Do Atheists/Agnostics tend to view Christians as Hypocrites?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 12:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I like Pom. We have disagreed off and on for many years about this kind of thing. We don't represent each other.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:52 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

One more story before good night.

Several years ago, a friend of my daughter lived with us. I had to pick her up at the subway station at around 10 one evening. A woman approached me, with a child who looked to be in the 6 to 8 year old range, and asked whether I wanted to go to a "cool church."

I told her that if her church were cool, there would be no need to advertise it: people would come on their own. Then I told her that a conscientious and Christian mother would not drag her young child around the streets, accosting subway riders so late at night. A man laughed and several people applauded.

Again, that does not prove she was insincere. I felt sorry for the kid. And, yes, I was annoyed at being accosted. I've never been accosted by an atheist, which, put together with how many Christians proselytize may point to something.

At least, the Krishna Consciousness People seem to have given up.
Accosted? She was aggressive and challenging by asking you if you wanted to go to a cool church?
hingehead

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:01 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella, how would you feel if some asked you if you wanted to go to a cool mosque? At 10pm. On a subway station? Accosted isn't too harsh a word. If you are an atheist and someone asks you a question that assumes you have religion it's as 'uncomfortable' as having a dog person tell you how much they hate cats - when you love all animals. You know that sentiment is out there but it's not yours and there's no good way of telling that person they are an asshole.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:34 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We don't represent each other.

I know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:46 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Arella, how would you feel if some asked you if you wanted to go to a cool mosque? At 10pm. On a subway station? Accosted isn't too harsh a word. If you are an atheist and someone asks you a question that assumes you have religion it's as 'uncomfortable' as having a dog person tell you how much they hate cats - when you love all animals. You know that sentiment is out there but it's not yours and there's no good way of telling that person they are an asshole.
So, this person should have perhaps asked first, "Do you have religious beliefs and what are they so I'll know if I should invite you to church or not?" Merely inviting someone to church and it is called accosted? What if they had asked them for coffee and they don't like coffee? Would that mean they accosted them about coffee?

I would think a polite, "Thank you for your offer but I am not interested," would not only be the better response but definitely the more civil one. Who goes around and gets upset because someone asked them to a church? You say no thanks and go on with your life.

I understand there are people that have no religious beliefs, etc., and they have that right and I would never try to take that away from them. But seriously, making a mountain out of an invitation to a cool church?
JPB

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:55 am
@Arella Mae,
What you're missing is the concept of Christianity not espoused within the bible, but outside it. There are many instances of non-canonical texts that describe a Christianity (follower of Jesus as Christ) outside of Paul's concept of original sin and redeemer.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 10:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Merely inviting someone to church and it is called accosted?

No, you're either being willfully obtuse, or you're ignoring the context. Church, coffee . . . it doesn't matter. Approaching someone on a subway platform at that time of night constitutes accosting them. You're too defensive by half about any references to church.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:39 am
@Setanta,
I am not being willfully obtuse or ignoring the context. I do not understand why it is such a big deal. I say hi to nearly every person I run across and I get in conversations with a lot of them and this happens all times of the day or into the night because I make runs to the store sometimes. So, is what you are saying this: The time of day or night makes a difference and so does the fact it's about church?

I am being serious Setanta. It seems to me that what I would consider a minor irritation that should be shrugged off, kind of like an irritating salesman in a store, is not a minor irritation to someone else and I do not understand why and I am trying to understand it.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:40 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

What you're missing is the concept of Christianity not espoused within the bible, but outside it. There are many instances of non-canonical texts that describe a Christianity (follower of Jesus as Christ) outside of Paul's concept of original sin and redeemer.
Huh? He only asked if he wanted to go to a cool church. They didn't get into a big biblical debate about individual beliefs so I'm not understanding you here.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:44 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
So, is what you are saying this: The time of day or night makes a difference and so does the fact it's about church?

No, i'm not saying that, and a response such as this is why i say you must be willfully obtuse. I specifically said that the time of day and the location make a difference, but that it's about church doesn't matter. I'm also not saying that it's much more than an irritation--you were complaining about the use of the verb "to accost," and i was pointing out that it's appropriate for someone who approaches someone else on a subway platform at that time of night. And that encounter was considerably different than just smiling at someone and greeting them.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:47 am
@Setanta,
Okay, now that I understand and I don't disagree with you.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:56 am
I think what people find offensive (maybe too strong of a word) about this the given example of the subway station is that the woman came across as being friendly in a used car saleman type of manner. It wasn't a hey, how are you doing, the weather is somethin' fierce type of conversation, it was a sales call.
I've talked with complete strangers about religion or been invited to church before during a normal natural conversation. This woman came on like a condo sales person in a Mexican resort.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:57 am
@Ceili,
That would make a difference for sure.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:58 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

JPB wrote:

Huh? He only asked if he wanted to go to a cool church. They didn't get into a big biblical debate about individual beliefs so I'm not understanding you here.

I was commenting on your statement in the previous post.
Arella Mae wrote:
Of course, I told them there is no such thing as a Christian atheist. The definition of those two words oppose each other.

There is such a thing as a Christian atheist and they don't necessarily oppose each other at all.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 12:00 pm
@JPB,
Oh okay that makes more sense. LOL I was really puzzled. I still say there is no Christian Atheist. TO ME anyone that is a true Christian doesn't doubt there is a god at all. But, that's my perception of it. It was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 01:47 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I should tell you that, to me, nothing is more personal than spiritual beliefs. I think I would prefer to see a stranger's underwear rather than hear their spiritual autobiography.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Pom - can I use this for a favorite quote on my facebook profile page? Laughing Laughing
Spiritual autobiography and underwear - that's great Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 01:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Is this because she is chubby, thus likely to be a jesus freak? aka, fundamentalist?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh God (Jesus) whoever ....this thread is providing me with so much sanctimonious, twit -ified laughter.

Osso - can I use this quote on my facebook profile? Laughing Laughing Laughing

chubby, fundamentalist Jesus freaks - I love it.

And I can TYPE!!! It's the end of a long, hard, tiring day and my left hand is functional!!! I'm so happy (and sanctimonious and twitlike).

Yeah - and a Christian who won't sue people. (Is that being sanctimonious?)

I do have to admit to being a hypocrite on certain issues though - aren't we all? I don't know - maybe not.
hingehead

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 02:37 pm
@aidan,
Welcome back, Two Hands.
aidan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 03:03 pm
@hingehead,
Ah...thank you - it's such a relief! I was reading about radial head (radiohead- as I was calling it) fractures last night on the internet and it was freaking me out!! These people were like, 'Oh- I fractured my elbow a year ago and I STILL can't move it...'

And I just thought - 'No - I can't deal with that - a YEAR of no conditioning my naturally frizzy hair ?!!! No...

It's a MIRACLE! Thank you Jay-zus - thank you LORD!
0 Replies