'I Scream' Dilemma

sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:00 am
I want to make an ice-cream with alcohol and can't seem to find any definitive answer to just how much I should add. I know that alcohol has an effect on the freeziing of the ice-cream and that too much will prevent it freezing altogether or result in large ice crystals spoiling the end result.

My problem is that in order to taste the booze you need quite alot (flavours diminish after freezing) but how much is too much?

I recently made a Mince Pie Ice Cream using 500ml Double Cream with 300ml Custard, I was pretty timid about adding the Brandy though, I used 3 1/2 tbsp which turned out to be a total waste of VSOP, it tasted great at the start and even at the 'semi-fredo' stage it was good but there's very little sign of it now the mixture is ice-cream.

My idea is for Amaretto Ice-Cream with crushed Amaretti and an Apricot Swirl, I dislike the flavour of artificial essences but I have no clue how far I can go with adding the Amaretto before I end up with unfreezable goo.

Does anyone have experience of boozy ice-cream making?

All replies gratefully received.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,153 • Replies: 52

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:35 am
@sms,
I don't have any experience but it's an interesting question so I'll suggest trying to get the flavor by adding in bits of things flavored by the liquor you want to add.

Soaking the apricots in Ameretto or soaking some kind of cookie in Ameretto before adding it to the ice cream. Some kind of an almond praline would probably be delicious since it would add a nice crunch!

Maybe reducing the alcohol on the stove top to get it a bit slurry?

Try using a sweetener other than sugar since sugar has an effect on freezing temperature. Honey? Corn syrup? Stevia? Sweetened condensed milk? I'm not sure about how those things effect freezing temperature but it might be fun to experiment and find out!

Good luck, let us know what you try and how it turns out!
sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:00 am
@boomerang,
Thank you for your reply boomerang. I hadn't thought about soaking the fruit but it's a great idea, also I didn't realise that sugar affected the freezing quality of things (I'm sooo glad I found this site, I learn something new every day). We can't get Corn Syrup in England but thinking about it Maple Syrup would work don't you think? (I could eat Maple Syrup on just about anything so it'd be no hardship with ice-cream)

I also wondered about burning off the alcohol the way the chi-chi chefs do when they flambe, just not sure if it would also burn off the taste, do you think reducing it the way you suggest would intensify the flavour? and I love your idea for an almond praline.

The worst that can happen is that I'll end up with a very cold but supersonic tasting sort of syllabub.

I'll let you know how it goes and again Thank You, I'm grateful that you took the time to reply to my question/

SMS x
sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:00 am
@boomerang,
P.s. Can you tell me what the thumb things are that appear at the side of the questions?
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:09 am
@sms,
You're most welcome!

I don't know about flambe. I'm too chicken to try it. But I do cook with wine reductions now and then and I like the flavor from that.

It might be worth a try to start with an apricot preserve or compote, add the liquor and reduce. Or, maybe saute your apricots in butter (for a nice caramelly flavor) and then add your liquor to the hot pan so it steams off quickly.

You've made me want to make ice cream!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:11 am
@sms,
The thumb things just show whether you've found an answer helpful.

If you thumb up a reply it shows that someone thought it was a good answer. If you thumb it down it shows that you found the answer irrelevant of unpleasant. If you thumb something down it disappears from your screen unless you ask to "view" it.

Welcome to A2K, by the way!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:20 am
Hi, sms and boomer -
I'm new to making ice cream and haven't even gotten to the custard stage yet, just playing with different dairy products, and so haven't fooled with alcohol in the mix yet either. Boomer's ideas sound good to me.

There are at least two other a2kers who make ice cream and post on it -
plainoldme and irishk. They'll likely see this thread and post.

Here's one thread from earlier this year.
http://able2know.org/topic/163010-2
sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:33 am
@boomerang,
Many thanks for that. Thumbs Up in fact!
0 Replies

sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:41 am
@ossobuco,
Thank You for that info Osso, I'll have a look at that link. You really should try a custard base ice-cream, it has a lovely 'full' flavour, if you aren't too confident with making your own, try using either a ready made canned custard or one of the 'fresh' custards from the chill section of the supermarket. Use 500ml of custard to 300ml of double cream (I transposed the quantities in my post but I can't change it as it's been replied to). Whisk the cream until it's softly floppy not stiff, mix in the custard and flavouring e.g. vanilla extract and seeds, and freeze.
George

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:43 am
Every time I try cooking with alcoholic beverages, they're gone when I get to the
"mix in . . ." step. Must be evaporation or something.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:45 am
@sms,
I want to go ahead and make it (I think of it as a zabaglione type thing) per some directions I've read but not tried. My ultimate goal is to become swell at making my own gelato.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:47 am
@ossobuco,
Oops, that was the wrong link above, sms.

Here's the right one - http://able2know.org/topic/145353-1

sms, being able to edit is not related here on a2k to if someone else has posted, but to time. At this point I think the time is over five minute but I'm not sure of the exact minutes, perhaps fifteen.
sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:49 am
@George,
I love that! I must admit that my last ice cream lost about one third of its volume between the adding brandy and the frozen bit.
0 Replies

sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:53 am
@ossobuco,
I wondered at that, didn't read too much once I realised you were talking about houses rather than cooking. Do you know how I could send my question to the people you suggested or do I just have to hope they see my post?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:57 am
@sms,
I already sent them a private message. I'm not sure, since you're new on a2k, if you have private messages enabled. (That's a long story; the site owner will be fixing the private message system one of these days when he is not doing a lot of other work).
I'm not sure they look at a2k every single day, so it's hard to tell when they'll get the messages.
sms

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 12:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you for sending that message.As you've guessed I'm pretty new to this and haven't got a clue about pr0per procedure yet. Is there a help section I can read?
Irishk

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the PM, osso! Another ice-cream thread is always good.

sms - I usually add alcohol to my recipes (vodka), not so much for flavor, but to help keep it scoopable. Several tablespoons is what I'm up to, I think -- it helps. I like boomerang's suggestions for flavor.

I make a Margarita ice-cream that calls for tequila and orange liqueur (I use Cointreau) -- a few teaspoons of each, but I always add more. We've never had leftover issues with it, so not sure if the alcohol helps with the freeze point or not.

Let us know how your experiments turn out.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:51 pm
I could go for something like this - coconut rum ice cream sounds soo good...

http://www.surlatable.com/product/recipes/course/coconut+rum+ice+cream.do
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 02:08 pm
@sms,
Butrflynet had a thread with quite good "how to" posts - I'll try to find it to give you the link.

One of the difficulties here is, at present, the search system is not as great as it used to be when the site started, for the reason that the early system, while wonderful, is nigh impossible now with the tremendous backlog of posts and subjects.

Robert Gentel, the site owner (earlier known as Craven de Kere) has plans to improve the search function, but that will take a lot of his time that he doesn't have that much of.

In the meantime, you can often find subjects by putting a keyword (well, word that interests you) in the little Search Forums window to the right of the New Posts page.

So, the next thing I'll do is put A2k help into that box and see what comes up.

Another way to search is to put words of interest into the small Google Custom Search box up in the dark blue banner.

I'll be back when I find Butrflynet's thread. I'll eventually find it even if I have to go and put her screen name in the google search box and then click on her name in whatever posts come up, which will bring me to her Profile page, where I could then look up all her topics...

There is also an A2k blog, that Robert writes when there is new stuff going on re the a2k website. You find that by clicking on Blog at the very bottom line of the "footer" at the bottom of the page.

There also may be some help link on the log in page - I never look at that page since I am always logged in..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 02:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey, that was easy -

http://able2know.org/topic/152761-1