When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school...

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:44 am
.... one of them was that trying to print from Kodachrome was best left to professionals!

And now there are no more professionals:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le9pvsOwQz1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

I was never very good at processing and printing color film simply because it was so darn expensive but I do truly miss working in a darkroom.

The first darkroom I ever worked in was one my dad set up in our basement when I was about 9 years old. We had both developed a sincere photography habit and we loved puttering around down there. (Good times, dad, good times.) I spent a good part of the next 35 years smelling those smells. Then I made the jump to digital.

I miss darkrooms.

Do you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 7,462 • Replies: 76
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:51 am
never developed my own film, but i do miss my Pentax K 1000 (RIP)
http://www.foundphotography.com/PhotoThoughts/Pentax_K1000.jpg
jespah

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:07 am
@djjd62,
My parents are selling the old darkroom equipment, including a huge honkin' enlarger I remember from High School, so it's at least 30 years old.
boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:13 am
@djjd62,
Nice!

I still have most of my old cameras. I shot with my Cannon, every day, for probably 20 years and it has these lovely little worn out spots around the body.

I have an old Minox that my dad gave to me -- the first camera that I ever processed film for. It's an 8mm camera and it had this crazy little gadget you used to roll the film into the can. Very steampunk.
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:19 am
I had a Canon, and just loved it. I was never into to it enough to do my own developing and printing, though. I loved it when i could find a guy at the photo shop who would work with me to crop the images to get exactly the picture i wanted. Unfortunately, i didn't keep up with it. The Girl is a life-long shutterbug, though.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:19 am
@boomerang,

took a photography class for a semester in college, even considered it as a vocation for a few misplaced seconds.
the smells of the chemicals are indeed unforgettable, but i can't say i miss the process of developing my own film...
djjd62

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:24 am
@boomerang,
i got the camera in the mid 80's, it met it's untimely death about a decade or so later on christmas day, my grandmother was a shut in and we always took christmas dinner to her, running around like an idiot, trying to get everything in order and get everyone in the car (we had my nephews for some reason i can't quite recall), just about ready to get going, i had the camera in hand, when we realized we'd forgotten something, i put the camera on the trunk of the car and ran back inside, grabbed the forgotten item, jumped in the car and took off, about a hundred yards down the road, i see something fly off the trunk and bounce along the road, yep, you guessed it

kept the smashed body for years as a kind of monument, finally got rid of it a few years ago

always meant to replace it, even found a few of the same model in good condition, but as the technology changed and the end of film seemed near it got less and less likely i would, and i didn't
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:27 am
@djjd62,
I have about 6 different Minoltas and a huge passel of lenses. I did a lot of photography of X ray diffraction patterns and thin section chemical analyses.
Its all just evidence of the death of the analog world and the rise of the digital.
The next step will be the rise of the hexadezimal. Itll make for waaay cooler stuff.
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
@farmerman,
Your attitude is naïve and binary . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
@jespah,
I got rid of my enlarger several years back but I still have a few things -- some reels and cans and tongs. They're as familiar as my fingers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:36 am
@Setanta,
That was a good guy to know!

One of the things that I both like and hate about digital is how easily an image is manipulated. It's made me lazy in looking.

I love all the old photos ehBeth posts!
boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:38 am
@Region Philbis,
I remember being at a salad bar several years ago and catching the unmistakable odor of fixer. Turns out that restaurants use the same chemical to keep lettuce from turning brown.

It makes sense -- fixer stopped things from being light sensitive -- but I'm sure people wonder why I sniff the salad before putting it on my plate to this day!
boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
@djjd62,
Tragic!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:45 am
@farmerman,
Hexa what?

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:53 am
@boomerang,
yep, and why not, weve earned it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:57 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Hexa what?

Hexadecimal.
I like it 'cause I get to be 41.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:30 am
@djjd62,
I have its Dad. Mine is a Honeywell Pentaxbut it has the super multi-coated Takimar lens. I love it but it is too heavy and large to always have it with me.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:32 am
@Region Philbis,
I also took a semester of photography in college. The course was set up so it could go for either art or journalism credit. Mine was part of my journalism minor.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:34 am
@boomerang,
Thanks for the warning about fixer on lettuce/ Ugh.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:41 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

One of the things that I both like and hate about digital is how easily an image is manipulated. It's made me lazy in looking.

I know nothing of the developing stuff.
When I got into photography, it was all digital. I do WISH i could have done the developing myself. I do i do i do i do i do!!!

But, your above statement bothers me too. Especially since I have worked with people who take that very attitude.
I will set up a shot, adjust, click once, maybe twice... alter a bit if I need to, then I am done.
These people walk up, turn on their camera and shoot ten ba-zillion shots just because they have photoshop or something like that. Its as if there is no need to SEE.. just shoot and fix/create later.
I personally do not like altered or created fantasy photos at all, but they are ever popular. Its not about the photo or your eye at that point. Its all about the editing software.