Connection

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:31 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the links, Soz. Haven't looked at that yet.

There's not much around my immediate neighborhood not, even gas stations..
Much of this my own fault for not closing on the first house I bid on in ABQ. DAmmit, I didn't like the eeensy bathroom, and I do mean eensy. But that one was in a vivid part of town near buslines and lots of businesses. <slaps self silly>
I have to find out how much getting wifi costs here, if it turns out it is possible to get my own, relative to dialup or my present dsl.

I'm not even clear if I could get it, and could pay for it, is that what the Airport feature is about on Macs? Maybe I should dump the whole caboodle including my phone system (except for the lowest rate pay cell phone I have) and get an Iphone, but I'm even more ignorant about the possibilities of Iphones than I am about wifi in general. Then there would be buying one, more dollars.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:33 pm
@Tai Chi,
Yeh, but that's, I dunno, five miles from me..
Thanks though, that is certainly a preferred venue! I'd get chubbier, what with their pastries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, butrfly, no laptop. Do you two have cable?
Cable's another thing, but I wouldn't want a cable bundled thing as I have no tv, etc. and starting up with cable is also presumably costly, so I figure keeping the present situation is cheaper than switching to cable, and dial up would be less.
How much less I don't know yet.

Nuts, It just occurred to me I could get a cheap laptop (money, more money) and then use free wifi (if there is any that makes sense nearby, after I look at that link). I hate to go back to pcs, but that's an alternative. Then I could get rid of my landline, which would save gobs of money.

I might rather have an Iphone, if I could manage to learn to text. (They do have text on that, don't they?) Good lord a goshen', I might even learn to twit. (You can twitter on that, no?) I don't even know if you can access google from Iphones.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:44 pm
@PennyAroundTheWorld,
Aw you cutie pie! Never!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:45 pm
@margo,
I don't do facebook yet with internet access..
One of these days. I may even be signed up by mistake but I never look at it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:28 pm
@Roberta,
I do Robbie. And this isn't immediate, just thinking ahead.
Actually, this is all a help to get me into some kind of action (one of these days).
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I do Robbie. And this isn't immediate, just thinking ahead.
Actually, this is all a help to get me into some kind of action (one of these days).

Let's pitch this idea as an action flick!
http://i51.tinypic.com/e6sx9v.jpg
Ossobuco is about to lose her internet access!

This time? It's personal!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
That never occurred to me.
We'll see.

I get in this spiral thing of impossibility.

For example, I live in a place with a neigborhood association.
My husband and I were extremely involved with neighborhood issues in Venice (CA), he being a key member, and me on the quiet side but at one point asked by city planning to be neighborhood facilitator for land use discussions for the city of LA , which Venice is part of, in our sector of Venice. Talk about something I'd not want to do again! but I've a now long time friend from that series of twelve exciting episodes.)

There, the regular neighborhood association meetings were across the street in the elementary school, and of course then I had a husband to help me across the road in the dark. But now what ever this neighborhood association is like, the meetings are a lot of blocks away, and always held at a time I wouldn't consider driving.

I guess I need to do some chatting. Not a very chatty place, here. But, walks, more walks could be a start. I'll ask the immediate neighbors, but I'd be shocked if they have wifi, or would I. Well, maybe one... who knows, I don't know people past a few doors, and a simpatico fellow sold and moved a bit ago.
Still haven't looked at Soz's links. That might have surprise info..

Oh, and dummy should look at the association website and communicate if they seem sane.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is that legit, or like stealing?
The possible neighbor that I would guess has wifi, the interesting and friendly new ones across the street, are looking to leave as soon as they can, as they hate their rental house.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Is that legit, or like stealing?

I'm going to have to plead the 5th amendment on this one.
Confused
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
laughing...

That's how I feel when I dial quest and listen to the Quest Guy. The first syllable sends me up the wall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have enough mishugas! (Roberta, correct me on spelling).
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Not a hundred percent sure, but I think it's mishigas.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 06:42 am
@Roberta,

mishegoss is an alternate spelling...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
I looked up Ipads; they cost an arm and a leg with all the accoutrements.
Looked up Soz's link, and the closest place is the library, which I consider un-close for me over time. Don't know yet what a personal wifi connection costs, or if that would be available in this area if I wanted it (thinking not, but will find out.)
Dial up I still have to check.. but I'd still have basic phone costs and whatever any dial up fee is, and I assume there is one, and the trigger for all this is wondering if I can get rid of my landline.

