Does reading make us wiser?

seashell

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 08:38 pm
@spidergal,
The advantages of being well read is that an individual becomes aware of information which he/she would otherwise not be knowledgeable of. The results of this newly gained information are manifold-a powerful aid in understanding concepts and differing points of view, the provision of more tools to help make decisions, and the satisfaction of feeling one has made an effort to better understand this complex world we live in. Whom one would consider to be well read is probably based on a subjective point of view. I have generally considered people to be well read if they are able to discuss a wide range of subjects and have retained lots of detailed information about these subjects as a direct result of what they have read.
HexHammer

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 02:19 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Hi Hex,

I didn't miss your point - I didn't like the context of your use of the word 'enlightened'. Had you said 'less superstitious', or 'more knowledgeable' I wouldn't have commented.
There are many uses of "enlightend", just because you have a fixation with the word, shouldn't compromise my correct use of it.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 04:06 am
@spidergal,

Quote:
Does reading make us wiser?
That depends on what we read.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 04:07 am
@seashell,
An excellent, succinct response.
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 05:14 am
@HexHammer,
Quote:
There are many uses of "enlightend", just because you have a fixation with the word, shouldn't compromise my correct use of it.
You realise this started with an example from me of how medieval times had aspects that were more enlightened than todays western world? I'm bemused that I touched a nerve. What a reaction.
HexHammer

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:27 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
You realise this started with an example from me of how medieval times had aspects that were more enlightened than todays western world? I'm bemused that I touched a nerve. What a reaction.
Enjoy youself with your narrowminded views.
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:35 am
@HexHammer,
You must get back on "prozac" really soon... Laughing
0 Replies

north

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:13 pm

look

reading makes us wiser , no matter who you read , for those who have developed themselves , through their lives

the problem is really the young

the young aren't experienced enough in thought and life , to be wise enough to question , for the most part

vikorr

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm
@north,
Hi North,

One of the 'problems' with the young, in relation to wisdom, is that until somewhere between 21-25 the human brain hasn't fully developed it's decision making skills.
ossobuco

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:32 pm
@vikorr,
Yeh, but some people wrote very well in those years.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:51 pm

Reading is good mental exercise.
0 Replies

Fido

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:47 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Just generally curious - what are the advantages of being well-read over not being well-read? And who exactly would you consider well-read?

I am well read, and on many subjects, and it has been nearly the whole of my education.. And no, I do not think it makes one wise; but the wisdom of others we may adopt as our own, and better recognize wisdom with knowledge, and so may seem wise at times, and act as though we are, making wise choices...
0 Replies

vikorr

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi osso, yes.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 05:22 am
So ..where did this spidergal go?! ..left his own discussion.
0 Replies

spidergal

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:01 am
@HexHammer,
I didn't flee the discussion, HexHammer. I was having Internet trouble and have only now been able to get the darn thing fixed.

Quote:
which is why such person can't be considerd wise and at times unintelligent, Cyracuz and Fido are excellent case studies.

I didn't understand most of what you said, but the above - and with it I highly disagree.
spidergal

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:06 am
@ossobuco,
Interesting stuff, Osso.

I can't even imagine how many books and decades of reading it would take me to be as well-read as you are.
0 Replies

spidergal

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:16 am
I read Set's response, and I have a feeling my initial question might really be flawed.

Maybe I can't figure what exactly I want to ask here.

I can imagine what you meant, Set, when you said we gain wisdom by interaction with humans. But wouldn't reading help? If I interacted with humans and read about human behavior constantly, wouldn't that be better?

Maybe I'm trying really to figure what excessive reading over a certain period of time does to the mind and how it helps shape our worldview? How is a well-read person's worldview (assuming he's absorbed a good deal of what he's read) any different from a person who's that as well-read? Is it any better?

0 Replies

HexHammer

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:09 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

I didn't flee the discussion, HexHammer. I was having Internet trouble and have only now been able to get the darn thing fixed.

Quote:
which is why such person can't be considerd wise and at times unintelligent, Cyracuz and Fido are excellent case studies.

I didn't understand most of what you said, but the above - and with it I highly disagree.
Yearh, that's the excat problem, most here have very limited knowledge, IQ and RQ thus easily swayed by Fido and Cryacuz's rethorical nonsens.

Then please show me some those 2 have made of intelligent posts please, I'v followed Fido for about 2 years and Cyracuz for about ½ year, neither made anything but talkative nonsens and babble.
0 Replies

north

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
reading only makes us wiser , if we can question and voice it

I got this from BBC Canada

they had a debate wether education without free-speach was worthless, in Quatar of all places !!
Oylok

Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@north,
north wrote:

reading only makes us wiser , if we can question and voice it

I agree, north. Reading is only the beginning. If you read something you agree with you should be able to defend it against opposing viewpoints. And if you disagree with something, you should be able to articulate your case against it. That's why discussion and debate are so important. I've read numerous texts on economic theory, but because I never defended the texts against their critics, I forgot what all the points the books made were.

Even if the person with whom you're discussing a book has never read the book, he or she may still be able to point out something obvious that you have missed.