokar,
Well, the artist is a photographer named Magda Tokar. She lives in Poland ). Why not try to contact her directly with the photos.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:06 am
@magdatokar,
Could you give us a bit more information?

Is the piece the whole installation -- everything in the top photo?

How large is it?

Where is it?

Is it stain or paint?

magdatokar

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:38 am
@boomerang,
The problem is that I have no information. It's a kind of homework that I have at classes of history of art. The teacher gave one photo (or a group of photos) of some art to each student and we have to find an answer. Each person has a different piece of art. We also have to find some more information about discovered artist and his art.
I'm not sure myself what is on a photo... the thing on the floor... is it a stain or glass or a photograph or painting? I think this homework is a bit senseless but still I have to deal with it.... or maybe I should go to my teacher and tell him that the photo is unreadable, maybe he could give me some advice.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:16 am
@magdatokar,
Contemporary minimalism is my weakest category, but I think that is what this falls into. You could do image searches using terms like: contemporary artist minimalist installation floor. It might fall under the category of trompe l'oeil, but that would bring up a lot of images. You could search under minimalist artists to see if you recognize the style. If that fails, go to your professor with these terms and ask if you are on the right track.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:07 am
Maybe you could narrow it down by telling us a bit about the class that gave you the assignment.
magdatokar

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:01 am
@boomerang,
This homework is not connected with the subject of our art classes. It's something that we have to prepare individually during the year. Anyway, I went to my teacher and told him about my problem. He gave me some advice - the piece of art on the floor is actually a photograph of this floor. He also told me about the book where I can probably (not for sure) find this photo -'Art Since 1900: Modernism, Antimodernism, Postmodernism' by Hal Foster. I study in Czech Republic so he told me the Czech title. I know only basics of Czech language. My native language is Polish but there is no translation in Polish for this book and it's not popular in my country.... so it's hard to get it and it's expensive. I will try to find it in Czech Republic. If anyone have this book I would be very grateful for any information – is there a photo I'm looking for and who is the author?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:08 am
@magdatokar,
Your english seems good. How about getting the book in english? It's still expensive for a student, but available on line at Amazon and Abesbooks.com It's about $32.00 used on Abe's. I assume you have already tried to find it though a library. Hal Foster is one of the authors, but Rosalind Krauss is also listed. Here is an image of the book:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hj4RFabeL.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:11 am
@magdatokar,
Hal Foster teaches at Princeton University. You can email him and ask him about the work. This is his public email:
[email protected]

magdatokar

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 04:28 pm
@Green Witch,
Thank you. I'll try to find this book in Czech library (there is no such book in libraries in my city in Poland), and I'll ask some Czech friends and my Polish teacher of history of art... maybe I'll find it. If I decided to buy it, I would choose the English version of course. But I would like to see this book first, to make sure that inside of it are information I'm looking for. I have spent a lot of time to find some information about it in the internet but with no bigger result.
magdatokar

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:50 am
@magdatokar,
I have found a friend of a friend who has this book and I had a chance to go through it. Finally, I have found my photo - the work is called "Photopath" (1969) and the author is Victor Burgin. Now I can prepare my report about this artist. I have found the book "Art since 1900" very interesting so I ordered it.
0 Replies