Modeling chocolate and other cake advice

Butrflynet

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 03:57 pm
@boomerang,
Here's instructions for making this coiled cake:

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/images/coolest-burmese-python-snake-cake-46-21372756.jpg

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-burmese-python-snake-cake-46.html

You could probably use the same technique with the pizza rack to put some texture on a frosted snake.

Quote:
Here we go: We used two "halves" of a Williams & Sonoma donut cake mold for the top two layers and a Bundt pan for the bottom layer (totaling two boxes of cake mix). Then, we applied a layer of frosting as a crumb coat on each layer and a subsequent layer of white fondant. If you look close you will notice only the top two layers have a scale-like texture. We pressed a wire pizza rack onto the fondant for the top two layers to create the texture for the scales prior to applying the fondant to the cake (we didn't think about creating a texture on the fondant until it was too late for the bottom layer). I was recruited to mold the head, neck and tail out of rice crispy treats.

We covered the head and tail with the same white fondant. For the color, I used an orange icing color (Wilton brand orange) and water mix because this produced a richer color than just the liquid food coloring drops and because it stuck to the fondant better without running all over. I painted the snake by hand with the orange color (and it took quite a long time).

For the eyes, we used two red Starburst jelly beans, pressed them into pre-made eye sockets and finished them off with a coat of cooking oil for a glossy look. The tongue was made out of a cut and shaped Swedish fish.

And here's another:

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/images/coolest-rattle-snake-cake-45-21353499.jpg

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-rattle-snake-cake-45.html

Quote:
This homemade rattle snake cake was made for my son’s snake-themed 6th birthday party. I started with a chocolate box cake in a tube pan (the kind made for angel food cake). Once it was baked and cooled, I sliced a ½ inch “doughnut” shape off the top to level the cake. I carefully reserved this piece for the head and front of the snake. I sliced the rest horizontally into three layers.

To assemble: I laid the bottom, largest “ring” near the bottom middle of the cake board. I cut through one side of the layer at an angle and slightly changed it from an O shape to a Q. The tail of the Q will be the rattlesnake tail. I lightly frosted it with chocolate frosting.

Next, I laid the middle ring on top, splitting it as well and overlapping the layer on itself to make it like a snake body coiling. I frosted this only around the very innermost portion of the ring.

I now had one remaining ring and the “doughnut” shape that I had cut to level the cake. The final ring I cut into 2 concentric rings by carefully running a knife midway through the ring. I then cut the outermost ring into 2 pieces: 1/3 and 2/3, or a C shape and a slight curve. I put the C shape on the top layer of the coiled body, gently bending it to fit. The slight curve was used to make the snake body curve from the top of the coil to the board. The inner concentric ring was cut and the pieces were used along with the doughnut shape to form the “neck” and head of the snake.

I wanted the overall form of the homemade rattle snake cake to be in a number 6 shape. I used small bits of cake to create an open mouth and to support the part that started to uncoil down to the board. I cut another small triangular piece to form a standing rattle which I supported with a toothpick that protruded into the board. I used frosting to secure any joined pieces.

I frosted it with tinted canned vanilla frosting, starting with the “belly” parts of the snake. I made small “scales” from a Wilton leaf tip, overlapping beginning at the rattle. I coiled the belly color around the snake ending at the head. I then used a flat frosting tip in the body color (green) to make smooth, flat striped around the entire length of the snake.

The inside of the coil was frosted and filled with M&Ms. I tinted some frosting red to be used as a center stripe and for the tongue. My son’s name was written as the tongue. Mini M&Ms were used for eyes. Wiggly snake-like candles were standing up in the M&Ms.

The whole thing was quite shocking to see and my son absolutely loved it!

And another:

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/images/burmese-python-snake-cake-22-21353875.jpg
http://coolest-birthday-cakes.shippony.com/images/c2/c2-animals/snake-22b.jpg

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/burmese-python-snake-cake-22.html

Again, you can easily use frosting or some other decor other than the fondant.

Quote:
I baked two bundt cakes using 2 boxes of cake batter (I always add 1 box of jello instant pudding to my batter - match the flavors i.e. vanilla w/ vanilla and chocolate w/ choc. etc. - this makes your cake extra moist!)

Once the cakes were cooled I cut the center out of one of the cakes top-wise and down (which you'll use for the head/neck and tail) then each bundt cake is cut length-wise at it's side. This gave me 5 "coils" in all.

I then frosted the coils and wrapped them in a thin layer of fondant (two boxes of white pre-made fondant were used). I placed the largest coil on the bottom and then staggered them by size for effect.

The last coil, I cut in half and used one half for the tail and another for the head and neck. These were wrapped in layered fondant and sculpted for a more snake like effect and "stuck" together with water. The water pretty much glues the fondant together.

Any areas that looked too "apliqued" I just built up and sculpted with extra fondant (like the tail). Then the head and neck of the snake cake were made as the rest, w/ the exception of the tounge, which is a fruit roll-up of which the end was wrapped in fondant and watered to stick to the bottom of the jaw. The eyes are also fondant rolled in a ball and again applied w/ water.

After all was done, I painted the "skin" on the entire cake with a paint brush and orange food coloring diluting the food coloring w/ water for color variation. I did end up w/ one extra coil and a half extra of the inner top cut, having only needed three coils for the body and one cut in half for the head/neck and tail.

I do recommend refrigerating it until you're ready to present it. I took mine out a few hours beforehand and a few minor splits due to weight appeared. They were easily fixed w/ water and smoothing out though.
boomerang

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
That's an interesting idea!

I used ground up Oreos to make garden paths on a cake for Mo one year (with hand painted marzipan vegetables (it was a pretty cake, if I do say so myself).