Still have to look up what is involved with blackberries and ipods, but I think I'd be similarly stuck re wifi, but with less features than my computer by far. I really want the photo features my present computer has, not just for interest, but selling stuff on craigs list, ebay, etc.

Still have to look into what a simple cable system would cost, including installation fee.

My existing computer is looking swell, or more swell.

(Thanks for the help, all.)
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Looked up Soz's link, and the closest place is the library, which I consider un-close for me over time.

Did you take a look at the second link that Soz provided and did you input our zipcode to search for locations in this area? There are at least 3 that are between the Brook's grocery store that you shop at and the Home Depot by the freeway on-ramp.

Pemerson

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Unbelievable, Osso, you can't leave us here. You're the coolest poster, all level-headed and all. People seem to be disappearing, or appearing less often. We're getting a bunch of nurses, and you wouldn't want to miss that, would you?

I might disappear myself. But, I sure hope you can stay online somehow. We'd sure miss your words of wisdom, your humor, even your black widow spiders.

Your absence sure would leave a big hole in this forum.

Pat-------is mailing the book tomorrow a.m.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here is a local internet provider that offers dial-up, DSL and wireless internet access in the ABQ area:

http://www.lobo.net/internet-access.html

Quote:
56K Dialup

Our 56K V90 dilaup Internet access is reliable, fast and easy. Our dialup service is available in the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas (anyone who can call a Santa Fe or Albuquerque phone number locally can use our dialup).

Why use Lobo Internet's Dialup?

* No setup fees
* Great customer support
* Reliable, fast and easy to set up
* Set up over the phone in only 5 minutes
* Get a 10% discount if you prepay for 12 months

Dialup Internet Access pricing
Speed Hours per month
POP3 Emails
Total Monthly Cost
56K +V90
Unlimited 2 $18.00

*Our Unlimited Plan is unlimited for as long as you are using the computer, and should not be utilized as "always on."

Quote:
Residential DSL Internet

Lobo Internet uses Qwest for DSL backbone, and provides the Internet connectivity and email services.

Pure Qwest versus Lobo Internet? Experience the following benefits going with Lobo Internet:

* Two free POP3 email accounts
* Be on the phone AND the Internet at the same time!
* Local New Mexico technical support
* "Walk-in" access to help and technical support
* No hold times when you call us
* You can use whatever email client you want (including Outlook!)
* Faster access times
* Less congested network
* Great for gaming

The Qwest fees are billed to your Qwest bill and the Lobo Internet fees are billed from Lobo Internet.

Residential DSL pricing breakdown
Plan/Speed
Lobo ISP Fee
Qwest Activation, Qwest Line Fee, Modem Rental
256K $15 Current prices vary, call for current pricing
1.5mbps $20 Current prices vary, call for current pricing
3.5mbps $25 Current prices vary, call for current pricing
7mbps $35 Current prices vary, call for current pricing

More options

* You can purchase a DSL modem from Qwest, but renting helps insure against modems going bad.
* Qwest Pro services are also available. Please contact us for pricing.
* A static IP address is available for an extra $5 per month extra.
* /30 network including IP address $10/month
* /29 network including IP address $15/month

Quote:
Residential Fixed Wireless

Lobo Internet’s Fixed Wireless plans are one of the best broadband Internet connections available. Better than cable, DSL and much better than the dish.

Why use our Fixed high-speed Wireless?

* Low latency and reliable connections
* Industrial-strength Internet connections
* No sharing bandwidth with others
* No intermittent service interruptions
* Best of all, 99.9% uptime on this service!

Lobo Internet has 10 cell sites in Albuquerque, 2 in Rio Rancho, 2 in Santa Fe, 1 in Macintosh, 1 in Estancia, 2 in Moriarty and 2 in Edgewood. We are constantly upgrading our infrastructure in the east mountain area as well as the Albuquerque area. We also just added a few “backhauls” in the East Mountains to ensure even more reliable internet access!

Our wireless service is a lower cost replacement for T1 service, yet provides excellent latency and bandwidth capabilities. Install time is generally within a week!

Residential Wireless pricing breakdown
Speed/burst Install Fee Total Monthly Cost
256K/512k $395 $60
512K/1m $395 $100

Call Us today to set up an appointment! 505-xxx-xxxx
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
I did look, butrflynet. Have to look again.
Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Cool buttons, butrfly.

Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Connection
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:22:52