Do Atheists/Agnostics tend to view Christians as Hypocrites?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hey, think what you want to.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:07 am
This thread was prompted by conversations I had with friends, relatives and coworkers about the lawsuit brought against me. I simply opened up with a woman is suing me now for a trip and fall that allegedly occurred in April. The uniform response was, "I bet she's a Jesus freak."
aidan

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:42 pm
interesting...this past sunday, i walked all the way up and down the cheddar gorge, which is the deepest gorge in england, made it safely down just as this incredible crescent moon had risen and i stepped up to take a picture of the moon and tripped over a pothole, fell and fractured the radial head of my left elbow.
it hurt at the time i did it but since i'm right handed and had told my supervisor i'd cover his classes so he could visit his grandchildren, i went to work the next day.

everyone, to a man and woman - advised me to submit a claim against the council as the pothole was a hazard and their responsibility, while i figured i should have been watching where i was going, and as i hadn't missed work, wouldn't be permanently disabled, etc... said,'no - i wouldn't do that.'
they were sure i would sue, saying, 'but you're american - how can you not sue?
christianity or jesus didn't enter into it.

my students are so funny though. they said they''d sue me if they had to look at my frizzy hair for four weeks. one guy said, 'I didn't know you were mixed - your african/caribbean roots are showing - your hair's ridiculously frizzy - what's going on?'

i said, 'it's hard to condition your hair with one hand.'
he said, 'so that's why you should sue - you could hire a personal carer to wash you hair with the money you'd get.'
I laughed-but i'm not suing. like i said - i should have put the camera away and watched where i was going,,,

and it;s already getting better - in the morning - i can almost forget it happened - weird- i can type two handed as usual- though it;s hard to brush and wash my hair and get dressed, andby the end of the day it's sore and i can't even press the caps key with my left hand-

do people really think christians sue more than non-christians?
is there any data to support this idea? where did your friends get this idea?
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:49 pm
@aidan,
You (generic) hear all kinds of things these days. I heard a completely new one yesterday. Someone calling themselves a Christian atheist. Go figure.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes I have heard "that sort of pronounciation".

It doesn't tell me anything about sincerity of the person's belief system.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:57 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
. The uniform response was, "I bet she's a Jesus freak."

You might want to consider what that says about the people you spend time with.

Hint: it's not good.
hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
Any idea what they were talking about, AM?
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:08 pm
@hingehead,
Actually, yes. I had quite a talk with them. Of course, I told them there is no such thing as a Christian atheist. The definition of those two words oppose each other. This is what they said: They have two bodies. One is flesh and one is spirit. The flesh body doubts there is a god and the spirit body doesn't doubt there is a god. I told them that is totally unbiblical but that did not seem to matter. It was quite a strange conversation.

I did ask them since they have two bodies if they pay double the taxes.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@plainoldme,
Really? Why would people jump to that conclusion? Much less uniformly?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:44 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

This thread was prompted by conversations I had with friends, relatives and coworkers about the lawsuit brought against me. I simply opened up with a woman is suing me now for a trip and fall that allegedly occurred in April. The uniform response was, "I bet she's a Jesus freak."

Your friends are quite like you.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:14 pm
@aidan,
My friends deeply distrust Christians. The statement is an expression of that distrust.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:15 pm
@ehBeth,
No, it doesn't tell you about the sincerity of their position but it tends to reveal how strident they are about their beliefs. It's the stridency that does it.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You might want to consider what that says about the people you spend time with.

Hint: it's not good.

In the last analysis, is your statement really different from their statements?

What if none of these people have ever had a good experience with people who stridently professed Christianity?

I should tell you that, to me, nothing is more personal than spiritual beliefs. I think I would prefer to see a stranger's underwear rather than hear their spiritual autobiography.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:20 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
No, it doesn't tell you about the sincerity of their position but it tends to reveal how strident they are about their beliefs. It's the stridency that does it.

It is sure a good thing that ole plainoldme isn't at all strident in her beliefs.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:25 pm
One more story before good night.

Several years ago, a friend of my daughter lived with us. I had to pick her up at the subway station at around 10 one evening. A woman approached me, with a child who looked to be in the 6 to 8 year old range, and asked whether I wanted to go to a "cool church."

I told her that if her church were cool, there would be no need to advertise it: people would come on their own. Then I told her that a conscientious and Christian mother would not drag her young child around the streets, accosting subway riders so late at night. A man laughed and several people applauded.

Again, that does not prove she was insincere. I felt sorry for the kid. And, yes, I was annoyed at being accosted. I've never been accosted by an atheist, which, put together with how many Christians proselytize may point to something.

At least, the Krishna Consciousness People seem to have given up.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:26 pm
I still don't get it. You jump, and your friends and co workers jump, to conclude that someone slipping and falling - or not slipping and falling and trying to sucker you - is very likely a jesus freak?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
It is not the slip and fall but the stench of fraud that made them conclude she was not just a Christian but a Jesus freak.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:31 pm
@plainoldme,
Why? Non jesus freaks never pull fraudulent lawsuits? Where have you been?
Not that I acquiesce that the person didn't fall. We don't know.
Is this because she is chubby, thus likely to be a jesus freak? aka, fundamentalist?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:08 pm
@ossobuco,
POM has a dark heart...plain and simple.

How and why life crushed her soul into a sad little lump of hatred is unknown.

I feel sorry for her.
BillRM

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:41 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
It is not the slip and fall but the stench of fraud that made them conclude she was not just a Christian but a Jesus freak.

I am an out and out atheist and I still see zero logic or commonsense in such a comment.

As a great thinker, Judge Judy often had said if it does not made sense, it is not true.

The likelihood of a group of people would ID someone as a likely Jesus freak as in your story is near zero even at an atheists convention.

Given the above Occam razor would indicate that you are trolling away.
0 Replies