I would need to find a way to stencil it to the frosting.....

I have test cakes in the oven! I ended up using springform pans instead of an angel food pan so I could cut out the centers and use them for test frostings, while freezing the big circle for later on the actual cake (if the recipe turns out good, that is).

I going to test my "spatter" ingredients in a bit to see if I can make good python spots.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think I have the coiling part figured out (I've probably made more than 1,000 layer cakes in my life -- 25 years ago I worked as a pastry baker to supplement my photo income).

I love that orange and white cake -- I want those kind of imperfect coils! They did a beautiful job.

I can't believe the number of cakes I've seen that use rice crispy treats!
ehBeth

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@boomerang,
rice krispy treats mold well AND are easy to carve

and most folks like 'em - they're a fairly neutral taste - you don't have to add odd ingredients to make them hold their shape
ehBeth

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
ohhh - and the rice crispy treats are often used because of the weight issue - so the cake doesn't collapse in on itself
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
The magic shell made great python markings!

Unfortunately it returns to mush when left at room temperature for a few minutes. I'm thinking I could leave the decoration in the freezer and apply them a bit before the cake is served but that leaves a lot to chance.

The chocolate glaze didn't work very well but it really tastes good. I might experiment with it some more. It looked good but it wouldn't peel from the parchment. I might try freezing it.

I do have a recipe for a really amazing fudge cookie. Usually it's a drop cookie but I might be able to pipe it into shapes and then bake it to create the spots......
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Hm. Interesting. Maybe I'll consider them for the snake's head.

The way I have the cake laid out in my head I think I can just do it with cake, though.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:42 pm
@boomerang,
Sorry, I thought that this meant you weren't sure how to do it and wanted suggestions:

Quote:
I haven't sculpted cake before but I think I'm up to the task. I understand that the cakes should be frozen first then partially thawed before cutting. This is good because it means I can bake in advance.

Good luck with the cake! Post some photos of the finished product.
CalamityJane

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:53 pm
Oh wow, I like the orange/white snake cake too... if you make 3 cakes (giant donuts), cut out the middle and layer them on top of each other, like in the picture shows, that would work. With the middle part you can form the tail and the head - so in essence you need 3 cakes. You could melt white chocolate and pour some of it over the cake and give orange food coloring into a portion and once the white chocolate has hardened, add the orange colored chocolate...
boomerang

Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
I hope I didn't sound dismissive of your help and I'm sorry if I did. I do appreciate your suggestions.

I have made cakes before but I haven't sculpted anything complicated. I do think I'm up to the task of creating the form I'm after but I was unsure of some of the freezing/thawing issues.

And I'm completely unsure of the decorating issues, especially when the trade off is taste. A lot of decor tastes bad. I want to avoid that.

I'll try to post some photos if I ever get this thing figured out!
0 Replies

JessiHart

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
The donut thing reminds me of when my husband made a cake for one of our boys......the middle of the cake didn't cook all the way so he cut it out and decorated it to look like a car tire! I make the cakes now! My decorating leaves much to be desired but at least they are done! LOL Smile
boomerang

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:50 pm
@JessiHart,
That's funny.

I've had some real cake disasters and that's why I plan way ahead now.

I just took the last of my cakes out of the oven today and they should be about ready to go into the freezer. Mo wanted chocolate and I found this completely decadent recipe : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Pound-Cake-III/Detail.aspx

I made three batches and spread it over 5 cake pans because I wanted a thin, long, snake. It doesn't look like a lot of cake but it is so dense and so rich - like a cross between a brownie and fudge -- that I think it will be enough (we're having 15 kids over (I must have lost my mind)).

I have a low tolerance for chocolate so I'm not too sure if it's enough. I do know I don't want leftovers.

I think I'll get some vanilla ice cream, partially melt it, mix in gummy worms and refreeze to serve with it. I hope gummy junk freezes okay!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 09:19 pm
@JessiHart,
That is funny indeed. At least he had enough imagination to make a "tire cake"
out of it; probably the only one of its kind Laughing

----
Boomer, 15 kids? Oy, you'll have your hands full. Please don't forget to
take a picture of the snake cake - I am dying to see the finished product.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 05:59 pm
My first frosting experiment was a disaster (but "delicious" according to my two taste testers).

I found this groovy hand pump aerator at the store today so I thought I could maybe just spray on the color. Ummm.... better suited for large areas.

Since I had the food colorant mixed up I thought I would try just hand painting it on. It turned out okay considering it was a fast trial (no crumb coat, store bought, overly stiff frosting)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/cake.jpg

I think this could work!

He said this would "be okay" but he'd prefer a python.

I think the texture looks pretty good. Do you think it looks like snake skin at all?

Butrflynet

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@boomerang,
Snake skin? Yep!

Great job, mom.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:38 pm
@boomerang,
Yes, that looks like snake skin. I also appreciate the German flag colors Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:22 am
Oh my my. This cake turned out to be much harder than I anticipated. I almost gave up and hit the fondant aisle at the cake decor shop. But I learned some important lessons for if I ever have to do it again. Mo thinks it looks great, though, and that's all that really matters. It does taste really good!

I hesitate to even show it here but I promised a photo so a photo you'll get.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP2542.jpg

Sorry it's such a crappy photo but the party is today and I have a hundred things to do so crop and shop isn't on the agenda.
sozobe

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:29 am
@boomerang,
It looks fantabulous at that size anyway!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:53 am
@boomerang,
That looks great.

Later. Much later, you'll talk about the lessons you learned.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 01:12 pm
@boomerang,
Have fun with the party!
0 Replies