I have a new hobby: Baking!

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 11:29 am
Hi! I've recently decided that I want to get into baking. Everything about baking - from the fondant creations to the amazing flavors - interests me! I'm hoping to connect with other bakers to get fun recipes and maybe even some help in my new endeavors (something I will definitely be needing!) Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,854 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 12:12 pm
@bridgeyeakel,
Welcome to a2k Bridgeyeakel. We have more then a few amateur and lifelong bakers (even a few professionals perhaps) here at a2k. Glad to have you join us here. (Though I'm not a baker but merely a consumer of delicious baked goods Smile ).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:55 pm
@bridgeyeakel,
didja ever taste fondant? Its horrible and whenever I watched those "King of Cakes" TV shows I always wondered who would eat one of those crazy sculptured cakes what with everybody's fingers all over them and that horrible fondant.

I love baking apple pies and nut rolls
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:08 pm
I baked a lot of bread when I was in the tropics, and got rained in for weeks on end. Foccacia loaves were my favourite. And plain bread rolls were good value too.

I did notice that flour changes (degrades) rather quickly when stored without refrigeration. Results with fresh flour are markedly different to those when older flour is used.

Need a cellar or cold storage for both the flour and yeast, especially in the tropics. It would be better if the flour could be milled just before using in breads, but that would limit your output to wholemeal loaves, which isn't a bad thing, really.
0 Replies