0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 11:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I respectfully dissent from the notion that male fertility
is a measure of strength or "weakness".

I see value in a vasectomy.
That can save a lot of unnecessary trouble n expense.

David

Doesn't matter if you dissent from that notion or not. It's what the characters is this fiction are doing.

G & M find satisfaction of sorts in their relationship
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 11:53 am
@chai2,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I respectfully dissent from the notion that male fertility
is a measure of strength or "weakness".

I see value in a vasectomy.
That can save a lot of unnecessary trouble n expense.

David
chai2 wrote:
Doesn't matter if you dissent from that notion or not. It's what the characters is this fiction are doing.

G & M find satisfaction of sorts in their relationship
No problem; whatever jingles their chimes.

David
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 11:59 am
Miss Roberta and Chai2, your narrative on the film is quite intriguing and yet, quite disturbing. Your view of it is not the disturbing part. The disturbing part, for me, is are there people out there like this for real? The answer I fear, is, yes, most definitely. To me, it's kind of eery a person can actually come up with such a bizarre plot and others act so convincingly in it. I have always loved the acting of Taylor and Burton together. When an actor/actress can get me to questioning if they are acting or being real..............I'm pretty mesmerized by the performance.

Phoenix, don't be embarrassed! I think this movie would have been even harder to grasp 45 years ago!

Isn't it strange how something so "out there" can really get your mind to working? Now I have questions like, if they were that danged creative about the "bit about the kid" why couldn't they have channeled that into something positive and productive? Of course, one answer would be, the movie wouldn't have been as good.
Laughing
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:10 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
The disturbing part, for me, is are there people out there like this for real? The answer I fear, is, yes, most definitely.

seems to me that many couples, from the outside, seem like this

you wonder why one or the other is putting up with the other, or you think they're both crazy/goofy/strange
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes.
A friend of mine is a psychiatrist.
He once said to me:
"David, anyone who u think is NOT crazy,
is just someone who u don 't know well enuf."

That included himself,
judging from the fact that he confided to me
that he had suicidal ideation, because of financial woes.

I believe that he is better now.

David
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
You are definitely right about that. I had a brother and sister-in-law once. They never got along. They fought constantly. Everyone kept telling me, that's just how they make their marriage work. I think sometimes us human beings make things a bit tougher than they need to be.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I am glad your friend is better. That surely must be a very difficult thing to go through.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I am glad your friend is better. That surely must be a very difficult thing to go through.
That incident was in 1988. He has since re-married and had 2 daughters.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
You are definitely right about that. I had a brother and sister-in-law once. They never got along. They fought constantly. Everyone kept telling me, that's just how they make their marriage work.

I think sometimes us human beings make things a bit tougher than they need to be.
Thay DO.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You know, for such self-professed intellectual beings, ya really gotta wonder sometimes. Laughing
chai2

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:08 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

The disturbing part, for me, is are there people out there like this for real?

Your naivete is cloying.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:03 pm
@chai2,
I'm guessing you missed the rest of the statement?
Quote:
The disturbing part, for me, is are there people out there like this for real? The answer I fear, is, yes, most definitely.

I am not so naive to the point of being overly or sickeningly sweet when I do realize there are people like that out there. I don't really like to think badly of people but, unfortunately, there are good and bad people in the world. I am not blind to that fact.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 04:24 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
You know, for such self-professed intellectual beings, ya really gotta wonder sometimes. Laughing
On my first day of class in Abnormal Psychology,
the Professor said that the highest suicide rate is among psychotherapists.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 04:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
Did u get any snow, Arella ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 04:26 pm

It has snown in New York.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No snow here so far. It was freezing this morning and about 60 this afternoon. The weather here changes constantly.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You know, George and Martha could have divorced. Why didn't they? I'm sure Martha thought she controlled George but I thought it the other way around.

George was a rather bright guy, so why didn't he live his own life, write books, gads, just give her a reason to respect him.. Instead, he hangs around playing the really sad games with his wife. She picks and nags him until he gets angry enough to really hurt her the only way he could (the imaginary child). He actually thinks he loves her. Such love nobody wants. He could've encouraged her to move upward in her own life. Nah, he liked her like that.

Don't forget, few people got divorced during those times. Also, I think it had a negative effect on the two actor's own marriage. I remember watching Joan Rivers (probably Johnny Carson's show). He held up a picture of Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton. She was huge (fat) and they were involved in a sexy kiss. Rivers said, "See, Richard Burton is blowing her up." During their divorce, Burton reportedly told her she "looked like a dwarf with a big stomach.

After the divorce Elizabeth Taylor lost that weight, probably lots of plastic surgery, and spent the rest of her days in public raising money for AIDS.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:12 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

No snow here so far.
It was freezing this morning and about 60 this afternoon. The weather here changes constantly.
Take good care of JJ!
Don 't let him get too cold!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:22 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

You know, George and Martha could have divorced. Why didn't they? I'm sure Martha thought she controlled George but I thought it the other way around.

George was a rather bright guy, so why didn't he live his own life, write books, gads, just give her a reason to respect him.. Instead, he hangs around playing the really sad games with his wife. She picks and nags him until he gets angry enough to really hurt her the only way he could (the imaginary child). He actually thinks he loves her. Such love nobody wants. He could've encouraged her to move upward in her own life. Nah, he liked her like that.

Don't forget, few people got divorced during those times. Also, I think it had a negative effect on the two actor's own marriage. I remember watching Joan Rivers (probably Johnny Carson's show). He held up a picture of Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton. She was huge (fat) and they were involved in a sexy kiss. Rivers said, "See, Richard Burton is blowing her up." During their divorce, Burton reportedly told her she "looked like a dwarf with a big stomach.

After the divorce Elizabeth Taylor lost that weight, probably lots of plastic surgery, and spent the rest of her days in public raising money for AIDS.
Elizabeth Taylor said on TV
that during one of her surgical operations, she died.
She saw the White Light.

She described her experience.

David
0 Replies