A2K 2010 Year in Review

jespah

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:12 am
Hide your kids, hide your wife, it's time for the A2K Year in Review, 2010 style.

Fortunately, we had no deaths this year, so thank God, fate, time, the great bird of the galaxy, the spirit of the Internet or whatever/whoever for that.

Hence, it's time for some silliness and light stuff.

News
The Droid forum was merged with A2K in about February or so.

The Philosophy forum joined us in about May or so.

Guess who got married in October of this year? My apologies for the lousy sound quality.

There were gatherings, in New York City and Albuquerque and Boston -- and more are planned for next year, in at least Toronto and Boston.

Penny the Hamster continued traveling all over the planet and was last seen in Australia.

Traffic
The site is freakin' HUGE!

There are currently over 194,000 registered members. We will easily hit 200,000 registered members by the middle of the year or so. The acquisition of forums helps with this, of course.

Topics
A2Kers continued to comment on just about everything.

We marked the deaths of everyone from Leslie Nielsen to Teena Marie, Don Meredith to Elizabeth Edwards, John Forsythe to Howard Zinn, Bob Probert to Malcolm McLaren:

Major news stories included the rescue of the Chilean miners and the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. We fretted about Gate Rape and suspected we might not be invited to the upcoming Royal Wedding.

But if I were a betting gal, I'd wager that Penny the Hamster might find a way to get there -- even if it's only through Photoshop.

Happy New Year, A2Kers. Onward to a Year that Goes All the Way up to 11!!!

http://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gif
http://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://bestanimations.com/holidays/fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gif

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 4,121 • Replies: 25
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:33 am
@jespah,
wow, we didn't lose any members this year (that we know of), pretty good year
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
@djjd62,
year aint over yet. Im not feelin too good. ASHit, all I got to look forward to is saur kraut
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:46 pm
@jespah,
Oh Wow . . . Gozupta . . . i haven't thought about her in years. I hope she is well.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:51 pm
Year's over, here! 5.50am.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks for the report, Jes
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

year aint over yet. Im not feelin too good. ASHit, all I got to look forward to is saur kraut

What's wrong with sauerkraut??
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
Thanks for the review, Jessie (The Body) A2k Adventuress.

You are such a good Administrator, I can't imagine anyone better.

That was not meant as a suckup; you know me.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

farmerman wrote:

what the hell's right with it? That's the only veggie dish I got served in Germany and it got disgusting right quick.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 07:31 pm
@Mame,
Sauerkraut marries perfectly well with hot dogs and bratwursts.
dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

farmerman wrote:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0706/ldisgust_0604.jpg

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 07:41 pm
I predict that 2011 will be a banner year for a2k.
Thanks to all the good people who make it possible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 06:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Sauerkraut marries perfectly well with hot dogs and bratwursts.
TWo of natures most nearly prfect foods. A hot dog is a bisulfite tainted piece of ground up varmint innards and roadkill parts, and surkraut is a pile of rotten salted cabbage.
Anyway, based upon my dissent, we didnt have to do the annual New YEars Saurkraut feed at the Fulton Fire Company. INstead we went to see True Grit and did some enjoyable Al Fresco dining near the dockside at Northeast Md. We had some delicious crab cake sammiches and pepsi. Then we wen t to see bald eagles and then movie and then some latte in a town festival. No hot dogs in sight and saurkraut was safely imprisoned in around Lancaster County.(Pennsylvania Dutch and "gourmet eats" have , to my knowledge, never been used together in a senetence)
Course, down in the Md eastern shore, they celebrate the new year with black eye peas and ham dishes.
Im not much of a southern ham afficianado eoither, TOO fuggin salty.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:31 am
I've had Alsatian-style choucroute garni, which is sauerkraut with sausage.
I liked it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:32 am
You can have my share of the sauerkraut, George, but i'll take the sausage.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:35 pm
Dave Barry's 2010 Year in Review

Pretty long, but packed with Laughing . He writes one every year. Dave Barry is God. Cool
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 06:33 am
So I show up belatedly to thank jes for the review, and what do I get? Sauerkraut.

Belated thanks, jes. Glad to see that nobody croaked. Still missing the ones that did in previous years.

I like sauerkraut well enough on a hot dog or with pork dishes.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:07 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for your concise effort jespah, much appreciated.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:32 am
Mwah and, of course, the detour into sauerkraut is quintessential A2K. Makes me smile - I bet Noddy and timber would have a lot to say about that.

So, hold your Abrahamic mythopedial/spyware removal dominions, everyone.
Letty

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:54 am
@jespah,
jes, I recall telling Noddy that even my dominion was old. Razz

No way of knowing for certain, but Mapleleaf/Gary may have died. The last we heard from him was that he had open heart surgery. That was over a year ago. Hope that I'm wrong. I love sauerkraut and bratwurst. My mom used to fix boiled cabbage replete with (ham hock. think that's the word)and a penny for good luck in the New Year.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 01:00 pm
I tried sauerkraut on a Spam sandwich. Mighty tasty.
0 Replies