What is a good book to read next?

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:27 pm
Hi, I’m looking for a good book to read and was hoping someone here might have a few suggestions.

I Googled “how to find good books to read” with little success, so let’s see if I can clarify to you what I’m looking for. I really enjoyed "Tuesdays with Morrie", and I just finished reading "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller and loved it. I think what these books have in common is that they challenge the reader to consider what they strive for in life, and what would truly make them happy. I love that in a book. That’s what I’m looking for, a book that makes you stop mid-page to reflect on your life and think about what’s really important. If anyone can recommend anything to read that might even slightly have that quality please let me know, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 9,088 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@nickadocker,
This I Believe
Quote:
This I Believe is an international project engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives. More than 70,000 of these essays, written by people from all walks of life, are archived here on our website, heard on public radio, chronicled through our books, and featured in weekly podcasts. The project is based on the popular 1950s radio series of the same name hosted by Edward R. Murrow.

http://thisibelieve.org/

If you want to listen to some of the stories:
http://thisibelieve.org/podcasts/
The first book of collected essays:
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman.
http://www.amazon.com/This-Believe-Personal-Philosophies-Remarkable/dp/0805086587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269210678&sr=8-1
http://www.johnwfountain.com/JohnFountain/This%20I%20Believe.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@nickadocker,
Hi nickadocker.

Welcome to A2K.

There is a long-running thread at this link
http://able2know.org/topic/1042-1
where people post about the books they are currently reading.

You might take a look in there to see if there are any 'sympatico' seeming books referenced in that thread.

Good reading!
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:44 pm
@nickadocker,
I'm just pages away from finishing "The Help" and it has made me reflect on my life a LOT. I grew up in the south (thankfully not the "deep" south like in the book) during the 60s and my parents best friends had Help.

Their Help was named Maggie and I loved her. She would brush my hair till my head would bleed and dress me up in fancy clothes and take me to church with her where I would feel like a starlet. I wouldn't put on a dress or brush my hair for anyone but Maggie. Still won't.
dlowan

Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:54 am
@boomerang,
It's a WONDERFUL book!!!! I am reading it at present.
0 Replies

lillyrox

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:10 am
My suggestion: Harry Potter. What you must know is that he's a wizard. I didn't know that at first, and because of that I didn't read them until a few months ago, just before I turned 11.
0 Replies

qwertyportne

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@nickadocker,
Nickadocker,

Can't think of any book I've read with that specific focus, but a number of authors come to mind who have opened up my thinking about life in general and my life in particular. Some might surprise you, because most people would not associate anything they wrote as making the reader "stop mid-page to reflect on your life..." but I'll list three of them anyway, because they did that for me, sometimes directly but often indirectly:

Bill Brower, especially his A Short History of Almost Everything
Carl Sagan, especially his Shadows of Ancient Ancestors
E. B. White, especially his Charlotte's Web

You might also read the Disiderata -- not a book but if it doesn't make you stop and reflect on your life, check your pulse!

Biographies, autobiographies and memoirs are also good places to find things that might compel you to reflect on your own life. And you might also consider the possibility of writing your own memoir or autobiography (there is a difference) -- not for publication but to help you discover yourself.

Hope you find some good books and if you do, please pass them on to the rest of us. Thanks,

--Bill
0 Replies

lillyrox

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 06:52 pm
Percy Jackson. I admit the beginning isn't very good, but it gets better. Give it a try, at least.
0 Replies

Hfjones

Thu 30 May, 2013 08:03 pm
@nickadocker,
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, though it might be hard to get from the plot the exact feelings you look for, is a great book that makes you reflect on faith and how small things can influence your life and though im not very religious i enjoyed the book. A book that makes you reflect on life now would be Faulkner's classic, The Sound and The Fury; maybe not the whole book but Quentin Compson, my all time favorite novel character so far, provides some deep insights on life and its meanings. I compare Quentin's section with Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, though i consider The Sound and the Fury much better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 30 May, 2013 09:48 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969103_10152877758025296_453005995_n.jpg
0 Replies

Mohay Rix

Sat 12 Dec, 2015 10:03 pm
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Don't just read but work it. I am doing just that after 35 years for the second time. I made my first million dollars by the time I was 25 years old. My next goal is to have five million by this time next year so I can tangably bless those in need.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:31 am
@nickadocker,
Read something which you like it, I mean to say that as per your interest.
0 Replies

joshuayuno

Tue 23 Nov, 2021 05:21 am
@nickadocker,
1) The Five People You Meet in Heaven
2) Restless Souls
3) The Last Lecture
4) The Kite Runner
0 Replies