Does reading make us wiser?

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:10 pm
I believe we can read how wise we are not more...
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Another catchy answer would be:
No, but it tell a lot about how wise we are by the choices we make on what to read.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
When our kids were young, I used to tell them it was okay to buy and read comic books.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:13 am
@spidergal,
Depends on the person that what kind of books he/she is reading.
Setanta

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:30 am
@selectmytutor,
Your English is terrible. Are you aware that this thread was started more than five years ago?
0 Replies

ssehx123

Thu 28 Apr, 2016 03:53 am
@spidergal,
I think that being well-read can make us know more about this world.
And I think SuShi,a chinese people,who lived in Song dynasty is well-read
cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Apr, 2016 01:39 pm
@ssehx123,
I now know where the Japanese rice ball with fish food name came from. Thank you!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 2 May, 2016 05:48 am
Not only the idea that reading makes us wiser is linear and bluntly false as it can be said that when lacking in intelectual competence reading can makes us more confused...

...that said, reading can be helpful for those who can take something personal out of it.
north

Sat 21 May, 2016 08:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Not only the idea that reading makes us wiser is linear and bluntly false as it can be said that when lacking in intelectual competence reading can makes us more confused...

...that said, reading can be helpful for those who can take something personal out of it.

Sure reading can be confusing; or cause more confusion ; so read more on the topic; eventually it will become less confusing ; and then ask questions to help clear up some confusions.

Reading is what gives us depth . Reading as in a book ; not Internet reading.

To be informed is better than having no idea at all.

And I read magazines just for its exposure to new ideas and thoughts on any topic.
0 Replies

nikolw

Wed 25 May, 2016 12:01 am
@spidergal,
Of course reading make as wiser. When you read your fantasy works, you learn new words and many more advantages. Definitely matters what kind of book you read. A Cosmo doesn't count.
Hanerykroze

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 03:23 am
@spidergal,
Depends what person reads
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:31 am
@nikolw,
I disagree. When our kids were young, I used to take them to a book store, and told them they were welcome to buy any books including comic books. They both became avid readers, and did well in school. He graduated summa cum laude.
BTW, our son is now the supervisor at the reference library at the University of Texas in Austin. His spare bedroom is full of books.
0 Replies

jacklinjot

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:38 am
@spidergal,
It depends what you read
0 Replies

Greys0n

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 03:10 am
@spidergal,
A well read person trains his/her mind to think, thus exercising the mind, which keeps it active. An active mind grasps new information fast, and keeps a person active physically and mentally at all times. Being well read gives you confidence at social gatherings as you would be sure of not being stuck talking, even about a simple topic like the weather, unless something tremendous happened to it recently. Being up-to-date in current affairs helps you keep your head high at social gatherings.
0 Replies

pass4suretest

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 03:39 am
off course reading make us more wiser
fresco

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 11:21 am
@pass4suretest,
....and off piste skiing make us more soberer !
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:11 am
@spidergal,
If wisdom is good -- and it is -- then anything that leads us there is good. Now reading does sometimes and at other times not. The question for me would be, How do I know WHAT to read, assuming I do choose to read.
0 Replies

whitee16

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 04:10 am
@spidergal,
Reading does significantly expand your vocabulary in ways that you may not notice right away. It exposes you to and lets you uncover the context of the words that you’ve probably never heard of before.
mark noble

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 10:18 am
@whitee16,
So does falling off a cliff.
This act, generally, involves pain - Thus one quickly learns not to do it.
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:08 pm
@mark noble,
The one I heard early in my life concerned touching a hot stove.