How would you spend $50 billion?

jeff37

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
I just watched an interesting video. It's about the question which the biggest problems in the world are and especially which can be solved most effectively. If you had $50 billion which projects would you support?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 31
No top replies

north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm

I would build a hall of Humanity in every country of the world

which would have a representive shield of every country and peoples in the world all around the hall

as well a kiosk where ALL the history of ALL countries and peoples are accesible

and have teachers at all times present in every hall
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:19 pm

further ;

each country would be would have teachers indigious to their country , as well as teachers from the outside , a balance

from science to history

no race , religion or crede would be rejected , all are welcome in

this hall would be truely Humanity , as a whole based and free
snood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:41 pm
I'd get all the clean fuel industries started and running well, to get the country off of fossil fuels once and for all.
north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I'd get all the clean fuel industries started and running well, to get the country off of fossil fuels once and for all.

you do that by taxs though
snood

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:48 am
@north,
north wrote:

snood wrote:

you do that by taxs though

Yeah, we"could" do a lot of things with tax revenue that we ain't doin'. And this is just my answer to a hypothetical anyway...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:13 am
I would buy, lets see... a special, custom made, insured insurance...one to keep my own modest house, of course, with its half a dozen books and half a dozen gadgets, with half a dozen wants, here and there, for the rest of my life, God bless...and require also that the rest of the money would be properly spent, in half a dozen, truly needed, researches, for a, a half a dozen billion...
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:16 am
@jeff37,
The get-me-a-lot-of-hookers-and-cocaine project. $50 billion is a reasonable contribution to such a project. Very noble indeed.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:19 am
@north,
Hey North ! You sound like a big spender there...I think 50 Billion does n´t amount to 50 trillion... Wink
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:22 am
@Ding an Sich,
...maybe you just have this little secret project of yours in drying out the market in your own town, and make people behave... Cool
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:02 am

I 'd invest the $5O,OOO,OOO,OOO very conservatively
and apply some of its proceeds toward tearing down government
and exalting Individual freedom.
This woud take the form of funding the campaigns
of anti-communitarian candidates for public office.

Of course, the primary mission of the cash woud be
to making ME as filled with joy and surrounded by beauty as possible.

I have always been a very selfish man; I recommend that to EVERY citizen.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And I who used to think that you just needed to scale up a mountain or find yourself a cave to get there...do you go by car or by boat ? Need a hand ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
And I who used to think that you just needed to scale up a mountain
or find yourself a cave to get there...do you go by car or by boat ? Need a hand ?
That kind of stuff can be too dangerous or uncomfortable.
Its better to stay home n watch TV or read
and use fine restaurants; maybe use the most luxurious hotel that u can find in a good guide.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, that is a very social way of going for selfish...you would need a magic trick to convince people around you in a sustainable manner... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:08 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Possibly. Or I could simply buy all the hookers and cocaine I want. XD
And no I am not being serious at all. I do not know what this thread has to do with anything.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:07 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Possibly. Or I could simply buy all the hookers and cocaine I want. XD
And no I am not being serious at all.

Quote:
I do not know what this thread has to do with anything.

imagine the possibilities to improve Humanity
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:31 am
@jeff37,
jeff37 wrote:
I just watched an interesting video. It's about the question which the biggest problems in the world are and especially which can be solved most effectively. If you had $50 billion which projects would you support?

First, i'd hire people to identify the poorest school districts in the United States. Then, i'd set up modest trust funds in every state of the United States, with mandated conservative investment policies ("preservation of capital" as the goal). In each state, the trust fund would disburse 50% of after cost earnings of the fund to the poorest school districts, while the remained would be plowed back into the school districts. As capital accumulated, they would add school districts to their list, and the amount disbursed as a percentage would increase incrementally.

Fifty billion would provide hefty start up foundations, and it would be easy to get cheap or even free investment advice from people in the financial industry, since conservative, preservation of capital investment plans involve very few transactions. A well-set-up fund might go years without investment transactions. Keeping the foundations on a conservative investment plan would also avoid alarming Wall Street, which would eventually realize that the foundations would increasingly own the bulk of securities (with conservative investment plans, it would take about a century or a century and a half for the education foundations to own a majority share of conservative, low risk low yield investments).

When the system was up and running well in the U.S., excess income on the principle could be used to set up the system in other countries.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:35 am

look , I could spend 50 billion , actually 100 trillion $ in an hour , no problem

space programs and all thats related to them
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

jeff37 wrote:

First, i'd hire people to identify the poorest school districts in the United States. Then, i'd set up modest trust funds in every state of the United States, with mandated conservative investment policies ("preservation of capital" as the goal). In each state, the trust fund would disburse 50% of after cost earnings of the fund to the poorest school districts, while the remained would be plowed back into the school districts. As capital accumulated, they would add school districts to their list, and the amount disbursed as a percentage would increase incrementally.

Fifty billion would provide hefty start up foundations, and it would be easy to get cheap or even free investment advice from people in the financial industry, since conservative, preservation of capital investment plans involve very few transactions. A well-set-up fund might go years without investment transactions. Keeping the foundations on a conservative investment plan would also avoid alarming Wall Street, which would eventually realize that the foundations would increasingly own the bulk of securities (with conservative investment plans, it would take about a century or a century and a half for the education foundations to own a majority share of conservative, low risk low yield investments).

When the system was up and running well in the U.S., excess income on the principle could be used to set up the system in other countries.

conservative , BORING people

space program , mining , mining , mining

knock , knock , who's there , HELLO

get with it people

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:50 am
Yeah, like i give a rat's ass whether or not you're bored. The point is to do the most good. Why don't you join your buddy Sich und Drang and find some hookers and some coke. Neither one of you will be around for very long to plague the rest of us.