Assessing blame for 9/11

au1929

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:19 am
Chief of Sept. 11 Panel Assesses Blame but Holds Off on Higher-Ups

By PHILIP SHENON

Published: December 19, 2003

WASHINGTON, Dec. 18 — The chairman of a federal commission investigating the Sept. 11 terror attacks said on Thursday that information long available to the public showed that the attacks could have been prevented had a group of low-and mid-level government employees at the F.B.I., the immigration service and elsewhere done their jobs properly.

In my opinion as Truman said the Buck stops here. It is easy to blame the poor schnook on the job. However who set's the rules and establishes the climate and is ultimately responsible, the person at the top. In sports when the team loses who gets fired the players or the coach. I know from my experience the subordinate will ultimately act in a manner that the person in charge telegraphs [figuratively speaking] wants him to. If any heads need to roll it IMO should be those at the top of the food chain.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/19/national/19KEAN.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 2
No top replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 04:51 am
Rolling Eyes Dear au1929,
Though it's customary for the head to take the blame,
it's also fair to take action on a junior(s) if it's clearly established that they failed.In the absence of which I agree with you the the Chief is to be blamed.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 06:43 am
Does this mean we should blame the guy in charge now, or when we learned planes can be used as bombs?...Or the ones in between.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Dwight David Eisenhower
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Richard Milhous Nixon
Gerald Rudolph Ford
James Earl Carter Jr.
Ronald Wilson Reagan
George Herbert Walker Bush
William Jefferson Clinton
George Walker Bush
We all new it's been done before but I've never met a sole that said they weren't shocked on 9/11. I did notice that as soon as people understood the threat, they started fighting back. A guy named Glick and a group of heroes prevented plane 4 from reaching its target. Most of us share the blame for this tragedy; because our arrogance didn't let us believe it could happen here. The writings been on the wall, but most of just didn't consider it a possibility. I think we're as ready now as we can ever be. Still, a murder suicide is the hardest crime to stop. I believe this will come up again. Short of citizens stepping up, I don't think our government can stop it unless they know the exact date of the plan. But mostly… you have to blame Bin Laden and the murderers who did it.
0 Replies