jcboy

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:26 pm
Stop wearing pajamas in public. You can put them on when you get home, please stop wearing them to the grocery store, the mall, etc. It's not cute, it's not funny and please trust me on this one, it's not a good look for you. I don't know who came up with this idea, but it was a very bad one. If you're so tired that you can't be bothered to put on a pair of pants, please stay home and order what you need online. Thank you.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:49 pm
@jcboy,
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think it's was a trend born from college students. Start seeing it in the mid1990's while I attended Framingham State College in MA.

It bothered me as though they were described as being warm and practical, the persons wearing them had an air of slovenly slackerishness to them (but not in a good way).

I'm afraid since it's been around so long that it will never go away. But at least while I live in NYC, I have yet to see this crime against fashionanity!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:05 am
100% agree!

I blame the people who do it, obviously, but I also have to raise an eyebrow to shop managers and owners. What ever happened to no shoes - no shirt - no service? Pajamas are not 'clothes' they are pajamas. I'm not that old but I still remember when Wendy's asked my family to leave because we came off the beach in Florida and were wearing our bathing suits (dry) into the restaurant. No big deal, we went to our hotel got changed and went back. It's their establishment so their rules. I have shown up to places and seen others asked to please come back appropriately attired. It's kind of embarrassing at the time, but not mortifying! Run home put on some pants, if you still need to go to the store go back out!

It's our all-permissive attitudes. Everything is done OUR way or YOUR way and most people think businesses must cater to every personal and custom demand. The world just doesn't work that way. I wish I knew how to make it stop, but at this point it's epidemic in proportions.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:16 am
@jcboy,
I recall the first time I witnessed this phenomenon.

I was travelling to visit Setanta in 2001 or 2002 - I was on the PA Turnpike - one of the highway stops - whole families in their pj's getting out of cars and vans.

Then, in Columbus, people in the stores in their pj bottoms and grotty t-shirts.

I'm glad this 'fashion' has never really made it to Ontario.

I don't expect people to wear formal wear to go shopping, but jeez, clothes would be nice.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 12:22 pm
There is a revolving restaurant here, at the top of a hotel, 25 stories high. It use to be THE place to go. Eric Clapton came to town, sometime during his drunken heyday, and tried to enter wearing jeans. The maitre d, a rather pompous fella, didn't care that he lived in a backwater prairie town. He turned him away. Eric put up a royal fuss and vowed never to return to this city.
He did though. When reminded, he laughed, and said he didn't remember the promise, but was glad he had returned, even though it was many, many years later.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
This is a joke surely?
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:02 am
@dlowan,
Nope . . . in fact, they sell pj bottoms with no fly, specifically intended to wear in public . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:03 am
i for one enjoy the sight of a nice female butt in a pair of pyjama pants

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:18 am
IMO, pajamas are appropriate outdoor wear.............................if you happen to be under 2 years old. Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:52 pm
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:

It's our all-permissive attitudes. Everything is done OUR way or YOUR way and most people think businesses must cater to every personal and custom demand. The world just doesn't work that way. I wish I knew how to make it stop, but at this point it's epidemic in proportions.

Apparently it does.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:33 pm
@jcboy,
Idk why but you sounded like George Carlin when I read this.

Yes, I have found myself chuckling at those who wear pajamas in public, but can't help but admire their scruples!

Ah.......to be comfortable around those I don't know......what joy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 04:52 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
Stop wearing pajamas in public.

I've never seen anyone wearing pajamas while doing their shopping, either.
Quote:
It's not cute, it's not funny and please trust me on this one, it's not a good look for you.

Is it meant to look cute, or funny or good or trendy, or .... ?
Serious question.
I'm genuinely curious about why people are doing it.
This is news to me.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:05 am
@msolga,
I believe these flannel pants are supposed to be warm and comfortable to wear in the chilly autumn weather. I guess it's also easy to jump from bed if one is running late for class and throw on a bra and a clean shirt while not having to worry about changing ones pant.

They're not any kind of class, political, or fashion statement that I'm aware of.
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Ah, I see.
Thank you, tsar.

(Can't see you doing it, though! Smile )
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:30 am
Okay I promise not to wear them outside anymore Sad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:02 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah, and sweat pants look remarkably like pajamas.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:05 pm
@roger,
one of my best mechanic buddies works in sweat pants. every day...

I tell him I can't imagine working on cars in my jammies.

one day he wore shorts.

I asked him to go put sweat pants on...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:09 pm
https://www.pajamajeans.com/

Two birds with one stone, or the death of fashion?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:12 pm
hmmm....I guess I'll be the contrary one here.

I would TOTALLY wear pj's all the time, every day if I could.

The FIRST thing I do when I get home is shower, then put on a tank and pair of knee length sweat type pants (only lighter material)
If I have to step outside or run to the store, visit someone, etc. that's what I'm wearing.

If someone doesn't like it, they don't need to look.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:19 pm
otis wears a pair of these when he invites the ladies over.

http://www.gardenstonepetmemorials.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/1_cat_red_pajamas1.jpg