Fan Fiction ... and ... ... ... ... You?

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:38 am
What do you think about fan fiction as a genre/literary category?

Do you consume it? Do you write it? Do you burn and bury the ashes of many fan fiction manuscripts as you create?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:56 am
I always have avoided it in all its forms.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 12:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Fan fiction is how I got into writing. I was writing enough wholly original characters that things had taken a huge turn away from the source material. It was different enough that it was obvious -- I was using a previously constructed universe as a crutch. So I tossed the crutch.

I also decided I wanted to be paid for my efforts. I don't make much from writing at all. But at least I can. I own the rights!

Fan fiction is a great entry into wholly original writing. But I would say, it's harder for me to world build because I have much more experience in writing dialogue and character creation and building.

And the following are fan fiction, after a fashion: Romeo & Juliet (from Tristan and Isolde), West Side Story (from Romeo & Juliet), Clueless (from Emma), The Inferno (from the bible), 10 Things I Hate About You (from The Taming of the Shrew), Cinderfella (from the folklore tale Cinderella), The Lion King (from Hamlet), etc. etc. etc.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:28 pm
@jespah,
And Jacques Cousteau was the inspiration for Shark Tale which in itself became the inspiration for The Godfather.

Or is it the other way round?

Yes sorry, Jacques Cousteau is fan fiction based on Shark Tale. I feel really stupid for forgetting that.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And Jacques Cousteau was the inspiration for Shark Tale which in itself became the inspiration for The Godfather.

Wes Anderson borrowed the Cousteau archetype for his Steve Zissou character in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004).
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Attempted reading and even writing a couple of occasions. It never fully connected and I abandoned future endeavors in that 'genre'.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 01:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I haven't seen that. I thought SpongeBob was about it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 10:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Nope don't like it in any shape or form.

Although in Middle School I did write a play that was performed in class that was fan fiction but I was like 12 at the time.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:05 am
@tsarstepan,
Technically, I do read "fan fiction", in that I have read fiction based on existing IP, written by fans of that IP.

Many modern DC and Marvel comics are very much written and drawn by longtime fans of the characters, and it shows in their work. Quality may vary, though.

I almost never read any fan fiction written by amateurs. The only fan fiction I have read is some Ready Player One fan fiction written by Andy Weir (writer of The Martian)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:22 am
@Rebelofnj,
By that definition I suppose officially sanctioned books about James Bond and Sherlock Holmes would also count.

What about the authors of the Target Doctor Who books? Almost all of them were written by people intimately involved in the show either as producers, writers, directors and actors. Does that men they're fans or just working on the side?

Sorry for throwing you such a shitty question, you can tell me to **** off if you want.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
It is always hard to tell who exactly who is a big fanboy and who is just working on an IP, unless they are let it be known of their fandom.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Those books are regular ole works for hire, written by people under license from the IP holder(s). Not fan fiction.
0 Replies

longly1

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:02 pm
The poster Andy Black wrote an outstanding story, Sacred Mountain, based on Jean M. Auel’s Earth Children’s series. Of course, it is just my opinion, but I believe it is good enough to publish. However, it can’t be published unless Mrs. Auel publishes it since she owns the story. I don’t understand why Auel doesn’t buy the story and publish it or rewrite and publish the story with Black as coauthor whoever he is.
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 07:34 am
@longly1,
Most fan fiction sufferes from "running out of originality"> What works as an initial or first three works of an authors mind are that the author starts robbing itself of ideas and the topics get so derivative that its almost a joke.
Elmore Leonard has always escaped that cause he does characters and everything through dialogue. He doesnt waste any time on those long drifting descriptions of "The night" or the "Forest in the morning" or anything else that our old comp instructors used to enjoy reading when alone with a bottle..

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 12:33 pm
@longly1,
Because most IP holders don't want to do this.

IP is an asset. Auel may have plans for her works. And one of those plans could very well be not creating any more works.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 12:37 pm
@jespah,
Damn right. I don't know about you, but I'm very protective of my character. I wouldn't want anyone else to start writing about him.
jespah

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Seconded.
0 Replies

longly1

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 11:10 pm
@jespah,
"Because most IP holders don't want to do this.

IP is an asset. Auel may have plans for her works. And one of those plans could very well be not creating any more works. "

So you are willing to condemn Ayla to be a 26-year-old cro-magnom mother one and a junior member of the society of shamans for all eternity. It is her destiny to be the first among the shamans and to protect the spiritual and physical health of her people. Doesn’t she have the right to more children, grandchildren and other achievements Or better still don’t the fans have a right to share these experiences with Ayla. Doesn’t Mrs. Auel owe the fans something after all they made her a wealthy woman?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 07:41 am
NSFW (nothing openly explicit but bleeped/redacted words and phrases are still determinable/understandable):
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 04:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

NSFW (nothing openly explicit but bleeped/redacted words and phrases are still determinable/understandable):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhWWcWtAUoY[/youtube]

And the Omegaverse Legal Saga continues!
0 Replies